PS3 Beyond Two Souls

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If you pre-order this (out 11th Oct), you can get the special edition for the same price as the standard edition, while stocks last that is. This has been on my radar for a while now, really looking forward to it.

The special edition comes with:

Steel book cover
Exclusive extra game scene
Game soundtrack (always a winner with me :))
Dynamic themes
Making of featurettes

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I genuinely thought a game that looks this great, would generate more conversation. Goes to show even I can get it wrong :think::D

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything about it! I'll check it out later.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really like the sound of this one, and not just because of Ellen Page either. Its too close to the PS4 release date (which I'm hoping might be early October). And one of the provisos of me buying a ps4 is no new games for about 4 to 5 months, which I've already broken by getting Fight For Fortune on the vita. And she found out about it too. She bought me ps+ early so I'd have a steady supply of free games whilst waiting.

Anyways, I'm desperately trying to reduce my shelf of shame before the ps4 arrives. I'm not going to clear them all, but I will make a dent. Cant see myself playing the ps3 much once the ps4 is out.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyone played the demo of this? I absolutely loved this, and I'm now dwelling on how it all could possibly end. I didn't intend on getting any more ps3 games, but I must admit I am seriously fighting the urge here. Even if you didnt like Heavy Rain, its hard not to be gripped by the story and gameplay elements.

Anyway, if you see me playing this at some point, try not to laugh too hard at this weak willed fool.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
How Beyond: Two Souls has moved on from Heavy Rain – interview

At first glance, Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain seem to have more in common than not. Both games focus on intricate narratives and deep character development, highlighted by cutting-edge performance capture and dazzling digital sets.

But on closer examination, Beyond: Two Souls, which launches exclusively for PS3 on 11th October, is a wholly unique creation with no obvious analogue. For one, its sweeping story focuses on one character instead of four. Beyond: Two Souls spans an entire lifetime as it follows the trials of protagonist Jodie Holmes (Ellen Page) and her constant companion, Aiden, an invisible entity with incredible powers. For another, it features a radically different, more direct gameplay style compared to Heavy Rain.

In our new interview, Quantic Dream co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere discusses the differences between the team’s two latest projects, and the daunting scope of the story. Listen in for his insight on the game design process, and how Quantic Dream infused player-driven choices into a story-driven experience.

In Beyond: Two Souls, players jump between different periods of Jodie’s life, piecing together the story while controlling both her actions and those of Aiden. And Jodie’s life hasn’t been easy.. Exposed to psychological experiments at a young age, and hurled through adulthood by desperation and heartache, this woman has seen more danger than most. But she hasn’t seen it alone. Aiden has been connected to her since birth, and will share in her 15-year journey through Beyond: Two Souls.

Beyond: Two Souls promises to push the limits of interactive storytelling as Jodie hunts for answers. Help her unravel the mystery surrounding her connection with Aiden, and what lies beyond life itself.

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

Beyond Two Souls is out on 11th October. Best pre-order prices are:

Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition - Steelbook - £37.98 from Zavvi (whilst stocks last)
Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition - £37.98 from Zavvi

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
BEYOND: Two Souls launches on PS3 this week, see the launch trailer

Tomorrow sees the launch of BEYOND: Two Souls across Europe, except for the UK, where it arrives on Friday. And in anticipation of that, today we have our launch trailer.

It’s been an exciting journey since this title was unveiled back at E3 2012. Earlier this year the game was honoured with an official selection by the Tribeca Film Festival, and at E3 and Gamescom this year we gave media and fans the chance to trial the game for themselves, and see the advances in both storytelling and gameplay made by Quantic Dream since their last title Heavy Rain.

Last week the demo went live on PlayStation Store, featuring two full levels from the game. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, I’d recommend you do so. And also last week we hosted the world premiere of the game at the Grand Rex Theatre in Paris, including a panel discussion featuring writer/director David Cage, lead actors Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, and soundtrack composer Lorne Balfe.

BEYOND: Two Souls really does represent a huge step forward in interactive storytelling and shows how developers can truly blur the line between video games and cinema. It’s a unique experience – with gripping performances delivered in full performance capture by Ellen and Willem, unparalleled cinematic presentation, and a powerfully emotional and thrilling story which branches off in different directions based on your choices and actions. If you’re a fan of great storytelling, this is an experience not to be missed.

We hope you enjoy the game when you pick up your copy this week, and that you’ll continue the conversation around your experience with your friends, both offline and online. Every person is going to have a different experience with this game, in part because of how many variations the story can take, but also because key moments of Jodie’s life will resonate in different ways with each person. By living Jodie’s story, you’ll help create your own. Enjoy!

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Only just tried the demo this morning and although it looks great I didnt like it which was disappointing. It reminded me of the old laser disc arcade game from the '80s (?) Dragons Lair IIRC

Good to see something a bit different though and I'm sure there will be loads of people who love it.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Only just tried the demo this morning and although it looks great I didnt like it which was disappointing. It reminded me of the old laser disc arcade game from the '80s (?) Dragons Lair IIRC

Good to see something a bit different though and I'm sure there will be loads of people who love it.
Funnily enough, I felt exactly the same when trying it last week.

I keep feeling like I should finish Heavy Rain too but it always feels like a slog to me.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I felt exactly the same when trying it last week.

I keep feeling like I should finish Heavy Rain too but it always feels like a slog to me.
I also never finished Heavy Rain like you said it was so slow I just gave up. Wasn't gonna get this game anyway as I'm waiting for my PS4 ;)