The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS4 Dipped my little toe in!

Discussion in 'Warframe' started by NVranya, 14 May 2018.

1. NVranya

NVranya Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    So, this weekend I finally dipped my little toe in the waters of Warframe.
    My previous experience with this game is almost zero, so I really started from scratch with no prior baggage.

I've almost unlocked all of Venus now, and am at rank 2, and have some of my weapons maxed out.
    I use the starter Excalibur frame, the default blade and gun, but bought a bow since I preferred the blade/bow combination over a rifle. (sorry, unfamiliar with all the names yet so can't be more specific).
    Have merged some mods and accidentally upgraded slots (?) one time in a "ohhh.. what does this button do"-kinda move, costing me platinum too I think.

Now, before I waste time or goodies, are there any pitfalls to be aware of as beginner?
    And, should I replace maxed out weapons by buying new ones? The standard blade seems to work less the further I get in the game, or is that because of my own level/rank?
    Or should I just play along until I reach a point X before diving in deeper in the mechanics?

I know there is info out there, but too much even and some outdated, so I ask you nice people for some quick beginner tips :angel: (or just point me at a good and updated beginners' page online)

Cheers!

WetPaintGaming and zoob like this.
  2. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    JJigbeE.png uqSxITt.png
    These pics were suoer helpful when i started.
    Don't try to get too far too quickly, Just enjoy the game.
    Use the auto install mods button until you get used to what all the mods do.
    You don't need to spend platinum to advance in the game, everything can be unlocked/obtained by playing.

NVranya and WetPaintGaming like this.
  3. WetPaintGaming

WetPaintGaming Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    Good choice on Excalibur, one of the most powerful frames there is with his 4th power Exalted Blade. I use him even now occasionally.

Tips:

1) Bookmark the Wiki: WARFRAME Wiki This is your bible and a superb source of information.
    2) Don't talk about Fight Club
    2) Let @HERMAN_JELMET know you are playing and he can send you a clan invite. This will be a key Blueprint in your INBOX you need to build in your FOUNDRY.
    3) Make sure you have bookmarked the Wiki: WARFRAME Wiki because of all the terms I might use that you don't understand.
    4) I think there are still FREE Playstation Plus packs available for Warframe that are free to download if you are a member. These include credits and Platinum (Real money ingame currency) Please be aware these may include 3 DAY BOOSTERS so you might want to do this just before a weekend.
    5) New weapons and frames need to be levelled to increase your MASTERY RANK (Your overall account level which adds benefits) but you only have limited inventory slots that cost Platinum to buy more of. You can sell old weapons and frames for a low credit value to make room (Never ever sell Excalibur !!) most are poor even at level 30 especially early on when you have limited modding capabilities.
    6) Most new frames and weapons will cost you PLATINUM (make sure you know what the Platinum icon looks like) but some of the early ones cost credits. Weapons that can be bought can also be built if you buy their BLUEPRINTS from the MARKETPLACE console but you will need to familiarise yourself with what buttons do what on the MARKETPLACE so you don't buy anything accidentally. (You almost always get a "Are you sure" prompt appear). These BLUEPRINTS cost credits and you need to have the resources, which drop from enemies, lockers, boxes ingame, and then more credits to build them.
    7) You will ALWAYS be short of credits for everything you want to do until you have put in thousands of hours or about three years of gaming. That's just part of the grind but your FIRST mission of the day is ALWAYS DOUBLE CREDITS and once you get a DARK SECTOR (Complete all missions on a planet) available to play this should be you first mission each day as they offer high credit amounts.
    8) Login EVERY day even if you don't intend to play as you get a bonus each day.
    9) Look up EXTRACTORS (Extractor) because once you have cleared a planet you can start to place some of these to help your resource collection. Build twice as many as you can place so one can 'heal up' while you place another one down.
    10) I'm more than happy to help explain, assist or walk you through anything, although it can get pretty indepth and boring (me especially) so be warned. I'm on most evenings so just contact me for any help if/when required.

There are plenty of other tips I am sure but Warframe has so much for new players to do it can get very overwhelming if you stretch yourself too much. But most importantly just enjoy the game.

