• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

BBC iPlayer & TV Licence

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
But.....you can't watch it dead......
So you do have to watch it "live", ergo they were right and you need a licence.

:hi:

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's ok, It's only full of repeats of Dad's Army anyway.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Do people still pay for a TV license then???

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Do people still pay for a TV license then???
I got a letter through on Friday from the TV licensing people saying I could be fined if I keep ignoring them.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I got a letter through on Friday from the TV licensing people saying I could be fined if I keep ignoring them.
Doesnt that go against your human rights? I mean, who are they to force their will upon you?

If prisoners get free tv because of their human rights then so should you.

word yo.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Doesnt that go against your human rights? I mean, who are they to force their will upon you?

If prisoners get free tv because of their human rights then so should you.

word yo.
I don't even have a TV ariel plugged in.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think the bugger with TV license is its against the TV and not the aerial. You could probably go to court and demonstrate that you don't watch terrestrial TV and maybe get off, but that is a lot of mucking about...

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Excerpt from Wikipedia on UK TV Licensing...

When a TV licence is required[edit]
According to an Act of Parliament, a TV licence must be obtained for any device that is "installed or used"[29] for "receiving a television programme at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public".[30]

According to TV Licensing, "You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV".[31] Portable televisions and similar equipment such as laptops and mobile phones powered by internal batteries are covered for use anywhere under a licence held for their owner's residence.[32]

When a TV licence is not required[edit]
Since a TV licence is only required for receiving or watching live TV as it is being broadcast, it follows that it is not needed for simply owning a TV or using iPlayer. This has been confirmed by the BBC.[33]

In addition, it is not necessary to own a TV licence for the purpose of:[34][35][36]

• operating a digital box used with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds[31]
  • installing and using a television set solely as a closed-circuit TV monitor[37]
  • using a TV to play pre-recorded DVDs or videos (although to record live programmes it is necessary to hold a licence)[34]
  • using a TV solely as a digital radio receiver[36]
  • using a TV as a computer games console[34]
  • watching catch up TV services when the programme is not live.[38]
A programme previously recorded on properly licensed premises and then watched on unlicensed equipment is outside the scope of the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004, because it is not "received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public,"[30][39] although such recordings may infringe copyright.

TV Licensing offers the following advice to those who have a TV but 'who wish to make it clear that they do not need a licence':[40]

• remove the television from the aerial;
  • cover the aerial socket so that it can't be used;
  • ensure that when channels on the television are selected no television signal is received.
However, TV Licensing also says that it is not compulsory to follow this advice. To listen to digital radio on a TV, for example, it would be necessary to attach the TV to an aerial and tune the TV to different channels. The BBC has made it clear that it is legal to listen to digital radio using a TV without holding a TV licence.[36]

According to Ofcom, TV transmissions over the Internet are a grey area[41] which in future might make fees based on television ownership redundant. In 2005, a Green Paper by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport[42] included suggestions of "either a compulsory levy on all households or even on ownership of PCs as well as TVs".[43] However, TV Licensing have since stated that use of any device (including a computer or mobile phone) receiving transmissions at or about the same time as they appear on TV requires a licence.[31][39] The BBC is aware that new technology represents a threat to its revenue. A recent BBC report states "there is a continued threat to the growth in TV Licence sales from the increasing number of people consuming television in a way that does not need to be licensed".[44]

It used to be the case that televisions receiving a transmission from outside the UK (e.g. in Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey and the Netherlands via the Astra satellite, on which many channels are free-to-air) did not need a licence,[45] but this was changed by the Communications Act 2003, so that the reception of television from any source requires a TV licence.

In 2012, more than 400,000 households informed the BBC that they did not need a TV licence.[46] According to the BBC, the average number of addresses in the UK with a No Licence Needed (NLN) status in the 2013 calendar year was 1,879,877. [47]

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The TV Licensing website also says:

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?WT.ac=home_plt_check

If you don't believe that you need a TV licence, you have to tell them that this is the case and complete a declaration form which can be found via this page:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I knew all that already as the two frequent arguments I have with people involve the mistaken belief that a TV Licence is required to watch catch up TV or that as a cyclist I shouldn't be on the road as I don't pay road tax.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Have you told them? I never get any threatening letters from them as I informed them that I don't have or need a TV licence and they said they'd not contact me about it for at least 2 years. To be fair they haven't. Once upon a time they used to spam you practically daily if you didn't have a licence to the point my mate was going to take them to court for harrassment. They seem to have accepted that there really are people out there that don't watch live TV and that they aren't automatically criminals for having the audacity to be in the minority.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I knew all that already as the two frequent arguments I have with people involve the mistaken belief that a TV Licence is required to watch catch up TV or that as a cyclist I shouldn't be on the road as I don't pay road tax.
I knew you knew that. ;) My post was for the benefit of @ColSonders. :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Plaxinator and as you will already know, Road Tax was abolished in 1937. Today drivers pay Vehicle Excise Duty which is based on vehicle emissions and it's not this that pays for the maintenance of roads, it's general taxation that everyone pays. :)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I knew that too cos I bothered to look at this letter they sent me

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didn't, to quote Manuel from fawlty Towers "I know nothing...."

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice info but i have just been informed by her who pays the bill that it is oaid up till next year.