• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers formed in 2012. We started as PlayStation gamers but now we are fully multi-platform with members also playing on PC, Xbox, Switch and other platforms.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Multi Destiny: The Dark Below reviews

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Reviews are starting to appear for Destiny's The Dark Below DLC.

Eurogamer 6/10
Destructoid 6.5/10
Polygon 5/10

Quoting from the last paragraphs:

Eurogamer said:
The Dark Below feels like an early misstep for Destiny, then. Multiplayer fans will appreciate the new maps, the bounty-style quest steps are a good idea and there is certainly plenty of stuff to do and unlock, but in a game where the content has worn thin so quickly, taking aim at our precious loot just at the point we finish upgrading it is a huge mistake. It may be the accepted wisdom in other MMOs, but it doesn't suit Destiny, and Bungie will now have to find something else that does. In the meantime, the developer will need to hope that this expansion, which should have reinvigorated the game as players grew bored of it, doesn't send them on their way instead.
Destructoid said:
For now, there's an easy test to judge whether or not you should pick up The Dark Below: did you play Destiny from launch all the way up until the first expansion? If so, you'll want to get it as soon as possible. If your enthusiasm has faltered over the past few months and you never really got into the first raid, you can wait or pick up the Season Pass at a later date after more incremental improvements have been made.
Polygon said:
THE DARK BELOW FAILS TO EARN THE TERM "EXPANSION"

I've gotten all the way to this point without mentioning The Dark Below's price of admission, a steep $19.99. The problem isn't just that, and I wouldn't feel much better if the cost were much lower. The Dark Below is thin on content, and it fails to expand the scope of Destiny in any meaningful way. Bungie has adopted language from the MMO genre to describe this DLC as an "expansion," but the studio doesn't establish any legitimate claim to the term.
For those of you who have purchased the DLC, what do you think? Do you agree with these reviews? Do you think the DLC is worth the money and adds a decent bit of content to the game, or is overpriced and underwhelming?

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Overpriced certainly. Slightly underwhelming in a way, but I'm playing it anyway. The DLC Murmer fusion rifle is really good though, and I have yet to try the raid or crucible maps.

EDIT - the DLC sparrow is fun.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is the fusion rifle only so good because it has two different elements on it?

Just from what I can tell you have to go into the weapons upgrade tree to switch, which is slower than switching between two fusion rifles.....shame they didn't make the reload button switch element types if the weapon didn't need a reload.

I'm glad they're getting slated for this, they've delivered a decent game and then tried to screw people over on content.

I would like to see them fix the fact that they've taken things away from non-DLC owners and made the end game stuff easier to complete by making it stupidly easy to get to level 30 now...and level 31 too.

I would then like to see them half the price point for DLC packs, give those who have bought this DLC the next one for free and double the content that season holders get for their £35 so that people are actually getting good value for money.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I just like it. Looks bad ass and has quite a good impact and charge rate. Bonus that you can switch between the elements. I'm sure there are probably better ones out there though. I prefer it over the exotic fusion rifle I have.

WetPaintGaming

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
From my favourite place for gaming reviews, the Entertainment -> GAMING section of the Metro.

Also/previously known as Gamecentral and Digitiser back in the C4 telelext days for those of you that remember.

Anyway: http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/10/destiny-the-dark-below-sort-of-review-below-standard-4981248/

From my friends who like and play a lot of Destiny they say, yes it expensive but they like it.
From those who don't play much Destiny, it's expensive but they're playing other games anyway so they don't care :D

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All DLC is overpriced, most of it is stuff that should have been in the original game but was left out to eek more money out of the suckers who buy it.
Can't blame them for doing it, it's here to stay as long as people keep on dishing out there pennies for it.

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think it's totally over priced for what you actually get in a dlc, but I brought it anyway. The story missions and the strikes are alright, nothing special really.
I have only come across a few new weapons, my favorite being the Murmur fusion rifle, so can't really comment on how good the others are.
I would really like to give the raid a go, but it's just trying to get enough people on, who have the dlc and the light level and weapons to cause havoc.
Considering the content was already on the disk from release, it seems like a bit of a money making con on Bungies behalf.

Jousting

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
personally, I think it's ridiculously overpriced for the content, there's so much recycling going on its untrue, there's no new enemy's, & no new planets, only 3 story missions, one of which you can't replay(allegedly) we're treated to a couple of new areas to the same maps we already have. The psn exclusive strike is like a cut down version of the nexus strike but easier, you just walk the opposite way from the black garden, (really bungie is that the best you could manage)
The strike is difficult, that's good, still nothing new.
There's new weapons and armor, that's also good, but, I felt a big f u from bungie when I realised all the time and grinding, and farming, and grinding I've put in for the last 3 months counts for f all now, every weapon I've leveled up needs replacing, the raid armour that was so hard to get is now useless, hell you can buy armour now that has better stats than was available in the previous hard raid.
I'm not going to comment on how bungie has screwed all the non dlc players, not my problem, I have the dlc. Plus I think that'll fix itself next week.
The new raid is so linear, it feels like they gave up, compared to the last one it's child's play, the enemies are difficult but there's no real stratergy, stand here kill that, run there, repeat. Crotas is a pain to beat, but only because it's new.
There's new bounties to complete, to level up your eris rep to ensure you can level up and max your new gear you now need, thanks for that.

