The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Child of the 70's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slaine, 13 Mar 2013.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada

Probably really old and everyones seen it, but I hadnt and may be one of you hasnt either.

Brings a tear to your eye :grandpa:

2. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I'd not seen that before, thought it was ace.

Its quite scary really how quickly things change.

3. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    I'd not seen this either and thought it was quite good too. Brings a tear to the eye!

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Yes it certainly makes you feel old

5. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Things are so much better now, the seventies were really shit.

6. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I remember almost all of that stuff not sure it was the best era but it sure was good.

7. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    OMG, just got round to watching that video now. I only just made the 70s but remember the vast majority of what was shown in that. They missed out Space Hoppers though. Loved my space hopper. I had a great chopper bike as well, I think we could wedge 3 people on it. Made pedaling a bit hard like.

8. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    It wasnt the seventies that was good, it was the fact that you were younger. Life in your teens and pre marrage is so much better whenever you were born. Life is is good when you are young,
    I bet all our parents said that things were great when they were young. It wasn't really, as there was a frigin war on, food was rationed, there were no Indian takeaways, people ate fish and chips out of old newspapers, casual sex hadn't been invented, there was only one TV channel, and it didnt have Top Gear on it. People watches Coronation street in black and white and if you went to a footy match on saturdays you had to stand up and were lucky to get home alive as violent mods, rockers and skinhead gangs ruled the inner cities.
    When you were young things seamed better as life was less stressful , there were few money problems, no mortgages, no ex spouses to have to support, you could spend all your spare cash on doing up your ford Capri rather than paying off credit cards bills . loved the seventies as I was well off and had a good life, but on reflection If i was old then, it would have been shit.

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    :rofl:

What I liked from the vid, was it showed me how much I had forgotten. It also made me feel incredibly old, older than anything else Ive ever experienced. My wife recently had a flavour of this when we went up to London last summer. Some young guy on the Tube offerred her his seat. I notice it more now, especially when you engage a shop assistant. Anyone of an age seems to automatically get the title "sir", and this is even more pronounced if you are in a queue and the previous customer served was considerably younger than you.

I wouldnt say the 70's was the best era ever (Abba, Sex Pistols, Star Wars, end of Vietnam war). The 80's certainly had its moments with the New Romantic movement, gothic rock, the SAS (I remember seeing the Embassy siege and wondering who on earth these guys were and why hadnt we heard of them before). My favourite era is now. Music may be shit, the Star Wars films may not quite hit the spot, but entertainment wise we are totally spoilt. The internet is just amazing, and the way its developed and comes up with new things and ideas staggers me. And computer games are just the dogs right now. Even back in the 70's I knew Pong was shit.

When I look back on the past its always with a sense of loss, and thats why I found this video so poignant.

10. jonnywombat

jonnywombat Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    Well said sir, :bow:

That totally sums up how I feel (apart from the modern music being shit, as there are lots of good rock bands around) in a very eloquent way...

Jonny

11. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I thought most of what was in that was from the 80's Even Marathon wasnt renamed Snickers until 1990.

12. jonnywombat

jonnywombat Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    Just thought I didn't notice Astro wars in there? I got to the point where I could "clock" it, as I expect many of you did.

jonny

13. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    My sister (who is 2 years younger than me) had Astro Wars. I think I played it more than her and yes, I could clock it without losing a life. For any youngsters who don't know the games, here's a review of it. Half way through you can see it played and hear the distinctive tune which I remembered before I heard it again. :D

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Awesome video. I got Astro Wars one Xmas and was blown away. I had forgotten (or thought I had) all the sounds and victory tunes!! Why hasnt this ever been released on XBLA or PSN?

My bestest ever Christmas present was the Millenium Falcon. Not the real pne mind, the Palitoy one for the figures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice