The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 BF 3 Orange disconection triangle

Discussion in 'Battlefield' started by Acegadgets, 21 Sep 2012.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
  2. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    You continue to find excuses for your issues when it's plainly obvious that you have line problems. I'm an IT technician of 20+ years experience and you just don't want to listen. There is far too much evidence suggesting that you have a line issue which with the every increasing piece of information you are giving "my neighbour has problems" "I have problems in other games in the evenings" suggests there is a hardware fault at the exchange. Not a catastrophic one but a fault none the less. I was going to detail the full walk through of using pathping to troubleshoot the connection but feel it would be a futile waste of my time as it's a complex tool. It seems to me that you want to find any other excuse which takes the blame away from Orange. Are you frightened of calling them? If I worked for OpenReach I'd drive up there and fix it for you because I enjoy gaming with you.

Abs

EDIT : That thread has such wonderful gems of "I'm gaming wirelessly", "I've a poor ping to the server" all symptoms of a poor/broken internet connection.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Ace - if you don't want to call Orange or BT to get them to check the line, could you at least post up screenshots of EVERY one of your routers admin/setup screens so that we can at least verify that it's set up as it should be?

At least then you know BT shouldn't be charging you a callout fee if they find no fault on the line.

4. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    The last time we contacted Orange was around a month ago and thier diagnosis was that our old router could have a fault so they sent out a new one. It hasn't helped, I get a great service during the day, its just at evenings on battlefield that I get problems.
    I agree that Orange are not a good service provider as its hard to contact the Indian call centre.
    When I try to phone them during peak times I am not able to get through. I would have to wait for over 45 mins to get through. (one of these days I will hold on for that amount of time). When I phone during the day they say that I should phone when there is a problem so they can determine what it is.
    I just did another Ping test :-
    [​IMG]
    According to that result I have an excellent connection.
    I'll post one later in the day so the difference can be seen.
    Its easy for people to say change the isp, and I will do (because of the call centre thing) when our contract is closer to expiring.
    I dont believe that anyone else can offer a solution though as our neighbours around the corner with a similar household have exactly the same problem with BT. Until the cables are renewed in the street we are stuck with this problem.
    The reason I posted this thread link is to show that this connection issue is really just EA Battlefield games. They put something in a patch that now affects those with perhaps slower connections at peak times. I've been on GT5, Dirt Showdown, Killzone 3 and Borderlands over the last week, and the worst that happens is that comms break up now and then.
    So Yes I will be persiviering with getting through to the call centre, and Yes I will be changing my ISP soon, but I really dont think thats going to help until EA change the way they treat slower connection speeds on thier servers.

5. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Col, I,ve clicked on the enable DMZ button,. Prior to that I put some numbers into the post forwarding boxes that I searched for regarding the BF 3 game.
    [​IMG]

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Ace - the reason I asked to see ALL screens from your router is that you may have some firewall crap still blocking those ports...I had the same issue with my pile of crap Netgear router....it's makes absolutely no sense, but I had to essentially disable most of my firewall to get it working properly.

As for the ping test that proves one of two things.

Either Orange are a terrible ISP (which we all know) and you only get that sort of quality during the day when not a single other user at your exchange is using their connection, during what's called peak hours you're sharing that awesome connection with 50 other households and therefore only get a tiny fraction of the quality.

OR

Your router still isn't configured right for EA games. Which if your saying are the only games affected then i'm sure it's the router. I'm not sure which screen it'll be on for you, but have a look for a toggle for Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection and toggle it to disable them. Also if you have an MTU size setting (which would be something like 1500) then drop it down to 1458.

And finally, I know it's a really stupid question, but it's rule one of diagnosing a system....your PS3 IS set to 192.168.1.131 on a manual config isn't it? i.e. you've set it specifically to that in the PS3's XMB rather than trying to have the router always assign it that number.

Sorry, lots of questions I know...but we really want to be able to play BF3 and NFS:MW with you. Last night was awesome on Borderlands, I want more of that.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    His ps3 has that IP via automatic setup

8. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Then that's the first thing that needs to change.

Scenario
    Nothing in house is connected to the network.
    PS3 is turned on and picks up 192.168.1.131
    Tested and everything is OK.
    PS3 turned off.
    Later on PS3 is turned back on, but something else is already connected to the network and the router has assigned it the ip 192.168.1.131.
    PS3 picks up 192.168.1.132
    No traffic on the required ports reach the PS3.
    Acegadgets runs on the spot.

Fix that to a static IP address on the PS3 using the following numbers:
    192.168.1.200 IP address
    255.255.255.0 subnet mask
    192.168.1.1 router/gateway.
    192.168.1.1 DNS (can update this later if required)
    0.0.0.0 secondary DNS (again can update later if required)

The change the port forwarding address on all those port ranges to 192.168.1.200.

That rules out DHCP being an issue.

9. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Next up would be to fix the port ranges as they've not been set up correctly.

10000-10100
    14000-14016

These are ranges not individual ports, so the first one you're missing 99 whole ports out and the second one you're missing 15 ports out.

Your router should allow you to set a starting and ending IP to do port ranges.

10. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Ace you say you have no issues with BF3 at any other time but the evening I think that shows more than anything that the problem isn't BF3 especially if you factor in that you couldn't host GT5 the other night due to connection issues. BF3 isn't going to turn it's servers to "shitty connection mode" of an evening and leave them running great all day.

You believe that it's line load/contention but your neighbour on a different ISP exhibits similar issues. The fact that it's a different ISP is the big clue that it's unlikely to be contention as you are running on totally separate pieces of kit. You on a Local Loop Unbundled service with them on pure BT.

Regarding your ping. It's very nice but made at totally the wrong time of day. You've done a weather check in the middle of a break in the rain and predicted dry. You need to do the ping check as soon as you exhibit these issues and take more than one so we can have a look at an average sample.

Could we have the model of your router please? I wish to discover where the CRC error count is.

11. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    The router is an Orange Brightbox.
    I'll get my son to go into all the firewall settings and everything else thats been suggested later on.
    The guy in the call centre reckongs that If i phone on a Monday night I might have to wait for around 45 mins to speak to them but I will hang on and ring them as they need to do tests at a time when I am having problems.
    Going to do more Ping tests later on today as Sunday nights are generally quite poor.
    As for GT5 , I hosted OK but we couldn't get the comms to work between everyone. We switched to Crisspy (I think) and comms were OK but plax coundn't join the room. Various connection problems occur on the multiplayers servers of GT5, for all users.
    [​IMG]

12. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I havent played battlefield much in the evening recently. First night on for a while and the problem returns, Thought it might be my connection so did a ping test and it seens my connection is still good.

[​IMG]

Going to have a deeper search online to see what the cure might be.

13. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Try one of them playstation system database fixes although if it's only bf3 that might not be the problem. Is your disk scratched? These are just suggestions.

Is a ping test not just a test on low sized packet ping between two locations. If so maybe it's a speed issue rather then ping issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice