Dentists (and other nasties)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I broke a tooth a couple of weeks ago but couldn't get into the dentist until yesterday which I wasn't too concerned about as it wasnt hurting or anything.
Now, I use to be petrified of the dentist as a kid which im sure I got from my parents as they are still the same even now. Im not bothered at all now as I would much rather go than have toothache.

So, this brings me to my question for you all. Do you have any fears or phobias?

Mine is little furry things with teeth, like hamsters, gerbils, rabbits etc, I cant stand them. There cute n everything but I couldn't ever hold one

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I used to be very bad with needles. Not so bad now but I used to have to be held down as a child whenever they came near me with one. I can now give blood so long as I can't see the needle. However it makes me feel like I want to vomit and I have a tendency to faint.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Spiders, that is all.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My biggest pathalogical fear was dentists. I say was, as Ive conquered it by going to a really really good dentist (up Loose Road Mick if your interested). One of my earliest memories as a kid was being pinned down by about 4 people whilst they shoved a gas mask over my screaming face. I was only about 5ish. The dentist I found, quite by accident, I'd trust to give me a brazillian with a swiss army knife. She has such a good bedside manner and is so gentle and caring and understanding. Ive had two fillings and a tooth out with her, and no tears or screaming.

Im also a lot better with spiders now, and can actually sleep in the same room as them. But not moths or daddy long legs. They are natures biggest dumb asses. I mean what was God thinking about when he created a creature that instinctively flies into another creatures face/mouth??!?!

I also hate my butt being touched. Wierd I know. I'd make a crap gay. Not even by my wife either. It makes me feel so uncomfortable. So you can imagine how much I begged the hospital doctor during my stay 3 years ago not to make me have that suppository applied by that young nurse I had befriended during my time there. Suffice to say I had to have it, as I was so ill and in so much pain. But I still hate it being touched.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I share Plax's fobia for needles. Can't stand the pointy things.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Slugs. Not scared of them, just hate them passionately & quite happy to forego a lifetime's supply of salt to torture the feckers.

Dmk222

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My fear is dogs I can't go on my local park if there's loads of dogs around ,sounds strange seeing as we have a dog, if I know them I'm okay but random dogs I don't go near them ,I'm also afraid of the postman posting bills through our front door

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My fear is dogs I can't go on my local park if there's loads of dogs around ,sounds strange seeing as we have a dog, if I know them I'm okay but random dogs I don't go near them ,I'm also afraid of the postman posting bills through our front door
Do you have a fear of full stops too? ;) :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Something else I've thought of as well is Telephones, I really hate using telephones. I never answer the phone at home even if there is no-one else here.

Both my partner and I don't mind spiders at all, we leave them alone in the house and will only remove the cobwebs once they have left.

Dmk222

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Do you have a fear of full stops too? ;) :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
You let me down martok I thought you would have circled my mistake's , lol .

kencanvey

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a phobia of posting on forum.....................AAAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:

And really can not go to dentists and have not been for about 20 odd years!! I just have to put up with the pain!!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a phobia of posting on forum.....................AAAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:

And really can not go to dentists and have not been for about 20 odd years!! I just have to put up with the pain!!
Little tip for you Ken. Break up a paracetomol and rub it in to the effected tooth ache area. Tastes minging, but I promise you all pain will go. Doesnt sort the tooth out, as only a dentist can do this:roll:

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nothing I can think of, there are things I am wary of and treat with respect, but nothing that brings out any kind of irrational fear as such. Love spiders and suchlike, in fact I've taught Mini Shroud the same. I now have to protect wildlife from her :D. I tend to combat any nerves with knowledge, once I know what something is or what it does I seem to be more relaxed with it.

There are certain things I try to avoid like pain, morons, taxes (not done too well on that front :D), trekkers (sorry couldn't resist) and the London underground at peak periods.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I dont like big spiders, accountants, wasps ,clowns, or deep water. I dont mind rodents, dentists,hospitals, most other insects or high places.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So odontophobia seems to be the main fear here. No parcopresis sufferers here at all then.

kencanvey

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So odontophobia seems to be the main fear here. No parcopresis sufferers here at all then.
Quite frankly I could give a shit about parcopresis !! :lol:

and odontophobia sounds like a fear of Kenneth Williams sayings :rofl:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Quite frankly I couldn't give a shit about parcopresis !! :lol:
It bugs the shit out of me that most people use that phrase incorrectly, actually saying the opposite of what they mean.

Obviously if I suffered from parcopresis then people using that phrase incorrectly would be my medicine :D