Codex and the Codex Scanner

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Those of you who have played Warframe with me will know that I spend time in missions scanning objects and enemies and I've been asked several times what I'm doing and how I do it. So I thought I'd put up a post about this.

Codex
The Codex is a database that is accessed from within the game and is found in the left hand menu on the main screen.

Warframe_20140505161636.jpg

The Codex contains information on all aspect of Warframe. Much of the content of the Codex is animated rather than still images.

Warframe_20140505161651.jpg

Several sections of the Codex are automatically populated as content is released - Warframes, Training, Weapons, Sentinels and Events and are additionally used to track player's progress in attaining and levelling those items.

The Training training section will display training using your current Warframe in the correct colours if you visit the Arsenal screen first before visiting the training section.

The Mods section will populate as you obtain mod cards. What you can use it for is to see which cards you have already obtained and which ones are missing. Although you won't have information about what cards do for any that you don't have, you do have the names of these cards, which is useful when it comes to trading.

Warframe_20140505161745.jpg

The Art Gallery is unlocked as you progress through the Mastery Ranks.

Warframe_20140505162639.jpg

The Enemies and Objects sections will populate and reveal more information as you gather information by using the Codex Scanner. Initially, these sections will just show black silhouettes but as you collect information, images will appear along with more detailed information.

Warframe_20140505162305.jpg
Once an object or enemy has been scanned, it's image will appear in the relevant section. Clicking on an object or enemy will reveal what you have found out about it so far. A fully scanned object or enemy shows all information about it. Note that partially scanned objects and items have a bar below showing the progress to completion whilst fully scanned objects and items have a star.

So for example, the Elite Crewman in my Codex shows just this as it's not been fully scanned:

However the Fusion Moa in my database, which has been fully scanned, shows this:

As you will see, the full information includes how it is affected by different damage types, which regions it can be found on and the mods that it can drop when killed.

Note: To complete the Codex is going to take time, effort and credits (in-game currency, not real money which is platinum). The only reward as far as I can see is satisfaction. So, if you can't be bothered to do this, then fair enough. If you do want to complete it, then below is how to do this.

Codex Scanner
The Codex Scanner is a device used to collect and complete the information in the Codex, and this is done by scanning enemies and objects. However, the Codex Scanner doesn't just do this, it also has two other functions:
  1. It is a phase detector allowing you to see enemies, destructible objects and important objects through walls and other obstructions.
  2. It is a distance measuring device, allowing you to see how far it is between you and whatever you are looking at
Both of these functions have a maximum distance of 50 metres. So, it's worth having one even if you don't intend to use it for completing your Codex, as it's handy to know if there are enemies around the next corner.

warframe_scan.jpg

Buying and equipping a Codex Scanner
You will first need to purchase a Codex Scanner from the Gear section of the Market for 500 credits, which will give you 25 scans.

codex_scanner.png

Once purchased, go to your Arsenal and in the Gear Section, select one of the empty sections in the Gear Wheel and press X.

Warframe_20140505172413.jpg

On the next screen, select the Codex Scanner.

Warframe_20140505172434.jpg

I would recommend that you purchase more scans (500 credits for 25 scans) and always keep your Codex Scanner topped up with around 100 scans so you don't run out during a mission. Once you've purchase additional scans, press X to equip the Codex Scanner.

Warframe_20140505172441.jpg

Using a Codex Scanner
During a mission, press down on the d-pad to access your Gear Wheel. Use the left thumbstick to select the Codex Scanner and press X. You will now have it equipped.

Note: I would recommend remapping your controls so that you can access the Codex Scanner more easily. You can do this In Options > Customise Controller. I have remapped the touchpad button, which by default shows the level map, so that pressing this swaps to the Codex Scanner and pressing again puts it away. I have put the level map on the right d-pad.

Note: Whilst equipped with the Codex Scanner you cannot use your primary and secondary weapons. You can still use your melee weapon.

To take a scan, look at an object or enemy and press and hold L2 to view through the Codex Scanner. Press and hold R2 to perform the scan. This takes a couple of seconds to do and you'll hear a scanning sound whilst doing this.

Once an individual enemy has been scanned, you cannot scan the same one again and the Codex Scanner will tell you this. This does mean that, for example, to fully unlock the Elite Crewman in the Codex, which requires 30 scans, you will need to scan up to 30 different Elite Crewmen. You can do this over several games though, it doesn't have to be done in one mission.

Stealth scans are scans on enemies that are carried out without them being aware of your presence. If you can perform a stealth scan, it counts as two scans, so they are worth doing.

Keep checking the Codex to see how you are progressing with collecting information on particular objects and enemies and make a note of which ones you have completed - the Codex Scanner will continue to let you scan enemies that are fully unlocked in the Codex, so you don't want to waste scans on these.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I use it for scanning plants to get poisons.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
At some point I will go out and scan the things we see. I have used it a few times, but for now I'm happy to blow the shit out of things rather than photograph them.
When I do chill out a bit i'll find your guide very helpful as I don't really know much about it.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Scanned a few things today while playing with Martok and Halo and asked many questions.
Sometimes I would hear "I've done a post about it, you should read it" whatever that means........

Anyway, good post and thank you very much. Must write down what I HAVE scanned now....

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyway, good post and thank you very much. Must write down what I HAVE scanned now....
@Martok has done just that with his spreadsheet which I think he list remaining number of scans rather than scans acquired.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok has done just that with his spreadsheet which I think he list remaining number of scans rather than scans acquired.
Yes, I do it this way but then I'm a bit meticulous. ;) For most people, it'd probably be enough to just keep an eye on the Codex to see which enemies and objects they no longer require scans for.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Martok , custom title = intergalactic twitcher ?