HERMAN_JELMET likes this.
  4. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    @HERMAN_JELMET lol, based on the frosty Venus environment, I had guessed cold vs. Corpus and heat vs. Grineer.... I'll print these for reference! (no, I cannot remember that)
    Auto install? Really? Never seen that work that well, but if you say so....
    I know about platinum (except some cosmetics), but as I said... oops, and I'll try that enjoying thing you mentioned :mrgreen:

points 1 & 3: alright, that's a good site I guess.
    2: I think he knows now, or should I sent some ingame message?
    4: I picked up one, dunno exactly what was in it but the store said "free" :oops:
    6: That's not what @HERMAN_JELMET said. So, can everything be unlocked without platinum or not, as @WetPaintGaming says?
    7: :cry:
    8: :cry:not likely possible
    9: cool, thanks, as I've almost done Venus (I think)
    10+: Yeah, really a lot, that's why I inquired for the basics.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.
    And can you go to a back ally and find out who is right about this (and remember rule #2!)

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    You can spend plat or you can trade or you can farm for items.

6. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    As with most things Warframe I didn't explain myself enough.....

@HERMAN_JELMET is right EVERYTHING in the game can be bought for credits for it's Blueprint or already pre-built.

I just meant there are some early weapons, you should perhaps look for, that are bought ALREADY BUILT with credits ONLY and that not all pre-built weapons need to be purchased with Platinum.

Just making sure you don't waste any of your free Platinum by a mistake.

7. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    Well, I found another useful tip for myself and just thought I add it here for future viewers... bulletjump...
    I was wondering why I was so slow compared to (some) other players, so I Google'd a bit and found out about this (besides possible frame and mod boosts).
    First I thought I missed a tutorial about this, but seeing I'm not the only noob who didn't know I guess there is no tutorial for this.

Especially chaining the bullet jump + double jump + "glide" (or what's that called) seems handy to know to cross certain areas.
    But also wall clinging (which was part of same video and I also didn't know)
    Now I only need to practice... damn you work! :rant::oops:

HERMAN_JELMET likes this.
  8. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    Here's something I thought you might find use @NVranya :

New Player Modding Guide - Warframe

NVranya likes this.
  9. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    Thanks, I’ll take a peek tomorrow! :thumbup:

Today I hit a snag. My weapons are becoming too noob (even with mods) for the missions, but the next versions are for rank 3.
    I’m kinda stuck at 2.65-ish now.
    What is the best/easiest way to tackle this ranking hurdle?

10. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    The ways to increase your Mastery Rank are:
    • Bringing up the ranks of Weapons, Sentinel weapons, and Archwing weapons will earn 100 mastery points for each rank gained up to Rank 30 for a total of 3,000.
    • Bringing up the ranks of Warframes, Companions and Archwings earn 200 mastery points for each rank gained up to Rank 30 for a total of 6,000.
    • Clearing the main objective of any Mission node for the first time and extracting will grant a predetermined number of mastery points (Map progress can be viewed in the general stats in the profile menu).
    • Victory against the opponent frame in a Junction grants 1,000 mastery points.
    Companions probably should be your next move as these stick with you and can help kill things and keep you alive too. Carrier is especially good for new players although you can get the Taxon BP from the Earth Junction.
    So maybe we need to look at you going to farm bosses for other Warframe parts to build them? I know Rhino (Always useful tank frame) is obtained from the Venus boss.
    I would also look into buying the BRATON from the Marketplace for 25,000 credits. A decent automatic rifle for your level.
    For a melee the Orthos might prove useful as it has a decent range to it rather than the limited Skana sword.

I can also pass on some 'starter' mods you might find useful if you don't already have them. Be aware you can only trade daily as many times as your Mastery level and everything costs credits depending on level and rarity. Common (2,000) Uncommon (4,000) and Rare (8,000) mods all cost credits to trade before you even level them up just so you know.

This is a good way to stop new players just leaping ahead too much before they've learnt the game. We can always run a few high credit/XP missions to help you along as well as get some rarer resources too.

I think that's enough homework for you tonight, just don't forget to show your working.

11. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    Cheers!
    Yeah, the problem was with the missions, but I'm progressing again.
    For one thing, I thought I could only build one item at a time in the foundry, because, well, that's how it is in most games where you can craft.
    But... lo and behold, we can multi-craft, so no need to wait for one item before starting the next! :oops:

So I now have an Archwing to level up, although I'm not really liking the flying around much, but at least I'm progressing again towards rank 3 where I can buy the weapons I want.

And that's a nice tip about the Taxon, I had that BP without even knowing I had that, but building that now, as well as 2 Rhino pieces as that will probably be my next frame then.
    Also have an egg waiting to spawn some critter that can help me (that one from Grineer-Earth-forest tiles), but I need something for that before it can hatch and I think I don't have the right planet for that yet. But since I'll have that Taxon soon, the beast can wait.

