PS4 Best news ever for PS4!!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The SixthAxis said:
In a lengthy post over onGamasutra, PlayStation 4 systems architect Mark Cerny has described all sorts of technical bobbins. Bus speeds, GPU bottlenecks and “bypassing its own L1 and L2 caches.”
Exciting stuff I am sure you will agree, but not as exciting as this: news that will thankfully see the end to a billion ‘humourous’ comments on websites across the globe.
Mark describes a number of dedicated chips on the PS4 and says “by having the hardware dedicated unit for audio, that means we can support audio chat without the games needing to dedicate any significant resources to them.”
The PlayStation 3 does not have cross game chat because there was simply not enough resources for it. The PS4 seemingly has a dedicated chat chip, it has cross game chat built in!
So a one, two, three and.......

What does this mean for me? Well my friend, the Xbox has had this feature for a while, and quite a dandy little feature it is too. Imagine for a moment, your currently spamming your smithing ability on Skyrim, whilst talking to Martok whilst he is playing the new Star Trek game. It really does make life easier in gaming, and I hope its as quick and easy as it is to initiate a conversation with someone on the 360 too. For all you random gamers like myself, you can quickly find out and discuss if someone wants a game or two of something whilst theyre on, or simply just shoot the breeze or whatever. Doesnt mention Parties (where a group of you can all talk whilst playing different games), but I dare say that could be a cert anyway, given that the PS4 has a dedicated chat chip.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't care one way or the other about cross game chat, I probably wont use it but I suppose its good for those who will.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If this fixes the current issues with chat on the PS3 then it's great news. :)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Will this mean better in game comms,?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This makes **** all difference to the issues that playstation has with comms.

What it does mean though is when games launch and the VOIP is inadequate...anyone remember BF3 when it first launched and the XBOX was the only platform where people didn't complain about VOIP? That's because they used the cross game chat facility.

If this means that the PS4 is finally going to have server backed comms i'm suddenly VERY interested in the PS4. But I'm not going to believe that until it's confirmed...officially...from Sony.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Um doesn't cross game chat get a little confusing. I often shout out things like he's behind you, or quick go left. Needless to say I doubt I'm the only one. Plus I don't always want to talk to Martok ;):D.

MaccyC

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
But a Shroud whispering "I'm behind you" will freak you out what every you're playing.....:shock:;)

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Moi? I is shocked in it ;)