The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 ARE YOU KIDDING ME! :-@

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Jkrohn1, 9 Dec 2012.

1. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Been out all day and watched a Blu ray with my son earlier. My partner went to bed so I thought ok ill jump on my ps3 for an hour. Well it loads up but my theme is missing, I think that's strange ill put it back on, so I go to the theme select menu and there's no themes there? So anyway thought wtf went to the games menu and the folder full of games is missing and I started to panic. Check saves and game data and it's all gone. :cry:

Now I turned it on, went and boiled the kettle came back and clicked my user ID 10 seconds later. I looked on Internet and to format you have to select it from the menu and it takes some time? My partner and me have both been out all day and the ps3 hasn't been touched so I'm confused as to how or when it was formatted? It's a phat and I always turn the main power switch off on the back so it's been fully off all day until I turned it on about 20 mins ago. How can it format while being totally turned off? I'm gobsmacked and a little pissed off. It's not like the hundreds of hours I've accumulated while playing can be saved. I blame myself for this but as a ps+ user I have never saved my saves to the cloud and God I'm kicking myself now.

Anyway rant over I'm going to put my ps3 on ebay and stop playing games (probably change my mind in the morning)

2. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    That sucks bigtime matey. I've been thinking what this could cause. But unless your house got struck by lightning I can't think of any reason. I'm gonna back up my saves as soon as I turn on my phatty.

See you online soon mate (you know you want to ;))

3. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    What a ****ing nightmare!

But a lesson to us all too, back up your data!! (and your PC too)

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Turns our my son kept pressing the power button when I jumped in the shower(his way of saying he wants a Blu ray on) and when my partner turned it on she kept pressing X (i told her to do this to get to the menu, she isn't tech savy) and inadvertently formatted my PS3 I just woke up and she said "your PlayStation did something funny yesterday morning, is it ok it said don't turn off". Well she's still knocked out so I'm tea bagging the crap out of her :lol: accidents happen and lesson learnt now to auto save all my saves from now on :D

I hope my coop progress in BF3 is saved server side, lots of updates to do and my PS3 has been on for 8 hours downloading games and DLC, lots to do tonight. Had almost finished Far Cry 3 well 54% but played it for a week lol

Think I'll sell my old games now as the saves are gone and that's all that was keeping me wanting to play them. I'm gutted I have lost my GT5 save had almost finished A-Spec and B-Spec plus my car collection was nearing the 1000 mark

5. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Sorry to hear this JK, but at least mystery solved I suppose. Dont despair. When my fatty PS3 went to that great out-of-warranty place in the sky, I lost some awesome game saves and thought the same. Thing is, its surprising how quickly you can get yourself almost back to the same position if you bear with it.

What a bastard though!!!! :roll: :(

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    That's pretty shit mate.

I'm actually really glad that my wife has a bit of a clue with this sort of thing.

I did catch my daughter trying to insert a debit card into the PS3's disc slot the other day though...that's kinda worrying since it gets too hot to put inside the TV cabinet without melting it's own casing.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Can someone explain the cloud save thing, does it save/upload all the saves at the time you have specified for it to auto update? Just I actually totally turn off my ps3 to stop my son ejecting and powering on and off all day (he really likes buttons)

To be honest the likes of dirt 3 and Bulletstorm aren't worth selling and might keep me entertained when my internet goes down.

Only thing I'm gutted about ate my Far Cry 3 and GT5 saves. Will just have to start from scratch. Did clear the games I had on the hdd I haven't played for ages but thought about deleting. Some games I started and put on the back burner I have forgotten the story lol

8. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Sorry to hear about this and that you've never used the cloud save you get from PS Plus to backup your game saves. :o

Yes, it does the save/upload and auto-update checks at the same time. You specify a time that you want this to happen (probably best if it's in the middle of the night or very early morning). At that time the PS3 will turn itself on, perform the backups and download any patches.

You'll have to go through game saves and for each one switch on the auto-update feature (it's in the triangle menu for games on the XMB). For any new game you start playing (which in your case will effectively be all of them) then the first time you play you'll have the option to enable cloud saves.

You'll also need to set your PS User to log in automatically when you switch on the PS3 (which you may do already) for cloud saves and auto update to work.

With 1Gb of cloud save space there really is no reason not to use the service these days.

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    1/ PS+ only
    2/ You're given the option at the start of every game to upload automatically to the cloud
    3/ You'll have to select all the old game saves you want copied to the cloud manually, then they will remain in the cloud
    4/ To update automatically, the PS3 has to be left in standby and the maintenance schedule turned on

So to recap, you choose which gamesaves you want in the cloud. To be honest, backing up to a connected PSP's memory stick is still just as good. As a fellow Vita owner, Im pretty sure you can also backup your PS3 game saves to your Vita too (& vice versa). ;)

10. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Mystery solved at least. Now start using the PS+ cloud! I never use the auto save feature as I don't like leaving things in standby and my boyfriend always unplugs everything anyway. I just manually upload them to the cloud after I play a game. You get into the habit after a bit. You have to auto sign into your profile if you have more than 1, then auto sign online (which I don't like doing either) and switch auto updates on in the settings. So if you don't trust your son with buttons might be worth just getting into the habit of doing it manually.

Bulletstorm is rubbish and was free on PS+ a couple of months ago. If you had plus then it'll be in you're download list so I'd just flog that if I was you lol.

I'd have thought the BF3 co-op progress will be saved on their servers so that's one good thing at least.

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I didnt leave my PS3 on standby either. I used to put it on if I was in the house and it was near its time (I set it for 10am everyday), and I remembered of course!!!

Even if you dont leave it on in standby, when you plug your PS3 in after say a few days it automatically turns on and syncs trophies, looks for patches and uploads your gamesaves. Handy and annoying. Handy because you can just plug your PS3 every few days and let it do its thing, annoying because if you forget when you come to play the bloody thing it may turn on automatically and do all this bollocks first. You can cancel it all off obviously, but after the nth time you will get pissed off with it.

12. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Yeah I should just sell it i think, might just turn my ps3 on at 7pm everyday and let it do the updates and uploads before I jump on. I'm thinking more about the trophies as I only need to finish the sniper mission on hard and without being seen or compromised.

13. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Bulletstorm co-op is a hoot. I still have it for whenever anyone feels like putting "das boot" in some poor grunts a-hole ;)

14. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    It's only going for £3 might as well keep it and wall spike some freak bobs with you :D

15. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Gutted for you mate, and completely empathise. On my third ps3 myself.

As already mentioned on here, i update my saves manually. That auto stuff takes away my freedom of choice ;) . Without thinking i now go into my own auto pilot mode after playing a game and do it.

16. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I would forget to auto upload me lol last few days I have turned it on and it's done the upload in a few seconds

17. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    I'm surprised my first phatty is still working after over 4 years of service (knock on wood). Sometimes purring like a F16 fighter jet, but hey. Gonna back up my saves this week as JK's story got me thinking. Last time was 2 years ago I believe.

18. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Yeah my last time was 13/3/2011 and I only have 3 and 2 are games I don't and won't play again :D

19. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Tried to install all my current games but my hdd is supposedly full. I have 8gb of 232gb free. After a data count I'm currently using 65gb so I'm missing 159gb. Looks like another format is needed. Need to find my portable hdd and do a system backup first. My ps3 has pissed me off the past few weeks and I'm starting to think about going back to my eggbox. There seems to be too much hassle with the PS3, making my portable hdd fat32 means I have to format it and it's currently full of needed data. Why can't you backup onto NTFS :(

20. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Blimey mate, not having a good time of it are you.

After all that faffing about too.

The way things have been this generation I suspect this will be my last Sony console....I'm fairly interested in the rumours of a console from Valve that will no doubt use the Steam system....cheap games and a massive back catalogue? yes please.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice