1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Battlefield 3 DLC/Premium

Discussion in 'Battlefield' started by Slaine, 8 Jul 2012.

?
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Only if everyone else does

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Ive been keeping up with the comments over here, and correct me if Im wrong, but theres definitely some shared themes coming through, namely :-
    1/ Battlefield 3 is the most popular game over here; a good percentage of people own it
    2/ Most people have or will at some point invest in the DLC for it
    3/ Battlefield 3 is unlikely to be superceded by any game in the immediate future, taking in to account the game release schedule for 2012.

The reason for the poll is for purely selfish motives. Im actually thinking of getting Premium, but I dont want to be stuck with a load of DLC that I'll never use, especially as Premium is so expensive. Saying that, it does seem to be the cheaper way to buy all the DLC, hence the purchase. So what do you reckon peeps? Put my wallet away or jump in feet first and get Premium?

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Battlefield 3 Premium Contents
    Back to Karkand
    Close Quarters
    Armored Kill (September 2012)
    Aftermath (December 2012)
    End Game (March 2013)

Two week early access to all DLC

20 maps, 20 weapons, 10+ new vehicles, 4+ new game modes, 30+ assignments, 20+ dog tags.

I think thats all of it isnt it?

3. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Most folks have Karkland. Those playing the game at this point will generally have at least that DLC. One of my favourite weapons was unlockable only through the close quarters DLC, the AUG.

Premium also gets you extra perks on the battlelog site. The main one being the ability to favourite a particular match report for posterity and bragging rights.

4. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    I've just bought Premium. Initially I was holding off but starting this community with you all it made sense to pick it up so that I could play with as many Battlefield 3 players as possible when looking to attract new recruits. Not having it would mean I'd miss some folk plus our server would either be limited to the maps I had or at times I wouldn't be able to play on it.

It works out cheaper for me and Halo buying this as we can share just one Premium purchase across our two consoles.

I think this game has a lot of life left in it and I can't see it being superceded by anything else in the next year.

If you want all of the DLC map packs then this is the route to go. If you don't fancy some of them (Close Quarters isn't everyone's cup of tea and the next one based on vehicles may not be liked by some) then pick up the ones you want as you go along.

Regarding the SNR server, there will be some nights/events that will use the DLC and therefore those who don't have some/all of these won't be able to play. However we will ensure that there's plenty of opportunity for those with just the basic + Karkland maps to play on it too.

One final thing. Although Battlefield 3 is very popular over here I would hope that we don't turn into a 'BF3 community'. I very much believe that we should support a range of games and that by having a variety played we will be an attractive community to a wider audience.

5. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Cant see that happening, mainly due to the people we have here. As much as I like Battlefield 3, I wouldnt stop playing other games like Uncharted 3 etc.

How did you buy Premium by the way? Through the PSN store or in game?

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Premium itself is bought through the PSN store and is a massive 100Kb download. :lol:

Once you have done that, you MUST download the Close Quarters DLC from the in game store. Subsequent DLC is also downloaded in this way too - if you download these from the PSN store you will be charged twice.

7. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    I voted "nay" at this time. Although my time online has doubled from 6 hours to a whopping 14 since I've started playing it again, I don't think it will be worth the money for me personally. Perhaps this will change in the near future.

8. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I didn't do premium but I did buy the CQ DLC, Not sure I'll still be playing It In a year.

9. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Casual Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    BUCKAROO74
    Really not sure. Not played bf in an age and I'd forgotten how bad it is with all those user created servers. I'm going to keep going on in the hope the game gets playable/fun. If it does I'll get premium. If it don't, I won't.

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Such as this one :crazy:

It also allows you to do a stats reset, which only resets trivial ratio stats, and it gives you constant double XP events, combine those two and it makes the stats such as score per minute absolutely meaningless. Although it did show me eventually getting to that magical 2 on my k/d ratio.

11. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    The more regular players have all got decent servers in our favourites. Last night on the SNR was superb if someone drunken. :lol: I agree that the user hosted place are a pain but those that are good are starting to float to the surface.

EDIT : Yes Col that is the exact one I was thinking of. :thumbup: :woot:

12. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Casual Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    BUCKAROO74
    Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Just need to get into it again really.

13. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I often join the official servers but considering that has changed from thousands to hundreds its a but of a wait to one of my favorites often has a queue of 5+ :o

14. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    With that in mind, are there still official servers available? If so how the hell do we find them?

15. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    In the search in server browser look for dice keep in mind they are all full and the owner will be dice :)

Some people have called there's similar names to the official ones I think to pull in players.

16. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Ah righty so it's just a matter of digging, thanks. :D

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Tried to find EA servers too but no joy they must be all closed

18. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I can't think of any AAA games being released until October so I can see mist people playing BF3 until then. But I do have a lot of games to finish and start so will start spreading my time around lol

19. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    The EA servers have odd names that all start with PRG or something, there's still plenty about.

The way I find servers is to set my server browser to the game types I want, hit refresh and then scroll along to where space is available in a game and look for the servers that have full bars on the ping with normal looking names then click into the details to see if they're DICE/EA and join if they are. I literally never join a rented server of my own accord other than the OAP and SNR ones, I will jump into other people's games sometimes though.

20. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Can you favourite the EA servers too?

Oh yeah, got Premium today. Havent had a chance to play any of the Close Quarters maps yet, as my little girl came back from school demanding to play Minecraft (she absolutley loves it). I really shouldnt discourage this sort of behaviour, as theres precious few gamers in my house, so I indulged her.

Anyways, this was from my precious redundancy money so heres hoping I dont regret buying this!!