1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Battlefield' started by HaloJ, 29 Jun 2012.

1. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    To Premium or not to Premium that was the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the abuse of those with DLC or to buy and take arms against them on the Battlefield?

As a couple we've been informed that we only need to purchase one copy of the Premium for it to be usable on both systems effectively halving the costs. Although Battlefield have tweeted to the negative with regards this DLC sharing "feature" it was confirmed by Wilks of OAP and his partner Jenxy of HOPE.

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    It's probably quite a debate as to whether it's worth it.

I'm not sure whether premium is sharable, possibly, but I suspect the DLC that you get off it isn't, so you'd get the premium perks (which amount to almost nothing, some dog tags, camo and double XP events) but the DLC packs wouldn't share.

I'm still not convinced it's worth it, double XP events are pointless after rank 45 as you've unlocked everything you can through score, everything else requires a kill count. I'm not sure if the camo gives any benefit, perhaps similar to the spec-act camo where you don't show up as easily on heat vision? I have spec-act so no benefit there. The DLC packs is a bit of a rip, dunno how much they cost individually but so far I already have the Karkand pack from pre-ordering and the Close Quarters isn't very good, it would be better if you could play those game modes on the existing maps. As I had every intention of buying every map pack though I'm sure i'll save a few quid in the long run. The videos and other extras are also basically completely pointless.

I would say if you're not interested in Close Quarters and wouldn't fork out for that DLC pack then avoid Premium and just buy the later DLC packs as they come out.

3. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I haven't played BF3 In yonks.

4. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    It's worth another bash, Herm. We hadn't played in ages but tried it again after the big patch that fixed comms and various other bugs. I'm now enjoying the game and do try to get on when I can.

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I should really as it's one of the better FPS

6. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Battlefield 3 is one of my favorite games. principally as the maps are big, kill to death ratios are pretty umimportant and the players tend to be a bit more grown up than the COd BOYS.
    I have though decided to give the new DLC a miss as close quarters seems to be taking battlefield closer to COD.
    I am though going to buy the next "armored" map packs as they are to me what battlefield is good at :-Big maps, lots of vehicles, helicopters etc and lots of time between respawns. I think they are £11.99 per pack so i'll be picking and choosing mine.

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Im giving Premium and the DLC a miss. Ive been burnt before in buying DLC only to never to get to use it because some players in a group never had the required downloadable add-ons.

Besides, its well expensive. Plus youve got to ask yourself if you'll still be playing this in March next year (the date of the last bit of DLC).

Dont get me wrong. Cracking game. Ive finally mastered flying jets and helicopters now. But its a big no from me.

8. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Managed to get me a couple of hours to myself, Just fired up BF3 to be met with a 1.3gb update, Gonna take 90 mins :(
    So Is anyone getting the DLC on as and when basis?

9. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Halo & I are still toying with the idea of going Premium. It might be useful for us to do so as the community grows.

10. kencanvey

kencanvey Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    kencanvey
    With premium you do get some new guns to unlock in assignments and weapon camo also there is the point of the new destruction engine with the premium maps, I enjoy BF3 and can see myself still playing next year when the last dlc comes out, I still play BF2BC as I ike that too, so for me the dlc is worth it. :thumbup:

and just for Haloj as she like it :wave: :wave: :wave: ;)

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Well, as a final note from me on the subject; I'll get Premium only IF everyone else has all the DLC/Premium. I dont want to be that guy without it!!

Looking at the game release schedules, it looks like the majority of the good 'uns is put back to next year, so theres not going to be a bundle of good releases this year like last year. Still a couple mind worthy of a look, but I reckon BF3 could still have some legs for a little while longer.

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well i'm a tick in the Premium box.

I figured I would buy all the DLC anyway as it's the only game I bother with ATM and £40 invested into a title I already play seemed alright compared to risking £40 on a game I may not even like.

