• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Cryptarch level

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does it actually do anything having the cryptarch levelled. Mine is almost level 8 now and still the only engrams I can aquire are green ones

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does it actually do anything having the cryptarch levelled. Mine is almost level 8 now and still the only engrams I can aquire are green ones
I'm going with no......my cryptarch level is 18 and the stuff to buy is exactly the same.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I heard somebody say it would improve chances on better items, but nothing definitive on that. Anyway, it'll level as you go, so whatever I guess.
Same as leveling Vanguard/Crucible above 3, no reason as it is now it seems, but who knows in the future?

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The only bonus of levelling any of the ranks past 3 at the moment (although I haven't got any of the fractions high enough yet to prove the same) are that you are given free engrams/materials for each level (hit 3 with vanguard and got engrams, the same at 4, and have been getting engrams at most levels after 3 with the cryptarch - still leveling crucible so cannot prove that yet) - these can often be rare/legendary and with the upcoming patch (engrams will always be of equal/higher rarity as the engrams themselves) this means better chances of getting additional legendary (or the odd exotic) weapons/armour.

I heard the same about the higher level cryptarch level reducing the likelyhood of poor loot rolls - but i'm guessing this never was the case if they're altering the decryption rules in the update.