• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers formed in 2012. We started as PlayStation gamers but now we are fully multi-platform with members also playing on PC, Xbox, Switch and other platforms.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Destiny public events

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Destiny's public events - scheduled challenges that occur in the game world - will happen more frequently, Bungie has said.

Public events occur within the game world, and typically involve a quick-fire alien invasion that tasks players who happen to be in the area with a timed challenge.

In a post on Bungie.net, the developer outlined a raft of upcoming events set for the coming months in the "shared-world shooter".

"Very soon, strange characters will arrive in the Tower with special offerings in hand," Bungie community manager David "Deej" Dague wrote.

"Public Events will erupt from the skies over your favorite destinations with greater frequency. And, Bungie will enter the fray with some bounties of our own for you to claim - if you can."

As for the events, from today, 12th September to 14th September the Salvage mode will be available in the Crucible, Destiny's competitive multiplayer portion. This 3v3 mode is set in small to medium sized maps, and charges teams with recovering relics.

Of particular interest, on 16th September the Vault of Glass level 26 raid becomes available. This six player co-op fight is billed as the hardest PvE encounter so far in Destiny, and rewards raid set gear.

There's more mystery over the Combined Arms event, which will happen at some point this month, and Queen' Wrath. In October the Iron Banner will begin. Those who played the Destiny will know this PVP mode, unlike the others, does not level the playing field.

Source.

Last edited:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Only managed one public event so far. They got away

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A couple of us managed to gold a public event last night, the event was to simply kill a single wizard, but it took all of our efforts to get it's shield down, if we weren't all continuously firing it replenished....very difficult but good fun.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Events are of course a bit harder, but do remember that for each shield type you should have (and wield) a different weapon!
So try to keep one of each (void, arc, solar) especially when you hit 20+.

(if you already knew, ignore this :D )

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Events are of course a bit harder, but do remember that for each shield type you should have (and wield) a different weapon!

I didn't understand a word. @Dogstar and @yinkin spend most of their time either reviving me showing me where ghosts or chests are or explaining to me what is going on. And that's *before* the wine.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wizards with shields? Heresay I say. Bring back the sleeves!

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didn't understand a word. @Dogstar and @yinkin spend most of their time either reviving me showing me where ghosts or chests are or explaining to me what is going on. And that's *before* the wine.
Hoping that you're still sober at this point.... :mrgreen:

Your weapons have different damage types, with "physical" being the default.
But some have a special damage type, shown by an icon:
  • Void:
  • Arc:
  • Solar:

Enemies have colored shields corresponding, so either purple, blue or orange shields.
So, if you see an enemy with a purple shield then pull out your Void weapon if you have it.
I've read here that on high levels using a wrong damage type results in 50% penalty on damage done.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks. I've never noticed what type of shields enemies have. At least I now know what those swirly colored things are on some weapons :D

Must pay more attention......

Think this is why i'm more into games that require no thought. Even at BF4 I don't really care/know what all the attachments and gadgets do. I just like to point in the general direction of a baddie, spray a load of bullets and hope for the best. Strategy is an alien concept to me.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hoping that you're still sober at this point.... :mrgreen:

Your weapons have different damage types, with "physical" being the default.
But some have a special damage type, shown by an icon:
  • Void:
  • Arc:
  • Solar:

Enemies have colored shields corresponding, so either purple, blue or orange shields.
So, if you see an enemy with a purple shield then pull out your Void weapon if you have it.
I've read here that on high levels using a wrong damage type results in 50% penalty on damage done.
How do I see the colour of their shield? This wizard I was killing...and indeed everything I recall seeing a shield on there are two bars that show above their head, the lower one is health and is red or yellow depending on how tough that enemy is, the upper one is always white from what I remember and that's the shield.

I'll pay more attention to this next time i'm on but so far can't say I've noticed any corresponding colours.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had the same initial problem as you had of not noticing/knowing.
Look at the glow around the mobs, not the bars.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This wouldn't be so bad if you could easily and quickly cycle through the weapons your holding. Having to go into a menu midfight is a bit naff.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A good Guardian is always prepared @mick :errno: :mock:

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That means run away and do it hiding somewhere...or after you respawn.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have noticed the aura now surrounding enemies.

I also explored the previously inaccessible places on the earth....not a great deal there to explore, there's an area under your starting spot that's got some high level enemies and is basically just a room, there's the ogre underneath the helicopter pad which is basically just a room and then there's the bit after the two beached ships and the bit going off from the strike mission where the wizards and stuff are.....these two areas actually link up which is cool and there's a bunch of level 20 enemies down there!

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@ColSonders The first one you described either has a dead ghost you can awaken ora chest, if i remember from DattoDoesDestiny youtube vids of the Beta

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

I did not know that! Thanks :)