The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Multi Defiance First Impressions

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by ColSonders, 2 Apr 2013.

1. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    So I've played a couple of hours of this before the servers were taken down for tweaking (which they notified players of through the in game notification system).

Story seems to work well so far, i've probably only played about half an hour or so of story missions and the rest of my time was spent mucking about. There seems to be a huge amount of side quests, lots of them seem to be challenges where you can see your time/score against others, giving quite a bit of replay value.

The shooting works alright, it's certainly not up to standard with AAA shooter titles, more like Warhawk in terms of how the gunplay handles, it does the job but nothing more. For those who aren't so good at the shooting games it's got an auto-aim feature, for those that are a bit better you can tweak your aim once you've shouldered your gun (or if you turn auto-aim off) for nailing those headshots, which will give you a substantial damage bonus depending on the multiplier for that particular gun.

The game seems to be largely like a role playing shooter, similar to games such as Borderlands in that you will collect new/better/different weapons and gadgets and can upgrade aspects of your character and your weapons/shields/vehicles, but where it sets itself apart are in the huge battles and the way it handles multiple players on at the same time.

If you've played an MMO before you know the deal, you team up and go kill stuff, or you can work by yourself surrounded by other real players, but in this game the other real players will jump into your fight to help you out...and that's a good thing as you will die quickly solo once you get into it but you don't need to team up specifically to get by, other players will simply join in, whether they happen to be driving by you or they are also doing the same mission.

The Ark Drops are where things really hot up though as everyone within a few kilometers (and yes the map area is pretty damn big) of one of these things gets a symbol on their screen, these are where you can earn some easy cash and rewards. What this results in is a central point with maybe 100 players all focussed on destroying one enemy, it's utter chaos and great fun, when it's all over it will tell you who contributed the most with kills and damage so you can see how well you did.

I've not tried teaming up with anyone just yet and it works fine to plod along by yourself, but currently I don't know if there's a team limit and if comms work well, there does seem to be a quick chat option that looks as though you can use keyboard chat, which is good for this type of game.

Anyway, that's enough rambling, seems a good game so far, decent enough mechanics to keep players interested for potentially quite a long time, particularly since it will be an evolving game.

2. Bertiepops

Bertiepops Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Bertiepops
    This does sound particularly interesting, to be honest. I reckon it's something I would have a look at before purchase, but certainly seems like a possibility. I seem to recall I played a little bit of Warhawk, and that seemed good fun.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well I managed to get another few hours in last night and it's drawing me in just as an MMO normally would so it's certainly doing something right and i'm now looking forward to seeing what the TV show comes up with.

I'm getting used to the shooting mechanics now and they aren't bad at all (turned aim assist off now), they could do with turn acceleration settings, but then so could both CoD and Battlefield, though they do a better job of damping when aiming down sights.

Had some pretty epic battles last night on Ark Drops, still not really managed to get anything particularly useful from them, but i'm still very low level so it's just nice that i'm able to make an actual real contribution, unlike other MMO's where it's very dependant upon your level, in this game there's not a huge difference in the damage a low level gun and a high level gun will do it seems, it's more about the skills and abilities you can add so it's quite subtle.

I had a bit of an explore around what I think is the main area available, it takes a good twenty minutes or more to drive from one side of this area to the other on your quad, with loads of stuff in those areas. It looks on the map like this is just a fraction of the overall map and that more stuff will be unlocked later, possibly with a tie in to the TV series.

I would strongly urge anyone who's interested in MMO's and Shooters to check this out, overall I'm loving this game (not a comment I make about many games) although at first I thought I may have bought yet another bad game.

4. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Can you play the game properly if you don't watch the tv series?

5. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yes, the developers have said that the game will work as a stand alone (otherwise I would have been put off since I rarely watch TV) and will not rely on knowledge of the TV show at all.

There's basically no detail on how the two will work together to be honest, they'll probably emulate things in the game that have happened on the TV series and it'll be more of a subtle nod of recognition between the two rather than anything drastic. Perhaps when fighting monsters you'll already know their weak spots from watching the TV show?

6. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Will keep my eye on this, more around free time to play. So progressing my character may take a while.

7. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I may take a punt at this especially if it doesn't matter about the TV show as I haven't got it.

8. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Got this today, have had a quick go and quite like it. Col do you have to buy credits to unlock stuff or can you earn them in-game. I noticed the option to Purchase them but just wondered if that's the only way or just a short-cut for those who would rather pay.

9. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    There's a few different in game currencies, the main ones appear to be as follows:

Scrip - basic money that you will drop from enemies and you'll get as reward for missions, used on buying store items.

Ark Salvage - you'll also get this from missions as well as having the option to break down unwanted weapons into Ark Salvage instead of selling them for Scrip, used for modding weapons and can be used for buying Keys.

Keys - These are far more rare as rewards from missions, can be bought in game using Ark Salvage, used to buy Lock Boxes only from what I can tell, which contain a random 'uncommon' item which may or may not be of any use.

Bits - i'm yet to get any of these so currently unsure if you can even get them in game, they can be used to purchase almost any item from in game shops instead of using the in game currencies. This is also the only way of purchasing a certain type of boost (additional XP gained, additional money dropped etc) so i'd expect either a lot of complaints going in or 'Bits' available at some point within the game.

10. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    That's what I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of them.

It does seem to suffer from lag when you have loads of people at an Ark Drop and there are explosions etc going off all over the place, poor PS3 cant cope with it all. One thing that was annoying was the idiots in there vehicles at Ark Drops just driving around in circles, I think they should ban the vehicles from the Ark Drop area, any idiot can drive around in circles running stuff over.

Is there like a store where you can errr store your stuff, I have some scopes etc for weapons that I haven't got yet and Im having to carry them around taking up inventory space that is very limited anyway.

11. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I've not had too many issues with lag on the network side of things, had a couple of instances where i've been disconnected, but to be honest for this type of game (mmo) it's been a very smooth launch, with the majority of issues hitting XBOX. I get a little bit of frame drop in busy area's such as the final boss of a major Ark Fall, mostly when the main boss pops out as every player is then targetting that one spot.

The people in vehicles isn't really an issue, other than graphically getting in your way sometimes or if they are running over the little skitterbugs as you should be leaving those alive to create crit hit spots on the Ark Crystals, there's no good reason not to use a big heavy vehicle on the final stage of a Major Ark Fall for example, but you can certainly come top of the table without all of those kills as it's based on damage dealt:
    20130407_235910.jpg

There's no item storage other than your inventory, however you can increase your inventory space by entering Ark Codes into the website defiance.com and linking your console to your account....then go into the in game PSN store and you can redeem the items you get for entering codes.

Chuck me a friends request so we can team up and do some co-op stuff!

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Further bits and pieces from this weekends sessions:

Discovered that the only bit that REQUIRES you spend actual cash is the Boosts section, which gives You/Your Group/Your Clan a boost to cash dropped / experience gained and some other bits, nothing particularly important and it's basically just a shortcut. So no real need to bother.

I've managed to get a few different guns now, the better guns you can pick up are fairly subtle in how much better they are but i've found some different weapon types that suit me better such as the LMG's and Pump Action shotguns. The LMG is quite high damage over time (but with bad recoil so tap firing is recommended over a distance) and the pump action shotty is excellent when you're getting rushed as it's massive damage up close.

Also picked up the weapon that people are saying makes this game a bit like Halo...it looks a bit like the needler and I think it has a bit of the homing effect going on (i'm not THAT bad a shot to really tell) but the rounds attach to the enemy and then spawn into little bugs that attack other enemies nearby....pretty cool weapon for crowd control but a bit low powered for me.

Managed to grab a pretty decent rocket launcher too which I think is one of the special types available in the game, when it hits it produces a handful of particles that bounce out of the explosion and then explode themselves, much like the grenades in Borderlands 2.

Did a few main missions too and there's a good bit of variety, largely it's go to spot on map, kill enemies or pick up object and get ambushed by more enemies but there's also some other stuff in the main missions such as running through what I think is the co-op missions with one of the NPC's and doing stuff like Ark Falls where there's NPC's.

Most of the stuff you do is on the main map, but the co-op missions I think are in what would be called dungeons in any other mmo game and I think the TDM modes are on individual maps too....with what's called shadow wars (similar to conquest i've heard) taking place on the main map where you fight against other teams of real players.

This really is a good little game.

13. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Oooh well done with coming top,:thumbup: highest Ive been is 18th and that was the only time I got on the scoreboad :problem: about my usual level of skill:D
    People at the top of the table are scoreing in excess of 1.5million damage and im doing about a 10th of that. Is it total damage of all the falls put together (the 4 or 5 markers in the red circle) or for each one or is it just the total damage done to the boss at the end.

Funny enough after I mentioned it about frame rate problems it has been fine since even with 50+ people at a Ark Drop.

I have a auto shotgun that I tend to use a lot, and normally carry that with a rocket launcher.:D

Yeah I seen someone using that, looks pretty good.

I done a few main and side missions, not many though. One was with that red-head woman npc.

Not had any luck finding anything that seems any good yet , but its early days.

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    The trick to coming top is as you suspect, combined damage over the course of the major Ark Fall, so whoever is half decent at shooting and has figured out the method of beating the Ark Falls and most importantly is in the area when the Ark Fall lands is the player that's likely to make the top of the table.

That particular battle I was a little late to the party but concentrated purely on damage output, scored about 1.5 million, not enough to come top normally, but I think there were a lot of newbies there racking up the kills on the little bugs.

That auto shotty you've got is what I used until I picked up an LMG, great gun up close that fared me well, but not the best for scoring highly on Ark Falls.

If I find any more decent guns i'll keep a hold of them for you, any weapon type in particular you favour?

15. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Whats the best thing to concentrate on the big boss or picking off the smaller things scurrying around ?

I think I may have a LMG I will have to have a look, I tend to use the shotty as it was good for close combat. Ive yet to be at an Ark fall from the outset so will have to see how I do once I get to do one from the start.

16. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    For the minor ark falls you'll either be doing waves of Bugs (blue Ark Fall) where you just kill everything or destroying an Ark Crystal (red Ark Fall) where you should avoid the skitter bugs as they create weak spots on the crystal, basically watch for bugs going up to the crystal, a bit spot will appear on the crystal and shoot the shit out of it.

So far i've seen two types of Major Ark Fall, one with a big fat bug that you shoot in the face (crit hit is the face) that sometimes buries itself underground, take out the biggest enemy you can see if it does this and the other one has a huge bug that grows out of the ground, this one is more specific on technique, but again for damage and completion simply ignore the smaller stuff.

For these bigger Major Ark Falls you need to aim at the spouts of the big bug initially, it has four and they will flop over once destroyed, then you're on to the main battle, a flying bug will come out of the top, this is what you need to kill to complete the Ark Fall, but it only stays out for a limited time then dives back into the big bug. The crit spot is the underside of it's tail and is a right shit to get hits on, just keep blasting away and I use my overcharge if I get a good angle on the crit spot.

Once it pops back in a Monarch Bug will appear, this needs to be killed for the boss to come back out to play, if you fail to kill it this time (which is likely) two Monarchs will appear, dunno if that goes up or not. Anyway the Monarchs are the pain to kill, crit spot is chest and anus, though the anus has flaps (fnar) that are closed most of the time. I get in close with my shotty and just keep laying into it, when it rolls at someone it will stop and the anus flaps open, pop out your LMG and trigger your overcharge for max damage.

Piece of cake!

Then there'e the robot ark falls, but i've not managed to get across the Golden Gate bridge yet as some **** off mahusive robot troll is guarding it and kills me in one hit.

17. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I'd pretty much worked that all out :thumbup: Hadnt realised that the number of Monarchs increased.
    Had a quick blast last night and ignored the stuff running about and I came in top spot :dance2: with only 4 kills :D
    [​IMG]

18. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Above someone with 81 kills! Nice going :thumbup:

You'll be in the top ten on every Ark Fall you participate in now. I found a different kind of Ark Fall last night, just a minor one but it had Raiders instead of bugs, there was some of those overgrown ones that usually carry grenade launchers or miniguns that dropped a special weapon you can pick up to hit the Ark Crystal with...which has limited use and you can't change weapons while carrying it...didn't get to it first so haven't tried it...but it looked like a power fist melee type thing.

I had a try of the co-op last night, it randomly put me in a group with 3 other players and teleported me to the co-op mission, which was an underground bunker type thing (much like the mission you do with Cass if you've got that far). It was certainly good fun and the boss in there managed to drop a couple of us in the group so it's difficult enough to justify the required teamwork.

Eventually got my hands on the healing gun too! :dance2:

19. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    The healing gun, is that the one that looks like its shooting electricity that jumps from person to person, if so I picked up one of those last night as well.

20. kencanvey

kencanvey Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    kencanvey
    I think I will defo get this if I can just find an unused corner to stand on for a few weeks Lol. Watched the first 14min of the first episode on the website and it looks good .... although I will probably spend the rest of the day singing "jackson town" Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice