Are you the average UK gamer?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this, as I like stuff like this. Its from Deloittes annual Media Consumer survey carried out. Ive literally copied and pasted what I consider some choice tidbits.....

Around 50% of UK citizens own a games console, 37% have a tablet and around 35% have a portable games console.
Both tablets and portable games console had massive year-on-year growth with tablets gaining 175% and portable games consoles around 143% increase compared to 2011.
Of the 50% who owned a console, 66% of these had one console, 22% had two and just 11% had all three traditional home consoles.
The average UK gamer buys between four and five games a year, 81% of the games are in physical rather than a digital format. The reasons given for the continuing popularity of boxed products are that they are available before the digital versions of the game and secondly that consumers can trade in old games.
Casual gaming is on the increase but Deloitte’s research shows that hardcore gamers – those who play for more than 15 hours a week – will probably also own a tablet. Smartphone owners who do not own any other gaming device only play games for around two hours a week.

Despite the juggernaut of casual gaming, videogames were the least popular entertainment media.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Interesting the gender difference between gamers, very few female gamers by comparison. Doesnt really surprise me that gaming was lowly featured on that list of activities, gaming is pretty niche compared to say reading a book or watching tv. It is a relatively small sample size and doesnt show tha age breakdown of respondents. Are the people using the consoles largely the kids in the family, it doesnt say if the people responding to the survey owned and used the console themselves or had one in the family.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Suprised that people still read so much in thier leisure time , I know very few people who still buy magazines, books and newspapers, and that more people go to live performances (unless footy games are included?) than play video games.
I wonder where they got thier sample audience from, an old people home?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Readers Digest?:D

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I still read a lot, and frequently buy magazines. I find reading online I don't browse as much. I'll read the particular article of interest and maybe another one, but with a magazine even if I don't read the whole thing I do skim it all.

On a side note nothing average about me either, I am amazing ;).

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I still read loads. Not a big bookworm like I was but have my moments. Don't read magazines unless you count the CTC one. Also don't buy newspapers any more as the BBC News is free and The Guardian has a good mobile app. Used to be a Times gal but you have to subscribe to get the online content.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I never read newspapers. They lie and theyre full of crap I dont care about. I couldnt give a monkeys who's sleeping with who, and I detest being reminded on how shitty people can be to each other too.

But I read a hell of a lot, and usually have at least two books on the go. But I'd say I game more than I read. I'd even go to say I game more than I watch tv too.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am just strange.
I havent read a book in 35 years
I havent bought a newspaper this centuary and last time I read a newspaper or magazine (that someone else bought) was when I used to have a dinner break in the bus depot about 3 years ago.
I rarely watch TV, usually about an hour a week. This week I've watched more than Iusual, having squeazed in a bit of Britain hasn't got talent and an episode of Grand designs. Top Gear is usually the only thing I switch the TV on for.
I spend about 9 hours a day in my Man Cave , which consists of approx
3 hours sleeping and listening to Music
1 hours internet browsing
1 or 2 hour of Playing on my PS3
2 or 3 hours Playing on my PC
I do about an hours housework or fixing stuff that breaks, cleaning out long forgotten pets, fish tanks and ponds
I spend 20 mins with the missus when she comes home from work, and about 3 mins saying hello to the kids.
If the weather is nice I take the dog around the park and potter around in the garden.
On a Sunday I might get out a bit and occasionally go out for a meal or down to the beach (see avatar).
Jeez I'm a boring old fart

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You think your a boring old fart,
Mondays - get up, go Tesco to do monster-in-laws shopping, drive 25 miles to deliver it, sit around for a couple of hours while girlfriend does in-laws housework, go home and put ps3 on for an hour or 2 until girlfriend has cooked tea, then ps3 for rest of night until midnight-ish
Fridays - same as Mondays without the shopping.
Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun - mope around the house bored all morning until after girlfriend has made lunch (2ish) then ps3 rest of the day.

Watch Very little TV (Top Gear and GP`s ) cant be bothered to read anymore.
And no I don't do sod all around the house cause the girlfriend wont let me.:2thumbsup: