• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Multi Destiny in the Press

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Reviews and opinion pieces about Destiny......

To kick off with, Polygon's thoughts on Destiny are worth a read just to see why the title scored a mediocre 6/10

Polygon Destiny Review

Already with only a small number of hours under my belt I can understand where they are coming from. The MMOesq scaling problems that I bemoaned during the Beta are still apparent as are the infinitely spawning MMOesq enemies. The loot gained is random and doesn't ever feel like your working to unlock something unlike Warframe's low budget but structured grind.

Abs

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What a ridiculous score!! Yeah it hasnt lived up to the hype, and it quite clearly isnt an MMO. But 6 out of 10?!?!

To put this in perspective, that means, according to Metacritic, that Hohokum and Pure Pool are all higher rated games on the ps4, ergo better. I own both of these, snd whilst good, they are by no means superior. And of course the bigger joke is that Road Not Taken svored higher too, which I thought was utter tripe.

Do yourselves a favour and unbookmark thesr sites. Clearly these clowns arent gamers or they wouldnt talk such bollux.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with @HaloJ on this. I'm liking it (well I was before it buggered up) but I don't see there being much life in it.
I finished the story, and now it seems like a load of bounties that seem to be repeated over and over is about all there is left to do.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Aye @Slaine reviews are of course click bait these days and scoring is often not consistent but their conjecture on the breadth of the title I agree with.

That isn't to say I'm not enjoying it though. Every mission so far we've opted for hard for the extra challenge and that has been working out rather well. OK challenge is bugs soak more damage but it's still fun.

Abs

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Haven't read, but they never claimed it to be an mmo?
I'm grinding for a legendary atm, and still liking it. Yes, not what I expected originally, but there'll be updates.
So far, 8/10 from me.

(In my days, that was considered a good score)

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As someone who loved the beta I can't see much life in the game, but that said Halo (sorry for bringing this game up) had no replay value after completing the story and was little more then then a online FPS I like the Destiny coop/fireteam system. Also although you don't get a sense of achievement with most loot system the game still hits home on what Destiny is. It's not pretending to be anything other then what it is.

I think Events and more DLC are going to be on the cards in a CoD BF3 style.

All this said I don't have the cash to get Destiny and all these mediocre reviews just means the game will be cheaper when I can't actually afford it

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All this said I don't have the cash to get Destiny and all these mediocre reviews just means the game will be cheaper when I can't actually afford it
Your Uncle is selling his copy for £35. I bet he'll let you have it with free postage as well :D

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Currently paying £125 a week for my son to go to nursery so no cash at all. Wish I had £35 to get it off him but no joy. Stupidly saved up for Destiny and got Archeage for my PC instead.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with @HaloJ on this. I'm liking it (well I was before it buggered up) but I don't see there being much life in it.
I finished the story, and now it seems like a load of bounties that seem to be repeated over and over is about all there is left to do.
One could argue the same about Diablo 3 but I won't. I hope The Division fares better!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Currently paying £125 a week for my son to go to nursery so no cash at all. Wish I had £35 to get it off him but no joy. Stupidly saved up for Destiny and got Archeage for my PC instead.
You'd have thought he'd let you have it for nothing. The tight arse!!;)

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think the real problem here is that fps games do not make good grind games, for whatever reason. Maybe its our own preconceptions, who knows? Diablo cracked it, and you really didnt mind playing the same levels over again.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Warframe cracked it, but then it also had a number of different maps for the same mission.

Same same but different and thats why I was happy to grind, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Destiny is still very ho-hum for me and im glad I didnt pay for it (directly) but what makes it playable is the people I play with. Maybe thats also why I enjoy Warframe so much.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
One could argue the same about Diablo 3 but I won't. I hope The Division fares better!
That's very true, I think there is more to do in diablo and now with the Mystic npc,and the mystery item npc I am loving it still. With all the different skill levels as well I can see me still playing it for a while yet. But yes it does get to be samey. (the new challenge mode helps this a bit)

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well Bungie have been claiming the game proper does not start til level 20, so I am withholding final judgement, so far a 7 or 8 from me. I am a little underwhelmed so far, on the one hand the shooting is slick and its pretty. On the other hand its pretty sparse too, move down an empty road, kill a mob, move on down road and after four or five mobs or so kill the boss and get the loot.

Part of the problem is that the promo stills put out by Bungie show wide open vistas that give an impression of a vast area to explore, but actually the levels are pretty enclosed and small, the wide open vistas are what you can see outside the playing area. The enemies are not especially imaginative in design or AI and the bosses so far have all been the usual large creature with a notable weak spot bullet sponge .
Where is the vehicle combat, space battles, towns to loot etc, all feels a bit thread bare at the moment.

multiplayer is quite bland which is a major sin from Bungie who were brilliant at it with halo, you can't configure matches like you could in halo 2, its a usual mix of death match, team deathmatch and domination.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
But DM, TDM etc are all the main modes for any multiplayer game. I agree Halo was great but years of the same thing made it boring. I can see DLC coming with some real big things getting added to extend the game, Bungie can't leave this game how it is especially with all the bad press and mediocre reviews.

They did make the mission area sound massive, then again going from the Beta I thought they were a good size.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
While TDM and DM are multiplayer staples, halo 2 also gave you capture the flag etc, plus you were able customise games to alter the physics and game parameters to keep it interesting, my favourite being skull ball, you got pts from holding the skull and while holding the skull you were invisible, the other players were hunting you til you were spotted then it was a mad free for all as they all tried to grab the skull. This wasn't an official game but could be configured as custom game.

I suggest this is the problem with the whole game, there is a lack of scope, it does what it needs to , but little else.

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Really? Do reviews really matter that much? If you like it play it. If you don't don't.

Expectation was too high and the fallout is inevitable. When Diablo 3 launched it was a shambles it has taken 2 years to fix and now people still play it who then said it was rubbish (which it was). Destiny is a game for the long haul and just enjoy the ride. Yes, it has issues but any game that means I get to hear Col get drunk over comms and pull off some ninja moves on Mars which makes me laugh so hard I get shot and die is OK by me :)