I do think it's a little strange unconventional that you're being forced to change weapons/frames/etc. because I kinda liked what I had, but at least it keeps things fresh!
    Anyways, we're back on track!

One more noobish question, is there any correlation between enemy ranks and my weapon-/frame-/master ranks?
    For example is it "do not attempt to tackle enemies 12-18 before you're master rank 3", or is it just "higher levels punch harder and can take more, just buy better weapons if you fail"?

Again, thanks for all the tips and info, much appreciated. :bow:

WetPaintGaming likes this.
  12. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    Enemy level is purely based on the mission. You should see the information when you hover over the mission itself. Enemy faction, enemy level and mission type should be displayed. If you are doing 'endless' style missions Defense, Survival etc etc then enemy levels scale up the longer you stay in the mission.

There was a recent rework on the weapons were Mastery Rank of a weapon was more indicitive of it's power but this isn't always necessarily the case as it's also to do with the power and quality of the mods you put into a weapon. There are only a few good weapons you can get early on and these are pretty dependent on the mods you own too.

MR2 Vectis A very good sniper rifle but will be tricky to use because it's a sniper and scopes in rather than a rifle which just zooms in a bit while aiming.
    MR4 Hek A high power shotgun, that I will get you an augment mod for to help, but this could see you through most of the star chart with a decent mod set up
    MR5 Dread It's blueprint is dropped by The Stalker, who hunts you after you fight bosses if he marks you (You get an inbox message) Still arguably the best bow in the game.
    MR6 Soma The first weapon I truly came to rely on in Warframe for a long time. Seems to have low stats compared to most but if you add critical chance and damage mods it's beastly.

That's just the primaries, there are a few useful secondaries and melees but I don't want to overload you with info.

Basically a bad weapon with good mods can become useful, a good weapon with bad mods will be ok, but a good weapon with good mods see you far.

With Warframe the key is not wanting too much too soon, easy to say when you've been playing as long as me I know, but you reach points were you need to work on improving the stuff you have rather than trying the next shiny thing straight away. But some of those shiny things are really nice though :D

13. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    For the future if you are still playing:

Warframe: Best Credit & Endo Farming Missions 2018 (For Beginners/Veterans )

IamNumber6 and NVranya like this.
  14. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    Yep, but no need for credits or Endo yet (would not yet know how to spend it all).
    Currently slowly working my way through the missions - I'm at MR3 now - and waiting for my Rhino which is in the oven!

Some signs of repetitiveness are already showing, but since I still like it, that's no issue yet. Well... except some Archwing race which I hated and tried at least 6 times before finally killing 1/3 transports in the last seconds, blegh, do not want to do that again.
    Getting a bit of a grasp on things now, but, still, lots to learn and that video will probably get more relevant sooner than I want it to :shock:

Edit: about repetitive: I know the plains are different, but I've been advised to stay clear of that except for quickly unlocking the path)

WetPaintGaming likes this.
  15. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    Luckily never had to do those Archwing missions I think I only attempted it once and disliked it so never bothered since. There are ways to make it a bit easier with a different archwing that relies more on speed and rapid movement but that's for later.

It will get a little less repititous once you have more of a variety of frames and weapons to use plus playing in a 'mostly' co-ordinated group vastly improves this even if you run the same stuff over and over.

I still play a fair bit solo but it just becomes much more fun when you are with at least one more person for which @Skarpar unfortunately bears most of the brunt.

As for the plains I would leave them for now as the scope could be a bit daunting possibly. I will happily shephard you around a little at some point if you want but there's nothing there really that you need at the moment I would say.

Bit if it adds some variety to stale gameplay then by all means visit them.

16. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    But don't you need them to use extractors on completed planets?

17. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    Yes you do and as usual I haven't explained things very well.

The Star Chart was changed, again, about a year ago or so which is when this mission mode was first brought in. But having completed this node in the previous iteration, or more likely the one before the one before that, my progress was kept regardless of whether the mission has been altered.

NVranya likes this.
  18. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    Hopefully some of this will be useful information although much of it will be beyond you for a while yet:

Warframe - Full Primary Re-Review 2018

HaloJ and NVranya like this.
  19. WetPaintGaming

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    WetPaintGaming
    I know these might not be too applicable anymore for the OP ;) but I thought I'd continue to post, hopefully, useful content here in case anyone else might need it in the future, anyway:

Warframe - Full Secondary Review 2018

NVranya, HERMAN_JELMET and zoob like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice