Other Did you fail miserably to get hold of a SNES Mini?

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Then why not try a Super Nt form Analogue. Currently available for pre-order in four colours, the Super Nt is compatible with your old SNES cartridges and outputs to a HD resolution. Whilst no controller is supplied with the machine (God knows why...) two slots are provided on the front for the original SNES controller, alternatively 8bitdo have released 4 versions of it SN30 controller to compliment the unit

Compatibility
  • - SNES cartridges, Super Famicom cartridges*
  • - Region Free
  • - Worldwide Compatibility [PSU: 100-240v, 50-60hz]
Video
  • - HDMI 1080p/720p/480p
  • - NTSC & PAL Support
  • - Lag free, zero signal degradation
Audio
  • - 48KHz 16 bit
  • - Digital audio via HDMI
Special Features
  • - Original-style SNES/SFC Controller Ports
  • - SD card firmware updating [via Super Nt SD card slot]
Other Features
  • - Scanline options
  • - Scaler options
  • - Horizontal position adjust
  • - Horizontal stretch
  • - Vertical position stretch
  • - & more

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Nice find. Luckily I got myself a SNES mini. Will be kept in the box for about a decade. Hopefully to sell it with a decent profit.

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't know the price of your find, but why not get a Retron5 (£139.97) instead:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyperkin-RetroN-Retro-Gaming-System/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508411759&sr=8-1&keywords=retron+5

Product Description
The RetroN 5 has 5 cartridge slots allowing you to use original NES, SNES, Genesis, Famicom, and Game Boy Advance cartridges. You can also use Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Game Boy Color and Game Boy cartridges as well! Gone are the region lock restrictions of the previous versions and you are now free to play NTSC or PAL cartridges without any trouble.

Plays original NES, SNES, Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance cartridges..

HDMI output (with 720p upscaling!), a USB port for charging of the wireless controller, SD card slot for firmware updates and an AC Adapter to power up the system..

Region free - Will play PAL and NTSC cartridges..

Comes with a wireless controller which utilises Bluetooth technology, allowing 15 feet of game play..

Use any controller you desire for any system (including Mega Drive, SNES and NES).

This new controller will also have a Microswitch Directional Pad instead of a traditional directional pad. Along with 6 face buttons, two shoulder buttons, a start and select button, and 4 LED light indicators to display the player number, there is also a Home button that will serve multiple functions; one is to sync the controller to the console, but to also gain access to the Game User Interface (GUI) at any point during gameplay.

Save your game at any point during gameplay.

Box Contains
Includes: 1 Bluetooth Wireless Controller, 1 HDMI Cable, and 1 AC Adapter with 4 variable head sockets.

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's nice but where is the TurboGrafx/PC Engine slot?

If I was going to venture down this path I'd go for the Retro Freak UK/EU Premium Edition (£199.99)

Retro Freak UK and EU Edition Premium Edition

So its got a wired pad... but it can play the original cartridges from PC Engine, TurboGrafx, NES, SEGA Mega Drive, SEGA Genesis, Famicom, Nintendo Game Boy and more whilst being able to rip and install games on to the console with an SD Card.

It has HDMI output, HD up-scaling, instant saving and cheat codes.

The premium version also ships with a controller adapter that supports TurboGrafx, Famicom, Super Famicom, and SEGA Genesis Controllers.

:P

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Only wow, that's a hell of a device. Unfortunately not pretty, but as the reviews say of better build quality than the Retron.
Great find.

• Supports more than 9000 retro games for 12 Legacy Consoles: NES, FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis, Megadrve, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, TurboGrafc-16, PC Engine and PC Engine Super Grafx!
  • HDMI output and HD up-scaling. Transfer Original cartridge Data into microSD Card (NOT included) for a Digital Archive
  • Advanced Emulator Options including multiple save states, filters, cheat codes, and more! Upgradeable firmware
  • Use USB controllers from PS3, PS4, etc. Configurable controller button layout. NES adapter includes controller adapter for TurboGrafx, Famicom, Super Famicom, and SEGA Genesis controllers.
  • 3-Flat UK Plug and 2-Round EU Plug included.
1 neu ab EUR 221,50

Produktbeschreibungen
This incredible Retro Gaming Console enables you to play the original games from 12 legacy consoles! It also allows you to rip and install games on to the console with the use of an SD card! The device comes with an HDMI output and supports HD up-scaling, instant saving and cheat codes which can be found online. The Retro Freak retro games Console comes in two main parts. The largest of the two is the cartridge adapter, whilst the smallest part hides underneath emulating all your favorite old school games.It will also work with modern USB PS3, PS4, etc controllers. It also comes with controller adapter for TurboGrafx, FC, SFC, and SEGA Genesis Controllers.

You can play 12 kinds of console games:
- NES
- FAMICOM (FC)
- SFC
- SNES
- Game Boy
- Game Boy Color
- Game Boy Advance
- MEGA Drive
- Genesis
- PC-Engine
- TurboGrafix-16
- PC-Engine Super Grapfx

Features
- More than 9000 retro games from 12 kinds of consoles
- Transfer Original cartridge Data into SD Card (excluded) For a Digital Archive
- HDMI output allows you to connect your TV/Monitor
- Quick Save function allows you to save the game data in anyplace
- Image and sound quality can be set easily
- Advanced Emulator Options including multiple save states, filters, cheat codes, and more! Upgradeable firmware
- USB Pad is supported. When you are using the "Controller Adapter", the original pads can be used as well.
- Includes controller adapter for TurboGrafx, FC, SFC, and SEGA Genesis controllers
- English language is supported.
- Game Card/ Software is NOT included.

Package Include:
1 x Console
1 x Cartridge Adapter
1 x NES Adapter
1 x Original Controller Adapter
1 x Retro Freak Controller
1 x HDMI Cable
1 x USB Cable
1 x AC Adaptor (UK & EU Plug)

* No physical manual included. It was saved in the console.

Also, PS4 controllers? Really. Need! :D
But a very expensive toy and currently I have no budget for that.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@DeanKind needs to come in on this chat...

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Then why not try a Super Nt form Analogue. Currently available for pre-order in four colours, the Super Nt is compatible with your old SNES cartridges and outputs to a HD resolution. Whilst no controller is supplied with the machine (God knows why...) two slots are provided on the front for the original SNES controller, alternatively 8bitdo have released 4 versions of it SN30 controller to compliment the unit

Compatibility
  • - SNES cartridges, Super Famicom cartridges*
  • - Region Free
  • - Worldwide Compatibility [PSU: 100-240v, 50-60hz]
Video
  • - HDMI 1080p/720p/480p
  • - NTSC & PAL Support
  • - Lag free, zero signal degradation
Audio
  • - 48KHz 16 bit
  • - Digital audio via HDMI
Special Features
  • - Original-style SNES/SFC Controller Ports
  • - SD card firmware updating [via Super Nt SD card slot]
Other Features
  • - Scanline options
  • - Scaler options
  • - Horizontal position adjust
  • - Horizontal stretch
  • - Vertical position stretch
  • - & more
This looks an awesome machine but will it be for UK cause it seems to be US/Japan

I love the idea of snes mini but limited to 22 games. I been looking at the retron for a while and I am tempted with both machines but defiantly want hd and wireless controllers

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am also still searching for retros in shelves for when I finish my office.
Rooting for the originals or get an all-in-one? Hard decision.

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it just you that is going to see them in your new office?

The all-in-ones are pretty decent due to their space saving abilities though the originals if you can get them looking like they are new and displayed in a nice presentation case would look the bees knees.

You could always try my number 3 option ... buy 'em, play 'em a few times and then shove them in the back of a cupboard in a storage box never to see the light of day again :evil:

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Neither, nor. I will get some nice display cabinets, but mostly for the stuff I already have.
So no need to get more stuff, but if I get the chance to grab some cheap, why not.
Some weeks ago I grabbed an N64 for 5€ so it will get in there, but I won't buy classics for lots of bucks and the reason for them just to be there.

So an all in one system would be cool, so I can grab some memorable carts and play them on a space saving machine.

And thanks for your option III, but I'll pass on that. I already have so much crap laying around in the corners, I will get in trouble for getting more :D

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Someone in work pointed out that the snes mini is now back on sale on Amazon (£137.90), seems a lot for a few retro games

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Someone in work pointed out that the snes mini is now back on sale on Amazon (£137.90), seems a lot for a few retro games
Clocked it on sale in CEX for approximately £2,000,000 with its baby bro the NES mini just a few squid cheaper. Cants.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok slight exaggeration - £150 and £135, the RRP I think. For second hand. In demand.

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm still considering treating my self to the RetroFreak this Christmas

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Super Turrican which was released by Factor 5 in 1993, it had to be cut down from a 6 Mb cartridge to a 4 Mb cartridge to accommodate the publisher. Somewhere, that original Super Turrican existed, waiting for a chance to be released in its entirety. When Analogue’s Super NT is released early next year, the unedited game — now dubbed Super Turrican: Director’s Cut — will be included with every console, along with an SNES-style cartridge box.

High-end SNES console getting its own unreleased classic