1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Bf3 connection probs

Discussion in 'Battlefield' started by Fistdantilus, 4 Aug 2012.

1. Fistdantilus

Fistdantilus Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    Hi all , first of all sorry for dropping out if the game last night and it was doing my noodle in. I am having connection probs with this game (and only this game). I play mag,mw3 with no probs what so ever ...

Having checked the tinternet this mornig, the ps3 site advised me to re do the internet connection in the ps3 manually changing the last No. of the ip add by 50 and putting that address in as the primary dns address.

Then put that address into a dmz on my router . But after changing the settings i couldnt connect to the internet at all (dnas error).

So ive switched back to the old setup and put that ip address in the DMZ will this work or have i flamingo'd up (like a cock up but a lot bigger).

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks in advance

Gaz

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yeah the reason that didn't work is because you set an imaginary device on your network to tell your system the IP addresses of things. Doh!

First off can you give us a run down of your network, such as follows:

My setup is a router connected to my telephone line and my playstation connected to that via network cable.

My playstation is set to automatic network config and when I run a network test it comes up as type 2.

My router is set to automatically assign IP addresses (DHCP turned on) and has UPnP enabled.

I have no other routing features such as DMZ or port forwarding set up.

3. Fistdantilus

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    Ok no worries ,

My router is connected to the phone line and i connect wirelessly

Ps3 is on auto and ones up with a type 2 on testing

ip is on auto on upnp is enabled

and i have no port forwarding , but as in last post have put the Ps3 ip address in a DMZ (but will take it back out so im starting from scratch again)

4. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    OK, that seems like a fairly straightforward connection.

The major concern would be wirelessly connecting to your router. As much as the other games seem to allow this you're not doing yourself any favours. Is it possible to connect using a network cable for a night to see if you still have the issues?

Can you tell me what make/model of router you're using?

The next step would likely be to set up port forwarding specific to BF3, though the DMZ setting should do this, some routers are basically complete crap, I've got a netgear router that you basically have to turn off ALL security to get the DMZ to work and stop it from blocking things randomly for no reason.

5. Fistdantilus

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    i can wire the ps3 in to the network if that would be the easiest solution to the prob have all the wires in situ allready but was being a lazy arse digging them out :oops:

Ill dig out the wire is it the same as the old ps2 Xover or a normal e/net wire as have both tucked down there somewhere

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I would like to think that the issue isn't related to wifi, but you never know. It would certainly help if you can wire it but don't expect that to fix the issue.

As with the PS2 I believe it would accept both a crossover or normal cable....I would use a normal cable though if you've got both.

7. Fistdantilus

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    well thats done and my connection speed has shot up from 7mbps to 30 mbps ..
    hopefully that should help

Trust me to try a hard solution instead of a simple one first...

8. Fistdantilus

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_

I've got the virgin media "superhub" (netgear) not sure what model .super my arse supposedly running 120mb

9. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Not wanting to burst your bubble Fisty but I'm on a Virgin 50mb wired connection and in the DMZ and I still got DC'd last night. :)

10. Fistdantilus

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol :brick:

The odd dc i can cope with but when is every 10 15 mins its a little annoying,

but ill have a run round a few TDM's in a min to see if its any better

11. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
  12. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I would highly recommend that you do not use your PS3 wirelessly and that you go wired.

I used to use my PS3 wirelessly but suffered from disconnections and lag to some extent. As soon as I switched to a wired connection I got a dramatic improvement - faster download & upload speeds, no more disconnections and a much better gaming experience.

Using a cable is of course the best option. For me, this is impractical as my PS3 is upstairs and the router is in the lounge. So I use Devolo plugs which essentially turn the electrical cables in your property into network cables. One is plugged in to an electrical socket near the router and a network cable goes from it to the router. The other is in an electrical socket upstairs near my PS3 with a network cable going from it to the PS3. They work very well and I have a wired PS3 without having to trail a network cable all around the house.

I've got these ones which I think are a bargain at £19.99. They were much more than this when I bought them but technology has moved on since then. There's a range of others you can now get with faster speeds (mine are 85mbps which I find is fine). Anyway, they are a possible solution if you can't use a cable.

13. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Problem with those is that you can't use nearby sockets, because it will cause signal loss or interference. I use a similar system for my tv signal. Brilliant concept.

14. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    You can use nearby sockets, I do and have no problems. Where you would have an issue is if nearby sockets have noisy devices connected eg fridges, washing machines, kettles, hairdryers. As I don't have the PS3 in the kitchen and have no use for a hairdryer with the amount of hair I have then they work fine for me. :)

15. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I concur, I have a set of homeplugs, mine are the 200mbps ones, picked them up for about £60 a pair and I use them to connect my upstairs PS3 to my network to avoid having to use wifi and it's spot on, never had an issue with it, though I do no gaming on that system it gets constant network use with media being streamed.

And it's on the same set of sockets that my wife uses her hair dryer, hair straightners and baby monitor on. Never had an issue, solid as a rock.

16. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    The kitchen is near where I've got my tv plugged in. So when I start nuking some popcorn my image freezes for a few seconds. Never tried to connect my set to my ps3, so I don't know if there would be issues there.

17. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Spruijt - is that not the sending of an analogue signal through your homes power cables?

If so that's a completely different ball game to networking.

18. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Nope, it's digital.

19. Fistdantilus

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    Cheers for all the advice,

i played a few TDM's yesterday with no probs what so ever so fingers are crossed.

luckily back in the old ps2 days i cat5'd the house with a friend and had the cables tucked down behind the tv, so it was just a case of digging them out .

Hopefully this should sort it a bit....

see ya online (without too many DC's) soon

Gaz