Multi Confirmed: CoD: Ghosts is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts will run natively at 720p, while the PS4 version will run at a 'full-HD' 1080p.

So confirmed Infinity Ward boss Mark Rubin today, following recent rumours that the Xbox version would be subject to a disadvantage in resolution next to the PS4.

"For Xbox One we're 1080p upscaled from 720p," confirmed Rubin, meaning the game will be output at 1080p (1920 x 1080) thanks to upscaling software, but is running natively at 720p (1280 x 720) at the rendering level.

"We're native 1080p on PS4," he went on to confirm. "We optimized each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both."

Native resolution is technically superior to upscaling, with the latter typically used as a method of improving performance - i.e. to increase (or stabilise) frame rates by decreasing rendering load spent on resolution.

This comes after it was confirmed that the Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 will also suffer a similar resolution disadvantage next to its PS4 counterpart.

EA's blockbuster shooter will render at 900p (1600 x 900) on PS4 and at 720p on Xbox One, it was established when CVG and several members of the media got their hands on the game at a recent review event.

Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts are among the most highly anticipated of the new consoles' launch lineups. Critics' reviews for Battlefield 4 showed a generally favourable response to DICE's cross-gen shooter, with scores ranging from 7/10 to 95%.

Current-gen and PC versions of Battlefield 4 released on October 29 in the US and hit UK on November 1.

Activision has confirmed a Call of Duty: Ghosts release date of November 5 on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U and PC.

Xbox One and PS4 versions of both games will be system launch titles, released later in November.

Source: CVG

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Its nice for the boot to be on the other foot this time round with the ps4 getting the better resolution, but really unless you are buying the two consoles and running the games side by side is the difference really going to matter to anybody except the fanboy.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Even the fanboys won't care.

Same deal with BF4, the frame rate is consistently higher and some of the graphical effects are technically superior on PS4 compared to 720, but at the end of the day the game will play the same on both machines with as good as zero noticeable difference to probably 90%+ users

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
but really unless you are buying the two consoles and running the games side by side is the difference really going to matter to anybody except the fanboy.
In principle I agree with this but it does pose significant problems. Nobody wants to spend £350 - £450 on equipment they feel to be substandard. People also don't want equipment to become outdated - look at the X360 HD-DVD drive.

Whilst it's a given the drivers and development tools become easier and richer throughout the lifecycle, its seems especially surprising that the XB1 one is struggling out of the gate. Especially with Ghosts. It's not even a new engine! It's an enhanced version of the previous engine which favoured X360. This must be cause for serious concern. Also it seems to support the narrative we've been hearing for the last few months about PS4 being easier to develop for.

The real test will be when we see footage from both versions ourselves and also what multiplatform games look like using Unreal Engine 4. If XB1 is still struggling with these then that would be a real blow to Microsoft. Look how long it took to get to basic platform parity with PS3 and X360 - in some cases the PS3 version is still substandard 6 years later!

Before the PS4 reveal, who would have thought it would have gone like this!

Last edited:

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Word of mouth will have a big impact.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What with this and the BF4 debacle, I agree with @Dogstar here. This does matter and is a big deal. To add to what Dogstar has said already; if two giants in developing like Dice and Infinity Ward cant do better, then theres not much hope for any other developer to do better. Especially bearing in mind that both of these developers wouldve been key partners and therefore first in line when the development kits were being handed out. I bet behind closed doors the pressures been on them to equalise both the ps4 and Xbox 720 versions (720 because of the newly announced resolution - snigger), and not just by their bosses but by Microsoft too. I dare say this has been their best and finest effort.

No, this is a major blow for Microsoft and if I had a pre order I'd have to seriously consider the fact that I could be paying a lot more for something thats inferior.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It matters to discerning console fans, but I suspect the bulk of console sales go to people who will just see there is a new xbox out and probably more easily available than a PS4 come christmas. I do agree that MS have made life much more difficult for themselves here and I am not convinced that the X1 can overcome the technical hurdles to achieve platform parity. I see 2 ways for MS to go here, early price cut, with massive marketing push to seize momentum or a big spend on exclusive titles to create a reason for owning an X1.