PS3 Demon's Souls

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if many will have played this game, it's something i've heard over the years as being far too difficult.

It's one of those games I've always fancied and never got round to until recently and I have to say it's been thoroughly enjoyable.

As long as you can get out of the mindset of running in and spamming the attack button you should fare well, also worth getting out of the habit of thinking of dying being a bad thing too as you're meant to die in this game, in fact the opening segment of the game sees you fighting a monster you shouldn't be able to kill....and IF you manage to kill it (because you've learned the game and want to see what happens) you get rewarded with a cut scene of an even bigger monster who one hit kills you.

The game itself is very well put together, though it takes a bit of getting used to. Plenty of levelling up of stats to please the RPG fans, but you'll rarely find yourself able to just waltz through and ignore even the most basic of enemies, you need to pay attention, block and counter.

In a lot of ways this reminds me of a mix between the original Tenchu Stealth Assassins game (no wonder as it's made by the same team) and Monster Hunter. The games enemies have a basic set of behavioural patterns and are able to detect you through sound/sight/taking damage much the same as Tenchu, so the idea is to split the enemies up and take them on one at a time. Similarly to Monster Hunter you can learn how to kill the bigger enemies and usually it's better to bide your time and avoid at all costs taking any hits....if you can get your head in the game and play in this manner you'll love this game.

It's quite a big game to explore and complete...with a bit of levelling up involved it took me around 50 hours for my first playthrough, granted I probably could have done it in less than 40, but the time spent will make subsequent playthroughs quicker......plenty of replay value too, you'll need to play through the game 3 and a bit times to get the platinum.

And all of that without even touching upon the strange implementation of multiplayer!

If anyone else has this and is working towards that Platinum trophy gimme a shout, i'll probably be able to trade some of the unique rings/weapons that are required for trophies, or even help you out with a boss!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's one of those games I dip in & out of however I do think it's more of an immersive experience, hence I haven't progressed too far...

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
3+ Playthroughs to get platinum :-\ not my cup of tea although a shiny platinum sounds nice :P

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well actually you could platinum on one and a bit playthroughs as you could trade items online for the weapons collections, which is the bit that requires you to start a 4th playthrough for certain demons souls to be collected.

Once you've done your second playthrough though the others will probably come easy and you'll have your gear and you strategy sorted, can probably run a playthrough in a couple of hours after that.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Well I have it so might download it after I finish Bioshock 2 and Crysis 2. Deleted RDR and a few other games as my PS3 had stopped updating stuff with the hdd being full lol. Loved RDR but couldn't see us playing it before PS4 and the only way I was gonna get my platinum was if I played online non stop until PS4 was out.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I started playing this and got distracted. Must admit I really liked it too. On the list to finish before the ps4 arrives

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've got far too many games to try to get finished before PS4 lands, but this one should be doable as well as maybe another short game and spending a lot of time on BF4 beta next month and GTA5.

Anyway if I do manage to get through this game i'm more than willing to do a bit of trading of weapons online to help people towards that platinum.....that would mean you'd only need the second playthrough to finish learning your spells.

A word of warning though, that second playthrough bumps the difficulty up about 50%....so enemies do 50% more damage and have 50% more health...it can get rough.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Rediscovered Dark Souls over the weekend.

Chronologically, I should probably go back & do Dark souls first but hey Ho!

The new one (title escapes me) being developed as PS4 exclusive looks rather tidy!