The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Multi Borderlands 2

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by HaloJ, 16 Jul 2012.

1. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    After spending far too many hours on Pandora with the first title and all of it's DLC I'm rather looking forward to going back there again for the second instalment. The titles quirky humour, great characterisations and millions of guns (literally) combined with solid game mechanics made Borderlands 1 a sleeper hit. I for one totally missed the boat with the first title and wasn't aware of it until Martok purchased a copy for me. This time it seems they are getting the marketing right and hype around the title is now starting to build with more and more information gradually leaking out onto the net. Borderlands one's accolade of holding the record for the most ever guns in a game is going to be broken when the second title is released. Although unlike the first the weapon variant control system has been tweaked to ensure that there are a wider range of weapons rather than the same weapon with small changes to it's stats.

Another tweak I'm rather happy about is the character customisation system. They have apparently expanded it to allow an almost infinite expansion. They've also improved the interface so that you get to see your own character helping you feeling more ownership rather than being a pair of eyes peering out the characters head.

[​IMG]

Anyway I don't want to waffle on too much killing all discussion of the title in the first post so without further ado here's the most recent trailer :

In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight! Aaarrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Borderlands just got a bazillioner better!

2. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    I am kind of looking forward to it, I have a few reservations based on the first one, after a while it does feel a bit samey, all those guns, but most of them were virtually identical and once you found that "best in class" gun it wasnt really worth looking anymore. I hope they alter the gun pick up buttons, the amount of times I accidentally swapped my good gun for one lying on the ground. I hope the infinite progression thing doesnt just mean your character becomes like the guns, you have lots of options but they are all a bit generic.

The 1st game was a big game and although it was a bit of a grind sometimes, there were often long drives to mission objectives, there was a lot of game there to play which made it good value. It was a game that I felt was worth buying DLC for, it didnt feel like they had removed whole sections from the game just to be able to offer you something to buy later, it was a full, full game, and then they added more.

If you have never played borderlands, its worth a look, not fantastic in any one area, but the overall package is a lot of fun and a great co-op experience, in fact it makes more sense co-op than it does single player.

3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    For anyone who wants to pick it up, Borderlands GOTY edition which includes all of the DLC is just £14.86 at shopto.net

Maybe we should have some Borderlands evenings before Borderlands 2 is released?

4. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    sadly I sold my copy after I had played it all the way through and then some.

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I never finished Knoxx, Or started Robot revolution.

6. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    We never killed the Crawmerax in the Knoxx expansion. The Knoxx expansion was a bit silly for my tastes. The difficulty was always set just a little to high above my characters stats and the huge distances that had to be covered were an utter pain in the backside.

I shot and hacked my way through a good amount of the Moxxi's tournaments but it was tough going and took a bloody long time. Not something I saw many others doing at the time but the expansion did come with that rather handy weapon bank which I used to store stuff to give to my other characters.

We did however play through the robot revolution which was superb! Especially blowing chunks out of hundreds of the little blighters! That was most certianly as good an expansion as the Zombie Island of Doctor Ned.

7. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I never finished the first one either , As yinkin said, it became a bit of a grind and the levels became a bit samey. Having said that I might pick up a second hand copy and do a bit more if I get bored. On the other hand , I've probably got enough games to keep me occupied till september when I'll be getting this.

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I loved the first one and played all the expansions too (on the 360). Not sure if I'll get this yet or not, mainly because money is tight and Ive got to be really picky.

Borderlands secret wasnt its story (which was ok) or its shooting mechanics (which were fine). It was the whole collectability that hooked people. Finding that next rare gun and showing it off to your mates. That one-hit-kill weapon find which pretty much let you rule the game. I initially struggled to get anywhere, and its only because my sons gave me a leg up (they were about level 30+ with some really decent weapons) that I started to make some headway. I think this is what you were supposed to do; join people online and tackle the game together. Chances are they'd be higher levels than you, and the weapon finds would be enough to allow you to stand on your own two feet. I dont think Borderlands was really meant to be enjoyed as a singleplayer experience at all. I would never describe Borderlands as a FPS. I'd call it a collect-em-up.

9. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I'm in the same boat, although less because money is that tight I can't buy games, but more because if I buy a game for £40 and it's not amazing I feel completely ripped off and annoyed with myself that I've wasted money that could have been better spent...because money is a bit tight.

This however has made it onto my launch day release list, the last game I got on launch day was BF3 and after Borderlands 2 I actually don't have any other games on my radar that i'd even consider on launch day.

I played the first one to death with my mate, we both played through the game twice (there was a reason for that, but I forget) and both did that with 2 characters, so we had all classes at max level between us. We did a bit of gun sharing when we found guns we knew each other would appreciate.

We also both completed all the DLC for it, I'm sure it is my mates only Platinum trophy and I think like me he may have actually got 100% trophies even across the DLC.

I have to disagree that General Knoxx DLC was hard, but you had to play on the different weapon elements fairly strongly for a lot of it. At least it gave you a reason to use something other than a Hellfire though...although alternating between that and a Pestilent Defiler basically saw you through it.

Crawmerax was an absolute pain, but to be fair that thing is meant to be next to impossible to kill. Think I probably had in the region of 20 successful runs on him though, out of probably 50+ attempts. It took a while to figure it out though and even then it was a fair bit of luck too. I was however max level (which means instead of the 3 level gap he has on you, it's only 2...or something like that) with some VERY good guns, had a Pestilent Defiler with 4 figure base damage and had a Masher type revolver with just short of four figure base damage, multiplied by the 7 shots it fired with every pull of the trigger and the pistol bonuses it's possible to obtain and you just need a couple of shots to connects with that thing on each of Craws weak spots to make him suffer.

I'll be interested in the classes in the new game, I went for the big brute of a chap and the sniper guy in the first game and ended up using handguns with both, loved the Brick though with his ability to regain health by going mental.

I'm hoping that the next game has better facility for mismatched levels of players in co-op, if they can just scale people's levels that would do it, that would eliminate power leveling, but that's not a bad thing IMO.

I expect to waste at least as many hours on this as I have on BF3 though.

10. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I'm gonna go to Grajnger Games later and I might get Borderlands and Red Dead Redemption unless this is gonna be a one off and not worth my money? I re bought a few games to play once, not the best money spent :(

11. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I did the same with BFBC2, re-bought and then it's never been played since as I missed the scheduled night I bought it for.

I wouldn't bother with borderlands now unless you've never played it.

12. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Was thinking about getting kingdoms of amular, but u have so many other games to play.

13. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Eurogamer has just posted a really good extended piece about Borderlands 2.

It includes....

• Almost invincible boss for max level parties to tackle. If you thought the Crawmerax was hard this one is lethal.
    • Details of the classes top abilities
    • Details of the longevity of the title and how they have tailored the second play through to be more of a challenge rather than a gun toting bullet romp
    • Pretty pictures :thumbup:

Touch this link with a gentle caress

Abs

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Damn it's looking good.

Gonna be very hard to choose a class this time around as well, on borderlands one I started off with the rogue character, one of two types of classes I love to play on this type of game, but was really disappointed with the lack of stealth on the class. This time around it seems that class is a true stealth class with massive damage multipliers for getting stealth attacks, potentially being a very big damage dealer at end game.

Then I moved to the Brute to be move of a tank class in co-op and it lacked any real "tanking" abilities, no way of getting aggro, other than that pretty much spot on, but this time around you get a proper aggro skill to pull enemies away from team mates, making this a true tanking class and the other type of role i've always enjoyed in these sorts of games.

15. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Yeah totally agree. I felt the characters of the first were a bit secular rather than team based. Myself and Martok played a Siren (Martok) and a Sniper (me). What I used to find was that I had problems healing as I had to make a kill to do so and everytime Martok phased the whole world and it's oyster turned on me. This time around it seems they've got the team play elements down a little better.

To further the above post they've also posted details of the Mechromancer "girl friend" class. Calling it such has kicked off a bit of a flame war but I think that's because they are missing the point. It's a class partially tailored to none gaming partners. A way for them to play but not necessarily needing the ability to shoot in straight line.

Once more unto the beach my friends!

16. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I think I would enjoy playing as the punky tank girl. Its rather a good idea for a co op mode to have a character that dosent need uber quick reactions and a dead eye to shoot straight.

Not sure if I like the sound of the boss thats virtually impossable to kill. If its just in the co op mode then fine, but I can see them putting harder to kill bosses in single player, which frankly puts me off games as I give up after a dozen attempts and flog the game in frustration.

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I don't want to get too excited about any of the new games coming last time I did I was underwhelmed :lol:

The first Borderlands got me hooked, this is a must have and is pre ordered.

I like that they have improved on the classes and characters will make the game more enjoyable

18. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Handsome Jack "come and get me" trailer.

Bit of a jokey walk through of each class and guns, lots of guns.

19. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    See now I'm expecting so much :( lol

20. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I'll be looking to place a pre order soon to get the extras.
    [​IMG]

so far i've found that
    Blockbuster is the cheapest @34.99
    Amazon is £36.94
    Zavvi or thehut.com is £37.95
    Game.co.uk £37.99
    Graingergames.com £38.95
    Shopto is £39.85
    Play.com £39.99

Does anyone know of a cheaper price or discount codes ?

BTW is there anyway to set up an affiliates scheme that auto searches all the main online sites and lists the results in price order?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice