Doctor Who - the Next Doctor

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Some of you know that I'm an avid Doctor Who fan, having watched the show since 1973! So last night I was glued to the TV watching Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor where they revealed the actor who will play the Twelfth Doctor when Matt Smith leaves at Christmas.

That actor is of course, Peter Capaldi.

Some of you may know him as Malcolm Tucker, the rather sweary character from The Thick of It.

So, what do you think of this choice for the next Doctor?

I'm rather pleased with the choice. It's nice to see them choosing an older, established actor in the role. I'm hoping that he'll bring more depth to the character and get us away from the young lovey-dovey silliness that we've had in recent years (not that I've disliked Matt Smith or David Tenant, I haven't, I'd just like to see less romance and a bit less of the OTT humour).

There are already YouTube clips up which combine the Malcolm Tucker character with Doctor Who. Please remember if you are to post anything like that on here to put them in spoiler tags for those folk who are at work. Ta. :)

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A friend posted this on facebook earlier...

Peter Capaldi plays a doctor in the movie World War Z working for the World Health Organisation...A Doctor working for the W.H.O...
A Doctor W.H.O...Doctor Who......oh forget it...

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm pleased. I stopped watching Dr Who with the Matt bloke as he just annoys the feck out of me. David Tennant was superb. Sylvester McCoy will still be my favourite though closely followed by I think he's called Peter Davidson.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yep, the entry on his IMDB page of films he's been in reads

World War Z (2013)
W.H.O. Doctor

and on the World War Z page

Peter Capaldi
...​
W.H.O. Doctor

Peter Capaldi has previously starred in Doctor Who as Caecilius in The Fires of Pompei, a story with the Tenth Doctor (David Tenant). He's not the first Doctor to have appeared previously in the show. Colin Baker (Sixth Doctor) previously played Commander Maxil in The Arc of Infinity, a Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison) story.

There have also been companions and other characters over the years who have appeared in various roles. Most recent are Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) who previously played a Soothsayer in The Fires of Pompeii and Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) who previously played Adeola, a Torchwood employee in Army of Ghosts.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm pleased. I stopped watching Dr Who with the Matt bloke as he just annoys the feck out of me. David Tennant was superb. Sylvester McCoy will still be my favourite though closely followed by I think he's called Peter Davison.
Fixed that for you. :)

So why was Sylvester McCoy your favourite? Is he your first 'main' Doctor that you remember growing up with? For me it's Tom Baker. I started with Jon Pertwee but only saw a few episodes of his in 1973 before he left and Tom took over and remained in the role for 7 years.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
;) I was so convinced it was going to be Christopher Biggins ;).

I like the choice, hoping he'll bring back a darker edge to the Dr, as did David Tenant and Tom Baker.

Matt Smith was OK, I think the writing let him down a lot, it wasn't the strongest if I'm honest.

My favourite Dr, definately Tom, followed closely by David. Not to upset you Plax but I hated Sylvester, and he was the reason I stopped watching it, it being completely stupid, wasn't that big a fan of Colin either.

It does amuse me that they keep saying 12 Dr's, when there as actually been 13. Everyone forgets about poor old Peter Cushing, even Bernard last night, and he was in the film with him :lol:. (or 14 if you include John Hurt )

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Fixed that for you. :)

So why was Sylvester McCoy your favourite? Is he your first 'main' Doctor that you remember growing up with? For me it's Tom Baker. I started with Jon Pertwee but only saw a few episodes of his in 1973 before he left and Tom took over and remained in the role for 7 years.
Probably. The only 3 I really remember watching as a child are Peter Davison, Colin Barker and Sylvester McCoy, with McCoy being the one that was on when I was at the impressionable age stage I guess. By the time Paul McGann scame along I'd stopped watching Dr Who. I'd have discovered boys and alcohol by that point :)

@SHROUD, How very dare you insult my Sylvester like that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I love Doctor Who. I was gutted when Christopher Eccleston left, and was very vocal there on in about each and every replacement. Truth be told, each new Doctor seems to take the role to new heights, as theyve all been good. Ive absolutely no doubt this new guy will be just as good as all the others.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It does amuse me that they keep saying 12 Dr's, when there as actually been 13. Everyone forgets about poor old Peter Cushing, even Bernard last night, and he was in the film with him :lol:. (or 14 if you include John Hurt )
We don't actually know the story of the John Hurt Doctor - he could be an older version of the Paul McGann Doctor for all we know. We'll have to wait until 23rd November to find out.

As for Peter Cushing, he isn't another Doctor, he is the First Doctor played by a different actor (the 'proper' one was William Hartnell). The First Doctor has also been played by Richard Hurndall in the 1983 story, The Five Doctors. He was in this 20th anniversary episode because William Hartnell had died in 1975.

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of Doctor Who until the Christopher Eccleston reboot, I don't recall watching it at all when I was a kid. So either that's down to a very poor memory, or we never had it on in my house, there's a 50/50 chance it could be either :)

I adored Christopher and David's doctors, unfortunately Matt Smith's doctor has not been for me, I prefer the doctor when he has a dark streak to him and that's something that Matt Smith's doctor doesn't have, although I'm sure he appeals to many.

I thought for sure that we would see a younger doctor given that he tends to get younger with each regeneration. Aneurin Barnard (Richard from the White Queen) had also been tipped for the role and I really thought it could be him.

Ive seen a massive amount of support for the choice of the next doctor online, Ive never seen him in anything, so for me Im really not to sure. Ill have to check out some episodes of the Thick Of It, hopefully its on Netflix :D

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not a fan of new doctors, Tom Baker was great , also liked Sylvester who was served some of worse scripts ever and deserved better. I also quite liked Colin Baker, i think all these three gave Dr some character befitting his alien nature and great age, recent kiddiwink doctors have only been playing at it.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Still you've got to tip the hat to Doctor Who. The longest running scifi series in the world is no small achievement. Its weird watching it with my kids as I watched it as a kid. A nice British institution. :bow:

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Definitely, it was a stroke of genius whoever came up with the regeneration angle. Effectively making the series never ending.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Definitely, it was a stroke of genius whoever came up with the regeneration angle. Effectively making the series never ending.
Technically there is an ending. Time Lords have 12 regenerations in their lifetime and the Doctor is about to have his 11th when he transforms from Smith to Capaldi (assuming the Hurt Doctor isn't another regeneration and is an older version of McGann's Eighth Doctor). That would mean that the Doctor only has 1 more regeneration after that.

However, we know that the Master has previously used up all of his regenerations, has taken over bodies in The Keeper of Traken and the Doctor Who movie, was offered more regenerations in the Classic series for helping the Time Lords and was resurrected by the Time Lords to fight in the Time War. He was also resurrected again for the final David Tenant story.

So no doubt if Doctor Who remains successful the writers will find a neat way to extend the Doctor's life beyond the standard 12 regenerations.