Battlefield 3 Single Player

vitaredux

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. Single player Battlefield 3 is terrible.

I know we dont buy DICE games for the single player but, seriously, this doesnt even live up to Bad Company 2 standards. I thought it would be a jolly bit of fun before I got stuck into multiplayer with you guys. But the number of press this button, then this button sequences which were far from intuitive, and the linear path (step our of line and you're dead by any number of means), made this feel like a video not a game. You can't even skip the dialogue sections. :brick:

I would have been VERY happy if they had followed the example of Battlefield 2. Just bolt a few plotlines around some offline games of Rush and Domination with some semi-intelligent bots. That would have kept me occupied. I can't recall how many times I played Gulf of Oman just for the fun of whippin those bots butts something terrible. I even downloaded the mods so I could get 64 players in there.

Oh well, thats my rant over. I'm spent.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree, it's not very good at all.

I'm only playing it in the hope of getting platinum on BF3 but I'm finding it a struggle to sit down and play the next chapter of the story. I'd rather be doing other things instead, like playing the game online or playing the myriad of decent single player games I have sitting on my shelf.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Seems I'm the only person who liked the Single Player, not a bad story, although it was a bit slung together. I finished it on normal then on impossible lol enjoyed it.

Mainly did it for the platinum which in almost have ;)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You're not the only one who enjoyed it, I did too, fantastic graphical effects all over, a real showcase of what the PS3 is capable of and with gameplay and story that matches pretty much every other online FPS game these days.

Played it through twice for the trophies and enjoyed it.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not played the single player, Went straight Into Multiplayer.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didnt mind the single player. Uncharted has got nothing to worry about, but it was still an enjoyable romp all the same.

vitaredux

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Oh, dont get me wrong, visually it is stunning. A little too much lens flare perhaps but not as bad as a JJ Abrams film. :D

But I like games that allow me to explore the surroundings without punishing me by death. Let me achieve the objective in a number of ways, take different routes, discover places. This felt like I was just moving between cutscenes. I will admit I've only played the first two levels, but its enough to put me off.

And the fight scene in level 2 was almost entirely choreographed with a few Heavy Rain style imputs needed to avoid certain death. They werent intuitive either, but maybe as the game goes on I will learn that X means get punched twice and then retaliate and R1 means get headbutted, followed by throw man at fence then pick up and bash against fence, then knee head to finish. Oh and its not as forgiving as say Uncharted, where you can miss the odd button press without dying.

I will probably press on to find out if things improve. Maybe while its teaching me the controls, it has to be more scripted. But I would have loved to have been given a big level, a squad (or two) and told to secure all the flags.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It is a very liner game but most FPS games are like Cod etc. If your finding it hard knock the difficulty down, I thought the single player made me more cautious online, mind you I soon stopped and started to run and gun.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
vitaredux said:
But I like games that allow me to explore the surroundings without punishing me by death. Let me achieve the objective in a number of ways, take different routes, discover places. This felt like I was just moving between cutscenes.
Unfortunately games like Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted and Call of Duty have meant that this is gaming how it is today. I honestly can't remember a good online shooter that wasn't like this offline. Maybe borderlands, but can you really class that as an online shooter in the conventional sense?

I guess this is why many of us stick to the multiplayer side of things.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I went straight into single player on hard. I think I'm on like the 3rd level and I've not bothered with it since. I might give it another bash starting on easy. That way I can mop up the specific trophies for each level and have an idea what to expect when I start it on hard.
I think my problem is that I really enjoyed the BFBC2 singleplayer and was expecting more of the same with BF3. Instead it just reminded me of MW2.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It was Rubbish, only MW2 has a more rubbish pointless story. Quite frankly they should play to their strengths, ignore the Single players, lob all the dlc maps together in one package and make it multiplayer only and it would be no worse off. Think about the story in BF3 for two minutes and it makes no sense.

Sad to say publishers seem to have given up on decent singleplayer elements to shooters, which is a real shame, some of my favourite FPS have had great storytelling, eg Half life 2.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I personally thought it was a tedious grind. I played on hard from the off to get it out of the way aiming for the Platinum. There are some beautiful pieces like the jets and tanks but also utter dross let down mainly by the AI. If you fire at someone who isn't firing at you they all turn on around and start on you never mind shooting your nobby team mate who's stood in the middle of the field chatting. No they'll all turn and shoot at your toe that's sticking out from cover because you're the only thing in the game with a heat signature. It's also let down with the move to CoD style enemy spawning requiring you to pass a check point to turn off the spawning in a certain area. No way you can clear a way ahead and press on because everytime you clear another spawns and steps back into the downed enemies space.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
i enjoyed it. hoping medal of honour is similar.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
HaloJ said:
It's also let down with the move to CoD style enemy spawning requiring you to pass a check point to turn off the spawning in a certain area. No way you can clear a way ahead and press on because everytime you clear another spawns and steps back into the downed enemies space.
There's one bit in the game like that, when the big TV aerial tower thing comes down and you have to take down a jet with a stinger. I'm not entirely sure it's an infinite spawn thing either, to me it always felt that if I pushed forward with my squad then my squad and the rest of the team pushed forward and had a better angle on the enemy, enabling them to kill them quicker. I didn't actually sit and run out of bullets killing people for them to reappear again about 3 seconds later like it does in CoD.

I honestly didn't see the game as anything different to any of the other almost on rails shooters these days, for me it compares well with CoD and Uncharted where it's very linear, the difference being it has quite a nice gaming interface for aiming/shooting.

Gone are the days of a game telling it's own story through the game itself and just letting you do what you feel like.

Dmk222

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I must admit I've only ever finished 1 battlefield single player game and that was bad company 2 and that took 3 attempts my game save kept corrupting I only did it to get full gamerscore ,I started battlefield 3 got half way through and that got corrupted as well so I give up , I only like playing battlefield series online

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Any idea what was causing the corruption? Or was both of these play throughs on the Eggbox?

I've never had an issue with game save corruption but then I'm a fastitudous geek when turning things off. Quitting to the menu of the game, then to the XMB, followed by ejecting the disc and putting it in it's case, checking who's left online etc. After which I then turn the machine off giving it plenty of time to finish flushing any post game writes.

Abs

Dmk222

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
HaloJ said:
Any idea what was causing the corruption? Or was both of these play throughs on the Eggbox?

I've never had an issue with game save corruption but then I'm a fastitudous geek when turning things off. Quitting to the menu of the game, then to the XMB, followed by ejecting the disc and putting it in it's case, checking who's left online etc. After which I then turn the machine off giving it plenty of time to finish flushing any post game writes.

Abs
two things I put it down to are
1, faulty USB stick, I have 2 xbox's and have my game saves and profile on a USB stick ,I noticed on the same weekend that my BF3 was corrupted that my gears of war 3 was also corrupted I completed the game on insane got all the collectibles completed everything and it was all gone ,
I replaced the USB with a Xbox compatible one and it seems fine now
2, another thing I put it down to was that I was switching my Xbox off to early I now quit out of the game leave for about a minute then switch off .
I've never had a problem since (touch wood)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I quite liked the Single Player. Yeah its Linear but I like reading books and you cant get much more linear than that :lol:

[RANT]
If anything I have more of a problem with the multiplayer side of not just BF3 but most FPS in general. Why should I have to unlock weapons/add-ons/upgrades and the like? Why not make the same loadout available to all players no matter what the amount of time that they get to play/level up. It would be like getting less grippy tyres in GT5 because im a lower level than someone else.
[/RANT]

ahhhh I feel better for that :D

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I know what you mean Mick, its like the game is making the better players better. Surely if anything it should be slowing them down a bit, make it more challenging? Im not talking about going all Gun Master (ie level 100 your left with a knife and nothing else), but surely make it more of a challenge for people to get kills. Nothing sucks like picking up a game really cheap months after its release, to then be gang raped online by the hardcore who've been playing since day 1 and have unlocked every bloody thing!!!