PS4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare launches on PS4 25th October

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Modern Warfare has returned and deploys 25th October. Prepare to go dark.

Developed by Infinity Ward and scheduled for global release on PlayStation 4 on Friday, 25th October, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a powerful, reimagined experience and all-new title, built from the ground up. Take on the role of highly-skilled Tier One operators in an exceptionally raw and gritty narrative affecting the global balance of power.

A Visceral and Heart-Pounding Campaign

What can PlayStation 4 players expect from the Campaign mode? The new Modern Warfare ratchets up the intensity with an emotionally-charged and thought-provoking single-player experience. Edgy, culturally relevant, and shining a light on the changing nature of modern war, players will fight alongside a diverse cast of international special forces and freedom fighters. You’re working within the grey area of the rules of engagement, whether you’re venturing through Europe or trekking into the expanses of the Middle East, expect a number of heart-pounding operations. These operations include long-range combat with a reliance on tactical decision-making, close-quarter, and stealth missions.

A Unified Narrative Experience
Continuing beyond the edge-of-your-seat single-player campaign, prepare for a unified narrative experience and progression across all elements of the game, whether that’s single-player, online multiplayer, or co-operative experiences.

Additional Intel: Don’t Be Kept in the Dark
Be sure to check both here, and the Activision Games Blog in the coming days and weeks for the latest Call of Duty: Modern Warfare announcements and content.

Pre-orders at participating retailers are available now, and at PlayStation Store.

Source:

ExUser03

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
I’m glad they’ve put a campaign in rather than last year.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
For the first time in a few years (well, since the early days of the PS3) I'm actually interested again in a Call of Duty Game. The new CoD: MW (due October 2019) is looking very interesting with changes towards more realistic, gritty gameplay and a lot more besides. Infinity Ward is back doing this one (they did the original MW which I enjoyed).

There's a new trailer here

and someone who was invited to play the game recently (lucky YouTubers) has done an overview on the good/bad/ugly of the game (note it's his opinion and I don't agree with some of his negatives).

Oh and if you don't mind skipping through 4.5 hours of video, you can see a bunch more multiplayer premiere from the livestream earlier this month

So potentially we may look at getting this. There's a beta in September (early access to preorders, so later it'll be open to the public) so we can try it out then. So, is anyone interested in this title?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've played the open beta for a few hours now. Solid game, I'm rather enjoying it which is good as I've not played a CoD game since MW2 on the PS3 and didn't think much of any betas since then.

Open beta is still on this weekend plus it'll run again next weekend too. Well worth a try if you're looking for a multiplayer shooter.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Over the last 2 weekends I've plays a LOT of the CoD: MW beta. I like it a lot, which is quite positive since I went off CoD after the original MW on PS3 (I barely played MW2 and haven't bought one since) due to the changes they made. So here are my thoughts:

• Gun play is great, weapons feel solid. There are several weapons in each category (Assault, SMG, Sniper etc) so plenty to choose from
  • Weapon customisation is great, there's a lot of options for each gun once unlocked. Guns have to be levelled up to unlock attachments but that's fairly quick to do
  • TTK is very fast but I didn't feel I was outclassed by the kids and actually quite liked it
  • Rounds are quick, typically around 10 mins, if you have a bad round you're soon into another game
  • Matchmaking is superb, very quick so you're not hang around between games
  • Matchmaking can be filtered by game type, you can choose which types of games you play/not play. All chosen game types then end up in the mix which is great for gameplay variation
  • Perks on guns are useful but not overpowered
  • Kill streaks reward you with extras such as a UAV scan, cruise missile etc. There's several to choose from and you can customise to your taste. The 'beefier' ones are locked to higher killstreaks e.g. 10 or even 15 therefore you won't get spammed with them. However it does mean that the average player will be unlikely to use them
  • Cross play works very well. However you are definitely at a disadvantage playing against PC players with mouse and keyboard. Cross play can be disabled and I believe when the game is released you will also be able to set it so you are only matched with players using the same input type ie you could then only play against PS4/XBox/PC players who also use a controller. This should then be fine
  • The standard game modes (Domination, Headquarters, Team Deathmatch, EMP) that we played were 6v6 or 10v10 and were fun. Headquarters and Domination were my favourites
  • The new Ground War 32v32 game mode IMO is not very good. It's definitely not Battlefield and just seems like organised chaos. TTK really doesn't work well in the game, nor do the kill streaks as the low-level ones like UAVs are just spammed with so many players leaving the map lit up constantly. Personally I wouldn't play this game mode, at least not in this form.
  • Map design is very good. They have moved away from completely symmetrical maps from previous versions to more realistic looking ones yet they've managed to keep the balance so that one team isn't disadvantaged from a particular starting point. Once the game has started, spawning locations will vary across the map depending on where your team is, so you won't get spawn locked.

Overall I really enjoyed this game. It's a shooter that I can pick up and play either for an entire evening or just fit in a few games here and there. It's great fun and fills my shooter needs so we'll be pre-ordering this for launch on 25th October.