Crucible had some new maps..........great

Has any of this stopped me playing all night every night.......hell no. I unashamedly love it (and hate it) if you still like the game you'll probably enjoy the dlc, if you're already walking away you probably want to continue walking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Lol, that sums it up perfectly

Jousting

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Perfect, seen it before but still the best trailer around.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Im out, I don't think Bungie know what the hell they are trying to achieve, there is no ten year plan, ten years of making destiny themed games, but no worked step by step delivery plan. So many other more cohesive games out there.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
With all it's failings it's still a very enjoyable game that I've still only played half of (still no crucible)

I'm getting the majority of the "benefits" of the new DLC, such as all my weapons and armour being worthless now and having to grind again to upgrade weapons and buy new armour that is better than the best the game had to offer previously.

It's nice to think they'll get this game working well, but I think people will slowly start walking away now that the community has been split by the DLC....and I think the vast majority of people without the DLC are unlikely to be swayed into buying it after how badly it was implemented and how obscenely overpriced it is.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Has this game become easier to acquire armor since the update? In the past week my hunter has obtained 3 updated legendary pieces of the new armor and an improved exotic helmet from a zur engram, my warlock has picked up 2 improved boots and one improved arm armor and my titan has a new and improved helmet + an improved exotic helmet from another exotic engram.

I've never had so many legendary armor items in so short a time :woot:

Edit - I've only had to use 1 vanguard commendation (out of 2)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's definitely easier to acquire top end armour now.

Largely because you can simply buy it with vanguard marks.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not played the DLC but on my YouTube grinds I came across a user who seems to make some great points about the DLC, makes me think it was something we all should of had from the start.

Sorry I know this post is a month old but thought I would put this out there.

WetPaintGaming

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
An interesting video which makes some very salient points as well as some rather spurious ones ;), but overall worthwhile watching I think.

Thanks for posting it, regardless of how old it is, as it certainly echoes some of my thoughts on the game. Especially the mundanity of the general playing experience but particularly the cash grab/exploitative nature of the DLC.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That video sums up my feelings for Destiny and the direction of AAA gaming completely.

I was concerned about Destiny at Beta stage, something felt off but @Martok and I proceeded with pre-orders anyway although we did decide that it wasn't worth the extra money for the "additional content" and we'd see how the title panned out.

The overall quality of AAA gaming since the launch of the PS3/360 has been to dumb them the hell down to make them consumable. This dumbing down had a very positive effect at the beginning and gaming grew from it's niche male dominated market into something for all(1). With this dumbing down came an increase in profits and that was when I, a life long gamer, started to lose interest. My favourite titles of the last two generations have been disliked by the gaming communities that I have been around.

Resistance Fall of Man
A lack lustre single player with a brutal multiplayer. The community at the time disliked the multiplayer's pace and complexity. Some of the weapons were so unique people decided they weren't good to use. I regretted showing Martok how the arch charger worked as he owned me with all the time! Then came RFoM2, were they CoDified the multiplayer destroying the titles unique charm whilst stuffing the single player with a load of naff boss battles.

Warhawk : 120 hours
A third person shooter game of scissor - paper - stone. Brutally fast, with an uncomplex set of weapons, aircraft and ground/sea vehicles. The title had a unique twist in that whilst playing CTF for example there was also a sub game of conquest going on capturing and holding towns giving a team a base to attack the flag from. This nuance was the deciding factor in me practically playing this game on my own as again it was deemed to complex by the community at the time. A problem with the title was that if a team co-ordinated in the slightest then they dominated.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 : 100+ hours
An unfortunate cash grab by Ubisoft and was technically R6V1.5 it was still a solid title. Multiplayer was unbalanced but the PVE element of Terrorist Hunt was great and demanded players communicate. Unfortunately this title was let down by it's graphics with the masses as the oh so shiny Modern Warfare 2 was flashing it's pants.

Battlefield 3 : 100+ hours
Shame it took a year for BF3 to come out of beta but the final product was amazing. Although the flagrant money grabbers with their server costs for custom rotations whilst restricting DLC to single server rotations left a sour taste. Unfortunately EA decided to move onto BF4 to give themselves an excuse to make cash out of selling another broken game again.

Warframe : 300+ hours
It may not be as pretty as Destiny but hell it's got more gameplay variance than you could ever buy in Destiny. It seems complex and I admit the interface and introductory gameplay need polish but it continues to improve and does so without cost to the player. Characters and weapons are customised by dropped mods not built in specifics. Each of the myriad of 'frames has it's own unique personalities which combine to make great teamplay.

Key factors in all titles that I love is teamplay, communication and depth. Elements that are not seemingly considered good for a publishers pockets. I'm desperately hoping that the delay to The Division is not because the publisher is having second thoughts and is ripping everything out turning the title a movie with quick time events(2). Lets hope that it's delayed so that they can release a polished title and break the trend of the last two generations of patching cash grabs.

Abs

1 : ignoring the gratuitous objectivity of females, the get back in the kitchen abuse and the general rampant sexism.
2 : the very same reason the next Rainbow 6 is so long delayed as it was Dragons Lair in shooter form

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Halo, this should be a separate thread as you raise some great non destinydestiny points i am in broad agreement with. I don't see that making games more accessible has to mean dumbing them down or making them less challenging, but that has been the trend over recent years.

The problems that worry me are the death of narratives in games, where is the story these days, we have the means to do it as shown by some of the best games in recent times Like the last us. These days single player stories have been largely sidelined and crammed into cursory minimalist portions alongside bloated multiplayer points grinding machines.

It seems to me we are heading towards a Fps singularity where all games are largely the same, you have death match, team death match, CTF and some form of zone control, weapons to include pistol, assault rifle, token grenade, shotgun, machine gun,sniper and rocket launcher. This description could apply to probably 90% of fps games out there. Online coop may be the big new thing but actually its not that new its a form of r6 terrorist hunt, or the mission co op from ghost recon and an endless unlock path with endless gun varieties isn't going to make the game modes any more original.