So I WILL be playing using the DLC and I WILL still be playing this in twelve months time...although by that point I may have actually unlocked everything for every weapon and got myself every medal in the game at least once!

13. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Aye I think we're going to jump on the band wagon today. The only game for me that I can see detracting from Battlefield time is Borderlands 2.

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Good to see you on the new DLC last night.

I think they need to sort out some better rotation of maps/modes, when you're playing such a fast paced game it's gets boring very quickly with a 4 map/mode rotation.

So apologies for shooting off so early on to find some Rush games, but on the bright side I did complete the majority of my assignments last night.

Moment of the night for me though had to be running out of ammo whilst trying to drop Halo at close quarters, I panicked a little when she turned at me, but the knife to the face finished her off nicely :mrgreen:

15. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Hah yeah that was at the top of the stairs. I suffered from a good few audio drops last night so didn't even know you were there until I turned around. Not sure what Sony did with the last system update but these audio drops happen on Uncharted as well on both systems, very annoying. I was relieved when you were shuffled to our team as I seemed to be repeatedly dieing by your hand! After that it was Shaolin and Roger with that rapid fire shotgun thing who kept mowing me down.

16. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I played on the old maps with stampie last night. realy enjoyed it. think I can live without close quarters

17. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    It's one hell of a rush. Very frantic and a huge change of pace but it is only a "side quest" from the real feel of Battlefield. Very much looking forward to the next expansion which I think is to be vehicular. Also I'm happy that I've now got one of my favourite guns unlocked to use, the AUG. The AUG was my weapon of choice on Vegas and I love the bullpup styling.

18. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    If I was to review the Close Quarters DLC I would compare it more to CoD than to Battlefield in terms of how it feels to play. Very fast paced and I can understand the comments directed at Battlefield games from CoD players about time to respawn being too high, it really feels like it in this fast paced game.

Nice having such intricate detailing on destruction where you can shoot a little hole through a wall to snipe through though but ultimately with it's fast pace and constant die/respawn/die I find it gets boring quickly. Nice for a mess about with something different and I can see the value of sticking a close quarters night up every so often on a rented server, but for me it's too far away from Battlefield to play regularly.

19. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    General server logo

Discussion with Martok and he has mentioned the following
    • Battlefield Thursdays (standard maps on conquest, priority to Senior Citizens)
      Premium Fridays (a mix of maps including premium ones, conquest mode)
      Mixed Mode Mondays (a mix of rush and conquest on standard maps)
      Rush night (standard maps on rush) - night tbc

Then we realised that there are only 7 days in a week. :thumbdown: We need bigger weekends!

Attached Files:

20. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I think you can create sets of named game rotations. Not sure how many exactly, i'm sure you guys will find out soon enough today anyway.

I would suggest creating meaningfully named game rotations, such as Close Quarters Mixup (latest CQ DLC only), Karkand Mixup (karkand DLC only - won't be popular though), ALL DLC Rush, ALL DLC Mixed Conquest (all the different Conquest types included with both DLC packs), Standard Maps Mixup (no DLC but mixed modes, some TDM/RUSH/Conquest) etc and try to go for a good long set of maps and modes in each rotation and then pick one on an ad-hoc basis for the night, maybe it could be requested via the forums, that way if you know you'll be on that night you can specify the server setup that you'd prefer.

The reason I'd go down that route is so that those who say don't have all the DLC can pipe up when they're gonna be on and ask for a server they can join. Most people who play regularly will likely have all the DLC anyway, but if we start saying every Friday will be FULL DLC ONLY then that restricts the more casual player from that night. Better in my opinion to go for full DLC packs server setups as the norm and switch to no DLC when needed to for the more casual player.

And to be honest I think as much as some players dislike come game types (can't beleive how many dislike rush) if it's a good mix of modes people won't mind and may even learn to like the less popular modes, it also gives people a chance to use equipment that is almost exclusive to modes, such as the Tungusta, which can only be found in Rush Modes or Wake Island Conquest.