The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Defiance - Game & TV Show

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SHROUD, 12 Mar 2013.

1. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Came across this the other day, basically Defiance is a game which reminds me a little of Rage and Borderlands. However the game developers Trion have also teamed up with the Syfy channel and launching an accompanying TV series.

The game is out on the 2nd April, with the TV series launching on the Syfy channel on the 16th (the day after the US). IMBD have given the series four and a half stars out of five, so I've got good hopes for it. I've not been able to find any game reviews yet. Like the concept though.

Definace Info:

http://www.defiance.com/en/

IMBD TV Show Review:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/

2. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Re: Defiance - Game & TV Show

I had a beta key for Defiance on PC but didn't have a chance to play as it was only on for a couple of days. I also got ace and his son a key each but not sure if they played.

3. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I really like the concept. The developers claim that what occurs in the online universe will affect what occurs in the tv series. The limited gameplay I saw didnt set my world on fire, but then most MMO FPS games dont have that impressive mechanics. I really hope they can pull it off, as both the tv series and game sounds really interesting.

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    This ongoing series gives some nice background to the game/tv series characters.

5. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Is it me, or does the live action game trailer actually look better than the series trailer?

I dunno, the game one is very Book Of Eli (awesome film), whilst the other smacks of V/Falling Skies/4400 etc etc.

6. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    I'll watch it and see how it goes, fingers crossed. IMDB are generally spot on with their reviews. So that's something to be positive about.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1

I can remember a VR machine game show, can anyone remember it's name?

8. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Knightmare :D

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1

Well that's one but the one I remember was a red vs blue thing :-\

10. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Don't know if anyone has tried it on here yet, but the Beta is up for PS+ users. Not heard great things so far, which is a shame.

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Ive got a code from Eurogamer for the 360 version. The beta doesnt start till next week on 25th, so I'll let you know what its like.

12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Been playing this some, and its not too bad. Not the best graphics, but show me an MMO that has it all!! The feel and shooting of it all reminds me of Avatar The Movie game. In fact it feels exactly like it.The interfaces are very accessible (unlike Dust 514 which just seems so unnecessarily complicated). Saw some others running around completing quests too, but I didnt actually play with or against anyone, which is a bizarre thing to say about an MMO.

As a tv series and a game, Im interested. Not sure I'd be happy to pay full price for this, but if I saw it for £20 I could be. I can see how theyll fit the tv episodes in around the game, as the game appears to be very dynamic (hence the lower graphics quality), and missions could be created on the fly. As to how the game affects the tv series; I can only guess that some of the tv programme has had numerous story arcs filmed, and the one path chosen the most by MMO players could affect whats shown.

Anyway, Im not blown away by what Ive seen, but I am still intrigued.

SHROUD likes this.
  13. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Thanks for that Slaine, the TV show opens in a couple of weeks, lets see how it plays out.

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I'm quite interested in this after watching a couple of video's from BF3 players I follow on youtube, interesting idea mixing the co-op and open world aspect of an MMO with the skill base of a shooter, only really seen MMO mixed with skill work well once before in Monster Hunter, but that was just 4 players at a time in missions.

Conceptually this ticks all of the boxes for me, hoping there'll be a playable demo and a low price as i'd consider this one.

15. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Well I saw most of the tv show on Sky+ this morning. Not bad, very derivative. Reminded me a bit of Firefly, which is no bad thing.

Didnt see Col or Mick in it, which is poor bearing in mind the amount of time theyve spent in-game.

Ive yet to find out how the show & game interact with each other. May be this will be near the end of the episode and all will be revealed. But overall not too bad at all.

16. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I'll be watching this tonight at my mates house (I don't have sky) so will see if there's any subtle references of the game in there and report back.

If this reminds me of firefly i'll be happy, loved that show.

17. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Just got back from watching the pilot episode and i'm impressed, very good character development in the first episode and enjoyable to watch. It was let down by a CGI scene that was less than on par, but aside from that it was good.

No reference to the game that I could see other than it's set within the same world and has the two lead characters from the show appearing from time to time in the game (though without the depth of the characters in the show)

18. Bertiepops

Bertiepops Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Bertiepops
    I'd agree with that. Some good amusing parts, and some good character development. I think I could grow to like this. Quite looking forward to next week now. Will be interested to see where it goes.

19. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Watched it to, and yes enjoyed it. You can tell Rocknes is behind it. Had a touch Farscape feel to it, which isn't a bad thing :).

20. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Downloaded it this morning and have yet to watch it but I am looking forward to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice