Chrome browser issue

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yesterday chrome on my pc decided to be a twat, When I open up my homepage I can't acces any website due to the mouse buttons doing stupid shit they're not supposed too, ie clicking on the Facebook bookmark on the bookmark bar does not open Facebook, It opens a new tab with Facebook In It and clicking on the newly opened tab closes It! I'm also unable to input into the address bar. Sometimes Is will close using the 'X' and other times I have to right click on the chrome icon at the bottom of the screen.
The mouse works fine on the pc when Im not on the Internet, It's a wireless mouse that Ivhad for about 6 months with no issues, I'm on Win7.

Anyone have any ideas?

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling chrome?

Also might be worth doing a virus scan just in case it's something more sinister.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Virus scans done, I would uninstall it but seeing as I am unable to get on the Internet to redownload It I don't think that would be wise.:stupid:

;)

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Can't you use internet explorer to re access the internet?

Another way of seeing if it's the mouse or chrome - launch chrome and then unplug the mouse - if the pointer is still moving it's not the mouse, might be worth taking some cleaning solution to the usb port.

If it isn't your mouse then I would suggest uninstalling chrome - you can access the internet by typing a web address into a normal window for example launch my computer where it says "Computer" in the bar type google.com and it will take you to the website.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I doubt it's the mouse that's the issue.

Try clearing the browser cache, history and cookies in Chrome, then rebooting your computer to see if that solves it.

If it doesn't, can you open WordPad (Start > Accessories > WordPad) on your PC and use that correctly? If so then it's likely a Chrome issue and it'll need reinstalling. If you can't open WordPad then it's a damaged Windows installation.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Try using Firefox instead. I can't use chrome, I just can't get on with it. But if chrome floats your boat then like the others have said, a reinstall looks like your best bet.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok I'm unable to clear caches and histories as chrome won't let me click on the options button, and wordpad works, @Plaxinator I can't download Firefox, I tried to download It on my tablet but It only offers me the Android version.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok I'm unable to clear caches and histories as chrome won't let me click on the options button, and wordpad works, @Plaxinator I can't download Firefox, I tried to download It on my tablet but It only offers me the Android version.
Sounds like you'll have to uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

Why don't you download Chrome (and/or Firefox) using Internet Explorer as @mrdjmo suggested? That will be installed on your PC and should work.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Can't you use internet explorer to re access the internet?

Another way of seeing if it's the mouse or chrome - launch chrome and then unplug the mouse - if the pointer is still moving it's not the mouse, might be worth taking some cleaning solution to the usb port.

If it isn't your mouse then I would suggest uninstalling chrome - you can access the internet by typing a web address into a normal window for example launch my computer where it says "Computer" in the bar type google.com and it will take you to the website.

Sorry, I never saw this post earlier :)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So Internet Explorer hpas the same ****ing issues!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
There's the possibility that it's a faulty keyboard, possibly with a sticky Alt key. Alternatively it could be the mousee

Try the following:
Open a Web browser
Disconnect the mouse and remove the batteries
Press Alt and D which should get you to the address bar
Type in an address

If that works, it's probably the mouse. Replace the batteries. If it has a plug-in receiver ie one that plugs into a USB port, move it to a different port before replacing the batteries.

If all of that doesn't work, unplug the keyboard and see if you can control your browser without issue (obviously with no typing). If so, try another keyboard to see if that resolves it.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
IE Is working fine now, Chrome uninstalled and reinstalled, Issues remain, Now on Firefox with no issues.
Chrome was running ok after the reinstall until I got a popup from Advanced systemcare saying It had done it's usual scans and checks, Then Chrome packed up again, Maybe a security issue found by ASC or something, Oh well.
Thanks for all the help :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
until I got a popup from Advanced systemcare saying It had done it's usual scans and checks
That's your problem then - Advanced Systemcare, which doesn't get a great review from CNET.

Something that fiddles with the registry and "optimizes, cleans, and fixes all kinds of PC problems with just 1 click" has the potential to muck up a PC, which it sounds like it is doing here with Chrome. It's probably altered some registry settings that it shouldn't or quarantined/removed some legitimate Chrome files that it has incorrectly identified as spyware/adware/malware.

There really shouldn't be any need to have this sort of software on a PC if you are careful about what other software you download and install from the Internet and aren't visiting dodgy sites that could install malicious software without you knowing. Personally I'd remove it and just stick with a decent anti-virus solution (and if you're not using a paid-one then something like AVG Free or Avast are reasonable free alternatives) and following safe practices with sites you visit and software you install. :)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I do visit dubious sites though, Being the hardcore digital pirate that i am I use numerous paid and free PC protection.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Chrome is the xbox of browsers anyway. Best stick to Playstation quality like Firefox. I would do a smiley face but I'm using IE on my phone and it won't let m.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Microsoft essential is a free AV and doesn't use a lot of system resources

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Chrome is the xbox of browsers anyway. Best stick to Playstation quality like Firefox. I would do a smiley face but I'm using IE on my phone and it won't let m.
I preferr Chrome over Firefox

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My PC Is ****ed, Nothing works unless i first shutdown desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) first, Trying to locate my installation disc for a reinstall.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
All them illegal sites you use catching up with you ;)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Reinstalled Win7, Still having the same issues.