1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Chat system

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by HaloJ, 6 Jul 2012.

1. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I'm hoping with this post that it'll help the community understand our systems more readily. I'll break the explanation down into left and right side, hold on to your pillows, here we go!

:grandpa:
    An overview of our chat bar

Lets start with the Left side. The left side of the chat bar contains our helper applications including a link to the event systems, create event page.

The icons to the right of the Application Menu can be customised by clicking on the application menu and then dragging the applications into and out of the Bookmarks area. Currently it's not possible to remove the event link as it's not part of the application menu, I'm working on fixing this. :thumbup: Also hidden within the application menu are a small selection of games. I highly recommend the simplicity of helicopter. These games can be played even during posting if you need a break, woo 992! Is the 1000 achievable? :crazy: EDIT : Bugger, Martok just scored 1064 on helicopter! :clap:

With the less complex side over and done with and me managing to pull myself away from helicopter lets crack on with the Right side starting with the private chat user list.

This list currently shows all users on the site using the chat system. The option menu shown below and found by clicking the small cog allows you to configure some aspects of the system. Personally I have chat sounds enabled which produces a small "dip" whenever a private chat is received. It is also possible to select to keep the list open permanently (why would you?) and enable your block list. :wtf: Any private chats you receive appear to the left of the user list button.

Next is the part I like about the system; the chat rooms. Upon first click of the Chat Rooms button you'll be given a list of available chat rooms. Currently there is only one, general chat. We initially tested an announcement system using more than one chat room but it wasn't that successful.

There are a few options menus from within a chat room but let me first point out the one that should need no explanation. The little arrow/door symbol details the leave chat room button. :o The other two option menus can be found be clicking either upon a users name or by clicking on the small cog icon in the top right. The user menu is fairly self explanatory but let us explore in more detail the options menu.

Once more we find an audio notification option. This sets the audio notifications for the chat rooms only. The two options "Keep Room Open" and "Stay in Room" are mutually exclusive. Setting the "Stay in Room" option will ensure that you remain in the room as you navigate around the site, reading and making posts. The "Keep Room Open" not only keeps you in the room but also keeps it open as you navigate around the site. My personal choice is to "Stay in Room". With this set you'll be notified with a small red balloon detailing how many messages have been posted since you last opened the room. Clicking on the "Chat Rooms" button will reopen it and show you the last 60 minutes chat. With that in mind may I warn you that messages posted in the chat room persist for 60 minutes and are available to read by all if they wish to scroll back.

Finally I'll detail the last two icons together.

The small news paper is where you will be notified of new private messages. Clicking the news paper to list the notifications effectively clears them. If you wish to reminisce then a click of the looking glass icon will recall your expired notifications. :? The last icon to explain is the chat systems on/off button. :thumbdown: Booooo don't press it. Booo hiss!

I hope this post has helped you get to sleep understand this feature of the site better. Any questions, please ask.

Abs

:wave: :tumbleweed:

Attached Files:

2. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Lots of work involved in getting that wonderful guide up Halo. Is a link going on the front page so pottential new members or those green ones can see what they are missing out on?

3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    There's already a post about the Chat system on the front page here. I guess we need to sticky it so that it's easily available for new visitors.

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Good work Halo (& Martok!!)

5. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Great post and great functions - thanks. I've already tried the chat system and it..just works! Great 8-)