PS4 Coming soon: PlayStation Preview Program with early access to updated Party features

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New functionality detailed ahead of sign-up going live

We are getting ready to test an update to the Party function on PlayStation 4, and can use some help from PS4 owners! Soon you will be able to sign up for a chance to participate in the Preview Program for an advance look at the new Party features.

Once you have joined, you can expect to see the following updates to Party:
  • Increased maximum Party participants from 8 to 16
  • Improved audio quality for voice chat
  • Improved network connectivity
Do note, that if you participate in the Preview Program, you won’t be able to join the same Party or use Share Play with others who aren’t participating in the program.

However, the preview code we’ll be providing can be redeemed by 20 different qualifying accounts, so share the code with your friends and try out the new Party updates together! Once you participate in the Preview Program, Parties that you’re able to join will have an asterisk (*) in front of the Party name.

TITLE

In addition, US testers will have early access to the chat transcription feature that will be available through Party and the PS4 Second Screen app. By using this feature, you can convert Party voice chat to text on your Second Screen app, or enter text into your app which will be read aloud to other Party members. This feature will only be available in the US, and only in English.

Many thanks to everyone who signs up! Your feedback helps us make our feature updates even better*.

*Features and changes in Preview Program are not final, with no fixed release date, and subject to change without notice.

Source:

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No note this bit specifically:

"Do note, that if you participate in the Preview Program, you won’t be able to join the same Party or use Share Play with others who aren’t participating in the program."

If you participate in this and others do not, you will not be able to be in the same party chat as them.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Do note, that if you participate in the Preview Program, you won’t be able to join the same Party or use Share Play with others who aren’t participating in the program.

However, the preview code we’ll be providing can be redeemed by 20 different qualifying accounts, so share the code with your friends and try out the new Party updates together! Once you participate in the Preview Program, Parties that you’re able to join will have an asterisk (*) in front of the Party name.
Sounds great in theory but I don't really get this part.
Basically "you can't join old school groups but everybody should get a code and it's all good."
Why not just roll it out across the board?
Or are Sony afraid that the PSN is gonna crash?

*EDIT: you beat me to highlighting that part @Martok

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yes @zoob I think it's a daft way to test this new feature. It'll cause no end of issues. Not everyone will want/be able to test this new party chat feature and then they'll wonder why they can't chat with some of their friends.

Testing a new feature like this should never break functionality and that's what this one does.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So if I get a code for 20 and you get a code for 20 and someone else gets a code for 20 then that's SNR pretty much covered, right?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So if I get a code for 20 and you get a code for 20 and someone else gets a code for 20 then that's SNR pretty much covered, right?
Yes, but that assumes everyone will actually take and use the code and getting the codes to everyone (especially as some don't visit here much and others don't respond to group messages on PSN). And of course there would be a period where some would have the new features and some not (as no doubt it'd be a firmware update so would need downloading and installing) so you'd turn up to an evening (or more) on a game and couldn't play with some folks.

But yes, in theory with enough codes, organisation and cooperation we'd all be fine.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A 'yes' would have done :D

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sounds great in theory but I don't really get this part.
Basically "you can't join old school groups but everybody should get a code and it's all good."
Why not just roll it out across the board?
Or are Sony afraid that the PSN is gonna crash?
Well, what if you (as user) do not want to risk the new feature not working? Apparently they haven't tested it on a large scale, so things might break.
You now have an option to take that risk if you really want/need it, or just wait until it's thoroughly tested and everyone has it.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well, what if you (as user) do not want to risk the new feature not working? Apparently they haven't tested it on a large scale, so things might break.
You now have an option to take that risk if you really want/need it, or just wait until it's thoroughly tested and everyone has it.
Exactly. PSN users will be the beta testers for this and indeed things might break. This is why I don't test the beta versions of PSN firmware, I'd rather have a working system for my games than a broken one or one with problems and so I wait for the stable final release.

Hence my earlier comments about getting everyone to use these new features in the preview programme (beta test, don't let the name fool you). It could break things and no way to revert (unless they tell us otherwise when the signup begins). I'll likely pass on this as no doubt will some others. Besides, I don't need party chats of 16 (8 is noisy enough) and the current chat quality is fine.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well, what if you (as user) do not want to risk the new feature not working?
Apparently they haven't tested it on a large scale, so things might break.
Exacly - however you won't be able to communicate with those that have or have not.
Splintering the userbase.

Exactly. PSN users will be the beta testers for this and indeed things might break. This is why I don't test the beta versions of PSN firmware, I'd rather have a working system for my games than a broken one or one with problems and so I wait for the stable final release.

Hence my earlier comments about getting everyone to use these new features in the preview programme (beta test, don't let the name fool you). It could break things and no way to revert (unless they tell us otherwise when the signup begins). I'll likely pass on this as no doubt will some others. Besides, I don't need party chats of 16 (8 is noisy enough) and the current chat quality is fine.
I'm of the same mind however I do know that quite a few of my regular gaming list will adopt at day 1 and therefore we won't be able to communicate unless using the in-game chat, which is generally rubbish.

Silly.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Got my email about this today, so no doubt you will have yours already or it'll arrive soon.

I'll be passing on this beta test. Good luck to those of you who do participate as from what was said previously we won't be able to be in the same party chat. I'll see you once this goes to a final firmware release for all consoles. :)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I got my email today as well. I’m not going to bother.