1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

BF3 Close Quarters and Premium.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OAPboba, 30 Jul 2012.

1. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    I asked about this over at OAP and I'm interested to hear what the Seniors think too.

Those that bought Close Quarters DLC and/or Premium....now the shiny new-ness is over, do you think it was worth it? Do you play the DLC maps very often?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

2. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I never went premium, But I did get the CQ DLC, I play it during the day when I'm on my own, It's good for some fast paced action and you can level up pretty quickly too.

We have some CQ stuff in one of our regular map rotations.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    The COD DLC is a bit pants, the maps are tiny, which turns it into a twitch game rather than a tactical game, I only find it remotely playable if your favourite fun sucker (friendly fire) is turned on, otherwise it becomes even more ridiculous.

Out of the new game modes only Gun Master is any good, the mini conquest mode is horrible and i'd actually rather just play team deathmatch.

Due to the fact that's it's not cross compatible with the core game it's really a load of bollocks. If you could play Gun Master on core maps, or a condensed version of Rush on the new maps it'd be a lot better. The way it stands though with a 16 player cap on the COD DLC you either really struggle to find smaller maps/modes from the core game that will fit in well with the DLC or you do what the OAP's seemed to do and play the same 4 maps repeatedly, which on maps the size of a postage stamp becomes boring almost instantly, especially with no variation in game mode.

The Premium pack i'm finding alright, don't care about the strategy guide or the video's, but it means I no longer make any decisions about DLC, i've paid for it now, so it's done with. I do also really like the assignments, it gives those of us who have unlocked the majority of things in the game something to work towards (although I still have a LOT of attachments left to go). If it wasn't essentially the only game i've been playing and intend to play in the near future I maybe would have skipped Premium and the COD DLC and just bought the other DLC's that I know i'll like....but I know for a fact i'd always be wanting a shot on those new guns (even though they're nothing special) and I wouldn't know how much fun i'd be missing on Gun Master.

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I got premium just so I will have all the dlc close Quarter's isn't bf3 it makes it a fast paced cod style mess, it's still enjoyable. I jump on now and again but it's basically a shot gun users wet dream, 75% of player's will be using one. There's nearly no team work or skill involved. The next DLC and the last dlc are the ones to look out for. You do get silly extras like videos, stats reset and guides but I haven't used them. Premium as a whole extends the game and as I'm a huge bf3 fan worked for me.

5. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    Tiny maps and friendly fire on? Sad times for anyone unfortunate enough to be on my team :lol:

I may not shoot you often when you're an enemy but I find no such difficulty in massacring my own team.

In general I don't mind the odd session with FF if I have to (bit like death match) on but last night I was only going to be on for a couple of maps and it takes me longer than that to adjust my play style for FF so there was little point.

Hmm, maybe Close Quarters would be useful for maxing out the shotties, which I normally wouldn't bother with?

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yup, the reason I prefer FF on, particularly on these maps is it slows things down and stops spamming of explosives or suppressive fire down a corridor. You need to at least be a little bit careful.

In general I can barely tell the difference between FF on or off anyway, I forced myself into a habbit of friend/foe checking before opening fire on Socom, I still do that today, although I will open fire when at point blank and unaware I had a teammate nearby, stopping if I notice they're a friendly, and reviving if one of us has a defib. And often enough get a friendly grenade kill.

Think of how fast paced team deathmatch is...now double that, smaller area and utterly intense, you can rank up and unlock attachments at a stupendous rate on those maps.

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I've got Premium because it made more sense to me to buy the DLC that way rather than the separate map packs. Premium is £39.99 and the DLC map packs are £11.99 each. Buying all 4 costs £47.96 so more expensive and you don't get the extras (additional assignments, 2 week early access etc). Even if you only want 3 map packs, they cost £35.97 so for just £4 more Premium still seems good value.

Regarding the Close Quarters maps, they are fun but they aren't as good as the standard + Karkland maps. There is a 16 player limit to the maps too. Gun Master mode is great fun, working your way up from a handgun through various other weapons and then to win the game with the knife. Conquest Domination is effectively a cross between Conquest and TDM - it's fast and frantic and ideal for shotty whores.

Personally I wouldn't just buy Close Quarters DLC on it's own, I don't think it's worth it. However, I'm happy that I got it as part of the Premium package, in that respect it is worth having.

We have been playing a varied Close Quarters rotation (with some standard maps thrown in too) on Fridays. If you do get it you'd be more than welcome to join us. :)

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Ive got Premium, mainly because theres not too many good games out on the horizon and BF3 appears to have some long legs going for it.

As Martok said, Premium is the way to go to save money in the long run.

Do I regret it? Not a bit. I love the Close Quarters DLC. It was this that got me playing BF3 again. Its BF3 but in a different skin. Shows what a versatile game it can be. Gun Master is just awesome fun, and the CQ Conquest mode makes for some very very fast gameplay, as flags change hands so quickly.

I cant wait for Armoured Kills now. Biggest BF3 maps ever!! Get in there.

9. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I don't really like the COD DLC, I don't get on with games at that pace where it's all about reaction speed and little about planning and tactics.

Do I regret it? Not at all, the way I figure it is I've paid probably a few quid more than if I'd skipped premium and this DLC and as much as I don't think it's great DLC, it's certainly worth the few quid for that and the extra Premium features.

On a side note Boba caved and bought the Premium pack 4 hours ago according to Battlelog.

10. Wilks

Wilks Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Wilks
    Glad you had honest opinions from players who actually own the dlc rather than having criticism from people who don't. Plus get facts wrong, know what I mean Boba ;)

11. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I guess some of us and our opinions are somewhat missed at the other place.

12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    When I left first time round ( :oops: ) I had so many nice PMs from people. Some of them where from people who said they loved reading my posts and found them well balanced, and were sorry to see me go. Personally I was really shocked for two reasons :-

1/ Some of the messages were from people I've hardly gamed with, and didnt post much themselves
    2/ I do talk an incredible amount of shit sometimes, and I am prone to contradiction

So yes, I bet they do. We've got some of the largest spammers over here, so things are probably a bit quiet over there! :lol:

13. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    If I had more time to play BF3 I would buy Premium. Mainly because of the reason Martok stated. It's just more value for your money.

14. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    personally i think it's worth it.
    By the time you've got all the expansion packs and all the new weapons and vehicles, it's basically a whole new game :thumbup:

I do however disagree with the general opinion over here that the gun master mode is good, as an ex COD player i can only say that it's a piss poor imitation of the gun games available through the custom modes on blops and is no where near as good, :thumbdown:
    although with the exception of operation 925, the maps are far superior on this type of mode :clap:

15. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well I think whatever the personal opinions seem to be, the general consensus is that you're not gonna go wrong if you get the Premium pack. :thumbup:

16. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    In my case at least I've not got blops and so have nothing to compare it with which is one factor towards why I think it's good.

Looking forward to the Armored Kill DLC - as long as they do the big maps right and they don't turn out like Heavy Metal on Bad Company 2 then I think we'll be in for a treat. :)

17. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    +1 :D

18. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET

Who are you and what have you done with Colsonders!!!?

There was nowhere near enough f'uck' and '****' In that post!

:lol:

19. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I started playing Battlefield it as I couldn't play COD very well. I like battlefield as there's a vast array of things to do rather than just see how many people you can kill without being killed. There's lots of vehicles to use ad some really big maps to play on. Iyts not just kill, die kill die.
    You get points to progress by completing objectives, capturing flags and blowing up Mcom stations. You get points for resuplying, healing, spotting enemies. You dont have to have quick reactions to play this game.
    HOWEVER Close quarters is an attempt to lure COD players to battlefield. Thats not a bad thing, but its not what I want from the game so I havent bought it.
    I will buy the next map pack. It looks awesome. Battlefield as it should be. So I am not a premium player, I'll pick and choose my DLC depending on if I think I'll enjoy playing it.

20. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    You're absolutely right, and it works. Well it has for me, as now Im back caring about my unlocks. I find myself practicing flying in empty servers. And I actually enjoyed a game of Rush the other night!!! :shock: