The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Multi Battlefield 4 Reveal

Discussion in 'Battlefield' started by ColSonders, 27 Mar 2013.

1. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well the official reveal trailer is now up, it looks to be a playthrough of perhaps the opening level of the game.

It's certainly looking great, have a look, discuss.

2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    I've not had time to look at the full thing yet, I've just glanced at some bits. Graphically it looks good, though I would expect that from the PC version (it shows an F key to press at one point which leads me to believe this). I'd like to see the a comparison of graphics between the different versions and more importantly, some footage of multiplayer gameplay.

3. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Not too shabby at all. Doesnt seem to bring anything new to the table, then you notice Friends scores popping up, so Im guessing theyre trying to bring some longevity to the singleplayer with leaderboards. I dont normally care about leaderboards, unless Im beating Martok, in which case they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Quite nice graphics, but its only when you get to see the foilage that you realise theres quite a significant improvement.

I dont think BF4 will reinvent the wheel, some it looks like more of the same with a nicer sheen and a few little trimmings added. No bad thing, bearing in mind BF3 gameplay was top notch.

The big question now is, which version do you buy? PS3 or PS4 (or 360 or Durango)? I wish you could play cross platform (ie PS3 vs 360 vs PS4 etc)

4. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I was quite impressed with the character graphics and animation on a later section where they are running through a bit of wooded area.

It doesn't seem to bring anything new though, a bit of optimising for better hardware and PC i'm guessing will be the lead platform all of the way.

I would expect graphically the 3 main players to be basically exactly like that trailer with PS3/360 (and wii-U if they are doing a version for that) being graphically on par with BF3 but with the new story. It's the same game engine after all and while they will have made some changes I wouldn't expect anything major to be different.

It's always difficult to tell from single player campaigns what is going on and how good a game will be, but it does look like they've gone along similar lines of a very linear single player game which i'm sure they'll get some bad press for like they did with BF3, though personally I thought the campaign in BF3 was on par with every other shooter in existence at the time, just with better utilisation of graphical effects.

Edit* as with Slaine, the big question remains, which system to get it for. Personally I will not be buying it for last gen hardware (PS3/360/WiiU) and will be looking at getting new hardware in to run it, though currently undecided on what hardware to get I do want to play this in 60fps, 64 player and in 1080p.....so we'll see what can offer me that.

5. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I haven't watched yet. I'll not be rushing out to get one of the new consoles so if I do get it I expect it will be on the PC.
    Col, 64 player games can be utter carnage and some of the maps are huge. They add an extra flag for Conquest games. Great fun though.

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Theres no plans to release it for the Wii-U apparently. In fact, neither will the new Saints Row or Dead Island appear on Nintendos "new" console.

Bit of a blow for them this. If the CODs dont make an appearance, then the console could be doomed.

7. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yeah I know it can be carnage, but on larger maps on 24 players it's just empty, the whole of Armoured Kill was just rubbish on PS3 due to the small numbers, every single person was in a vehicle, it just totally detracted from the core gameplay. Similarly some of the other larger maps could feel quite empty, Caspian can often feel quite empty, particularly when all the air vehicles are in use.

I don't think I'd want to play 64 player all the time if i'm honest, but I think for maps such as Caspian you really need to have 32 players on to keep it from feeling empty.

Anyway, this is the game that will drive my decision on next gen hardware purchase, so if the consoles get a bum deal i'll be getting a PC, otherwise it'll be a budget decision.

8. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Just for a bit of analysis on the video, a couple of things worth noting:

Suppression seems to be missing, or at least it was during the scene where the 50 cal on the jeep is keeping the players head down.

Scope and Iron sights available on the same gun. This is something I saw for the first time on CoD and it was a touch that I thought was neat so certainly something I'll be interested in here, though my preference would be a red dot or similar "quick" scope and something with a bit of range like an Acog.

Spotting may well have a different mechanic - in the video it showed spotting as a mechanic where you take your hand off your gun...so we now have a penalty, which means even less people spotting no doubt, though this may not make it into multi-player.

9. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    It uses the Frostbite 2 engine again, just a little more ramped up I think.

10. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    Thought it looked okay, but cant really tell what new it brings to the sepia military shooter genre, especially when pared down for the ps3, might be good on a PS4.

11. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    You sure about that?

This is a quote from DICE general manager

“This is of the biggest places where Frostbite 3 comes into play,” offers Troedsson.

12. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Pre orders are for this gen consoles and PC, no mention of PS4 . I'll be torn between PC and PS3.

13. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Why would you get it on PS3 when you can't play online on it without game breaking lag?

I found it strange that Shopto are taking pre-orders but not for the next gen consoles...specially given that the PS4 has been confirmed.

14. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    According to this "alleged leaked" poster it is due for release Fall 2013,even though the PS4 has been confirmed does it have a confirmed release date yet? I would be amazed if it was out this year.
    [​IMG]

15. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yes BF4 is confirmed as being released this fall and PS4 is confirmed as being released this Holiday Season.

The 'assumption' would be that BF4 will be a launch title on the PS4.

16. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    If you live in the USA maybe, Sony has said that it wants the PS4 release date in Europe to be ASAP but makes no promises on whether the UK and the rest of Europe will get a release date in time for Christmas this year.
    Think PS3 launch, It went on sale in the US and Japan before Christmas, the rest of the world had to wait until the following March.

So, I personally would still be surprised to see it this side of Xmas in the UK.

17. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    See what I mean about which system? We could all end up with the game on different platforms. Only the true diehards would buy two copies of the game (along with two Premium memberships).
    Personally, I cant see the PS4 being released this year, based on Sonys past record. So you could buy a PS3 copy and play till 2014 when the console is released in Europe, and then trade the lot in. You'd have about 4-6 months gaming on it, so its debatable if you'd want to buy another copy of an "old" game to play on your new system. But I can see the Durango being released before the end of the year, which could surprise us all.

18. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Mmmm I would stick with PC but I've found that PC players are either a lot better than PS3 and Xbox players or my PC Internet connection is crap. I have tried various different ping levels and even though I see no lag the majority of the time I can pump a whole clip full into somebody then have them shoot me once and I die. Hence my absolutely dire K/D ratio but I still come near the top as I PTFO.

I'm holding out and seeing what's what first. Probably be about a year until I do get a new console if I decide its worth it as at the moment I can't really be bothered with playing loads of games. I'm hoping that is just a phase

19. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    This is absolutely my prediction, particularly given the 8gb of gddr5 Sony have said will be in the new machine, which is apparently quite rare. Sony will get the PS4 on shelves in time for the holiday season for NTSC territories, I reckon an Easter launch for PAL systems.

BF4 will be a launch title here in the UK and probably elsewhere provided the BF4 launch date doesn't slip.

Xbox will be out by Christmas in this country and Sony will have screwed themselves over once again by treating the PAL territories to a delayed release, probably more so this time given the history and how many of us recall being treat this way several times already.

Given that I can build a BF3 capable machine for around £270 and given that Sony won't deliver what I want from a console (performance/price/features) then it's just a case now of seeing what XBOX brings to the game for me, but I doubt they can beat the performance of a £300 gaming PC for the same money.

20. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    For those of us who got MoH Warfight which was realsed before CoD Bops 2 it also had dual sights, this isnt new as other games also have this. it does add a lot more to the game and iron sight is a lot faster then the holo or RDS. They seem to make a MoH and then take the best bits and put it into the next Battlefield this was very apparent with the last Moh which i also got and loved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice