Chat system enhancements

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Senior Gamers has had its own chat system since we launched 17 months ago and at the time we posted information about this here. The chat system is one of the extra benefits of becoming a full member (Senior Citizen) of the community.

There have now been a few enhancements to the chat system which should make it more usable, especially on mobile devices.

Desktop notifications
The chat system now supports desktop notifications for private chat messages (not messages in the chat room) if you are using Chrome and Firefox. This means that if you have the site open in your browser but you are currently viewing another website when a private message is sent, you will see a desktop notification.

chat_desktop_notifications.png

Chat bar disabled on mobile devices
If you are accessing the site on a tablet or mobile phone, you will no longer see the chat bar (which wasn't that usable anyway on those devices).

Chat room page
This has been mentioned before but as a reminder, there is a Chat room page which is linked at the top of the forums (available only to full members). This is useful for those wanting to use Chat on tablets.

Mobile chat
The mobile chat has been enhanced and now supports both private chat and the chat room. Details on how to access this are available to full members in the community section.

Mobile chat is ideal for those who want to chat with others from their mobile phone. It can be used on a tablet or even a PC though we would suggest you use the main site chat bar/chat room page for that.

To use the mobile chat, you will need to make sure you are logged in on the website on your device first, so it's probably best to visit the site first before going to mobile chat. Once there you will see the following screen:

chat_mobile_overview.png

You can see which users are currently online, which ones are idle (some would say @DrewePeacock is always idle ;) ) and whether or not you have any new private messages from those who are there.

Tapping on a user will enter into private chat with them. You will be able to view any previous private chats with them as well as have a new conversation with them.

private_chat.png

Messages you send are displayed on the right with theirs on the left plus their avatar to easily identify who said what.

Tapping on the chat room will take you into the chat room itself.

mobile_chatroom.png

Again, messages you send are displayed on the right with those from others in the chat room on the left plus their avatars to easily identify who said what.

To see who is in the chat room, click on the button at the top right of the screen.

mobile_chatroom_2.png

Hopefully these enhancements will make the chat system more useful, particularly when out-and-about or when gaming when you may only have a tablet or mobile next to you and want to chat with other members of the community.

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
How do you access this?

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ah just read the rules now - Guess I need to play some games with you guys fingers crossed my PS4 gets delivered tomorrow, I've added anyone that's sent me an invite through the PS4 app on my phone if I've missed anyone let me know and I'll add you.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
look at all the spam on @Martok 's computer lol

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It is spam, must be from all them adult sites he uses and stop with the smooching on the forum lol

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Chat has been upgraded today. The updated version has various performance improvements in the back end which means that it should be nice and fast.

If for some reason the chat bar has disappeared for any Seniors then performing a hard refresh of your browser (CTRL + F5) should restore it.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Chat has been upgraded today. The updated version has various changes and improvements on the back end and a slightly different look on the front end. There are some additional features that the new chat brings that may be switched on in the future.

If the chat bar still looks the same as it did and doesn't look like this

upload_2016-12-30_12-41-10.png

and if the chat room still looks the same and doesn't look like this

upload_2016-12-30_12-42-17.png

then performing a hard refresh of your browser (CTRL + F5 on Windows, Cmd + Shift + R on Mac) should restore it. Alternatively, clear the cache in your browser.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Browsing on mobile - link from dropdown menu gives:

Senior Gamers - Error
The requested page could not be found.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Browsing on mobile - link from dropdown menu gives:

Senior Gamers - Error
The requested page could not be found.
Sorry, I missed copying across a .htaccess file, all should now be working. :)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is there any chance of having the profanity filter removed?

Edit * and the character limit removed or increased

Last edited:

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Agreed on the character limit thing.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Character limit is a pain and it still doesn't refresh automatically for mobile browsing, which is annoying.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is there any chance of having the profanity filter removed?

Edit * and the character limit removed or increased
Agreed on the character limit thing.
Apologies. The upgrade to the latest version is effectively like a brand new install. I thought I'd switched off the profanity filter but seems I missed it. Anyway, it's now disabled. I think the character limit is a new feature (which is why I didn't notice it). It's now set quite high so you're unlikely to exceed it. :)

Character limit is a pain and it still doesn't refresh automatically for mobile browsing, which is annoying.
I hadn't realised it wasn't refreshing automatically previously. It should have and should still be doing so in the new version, but I can see that it isn't. I'll have to look into this further.