The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Multi Aftermath thoughts

Discussion in 'Battlefield' started by Slaine, 28 Nov 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Didnt finish downloading until 09:30ish last night, so this morning was my first go. Played a couple of games of Scavenger, which was pretty good. Going to take a while to get used to these new maps, as there seems to be a million and one entry points everywhere. And god am I out of practice!!! :oops:

Im not as blown away as I was by Close Quarters and Armoured Kills, but its still good. Gets a 7/10 from me. :thumbup:

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I've not had a chance to play this yet as it was taking forever to download but that's not a good sign since I thought both of those DLC packs were a complete let down.

3. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Its like Conquest Assault mixed with Gunmaster. Cant see this winning you over Col to be honest. I like it, it is good fast fun, but it felt more like a couple of extra maps rather than the full expansion packs previously on offer. A bit more Scavenger and getting back up to speed a bit more and I'm sure it'll grow on me.

4. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Actually I'd far prefer a couple more maps that can actually be used with the rest of the maps rather than the mini-games that the other packs seemed to be that don't work with the stock game.

Sounds like this DLC might not be the complete waste of money the last two were after all.

5. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Well I disagree with Slaine, from what I've seen so far I think the Aftermath DLC is better than both Close Quarters and Armored Kill.

Close Quarters, although enjoyable, is based on small maps and is very frantic action, something I don't think I'd want to play night in night out. On top of that it is only 16 players meaning you can't add it into the standard rotation without having a lower player count over all.

Armored Kill on the other hand I didn't really enjoy as the maps were just too big, even for 24 players. Clearly these were designed for the 64 player PC version of the game. On top of that I didn't think much of Tank Superiority.

Aftermath maps look to be just right size-wise - I was immediately thinking last night that they could easily fit in with the standard rotation. I thought they looked rather good, lots of detail in the maps and the destroyed buildings. What I really liked was the multiple routes to everywhere. Some are clear passages and stairs, others are closed doors with canisters next to them that can be blown open; there are also windows that can be broken with routes through shops to other areas.

The modes we played last night were Conquest, Scavenger and Rush and all seemed to work well on the new maps. I rather like the new scavenger mode, which is a twist on Conquest Domination. You start with just a handgun and grenades and dotted around the map are weapons. Each weapon has a rank hovering above it (from 1 stripe to 3 stripes), the higher the stripe count the better the weapon. Pick up the weapon and use it. If you run out of ammo there are ammo crates dotted around the place, or pick up another weapon. If you die, you respawn back with the basic pistol and grenades. In Scavenger it's irrelevant what class you play as none of your class capabilities are available.

I've checked the game modes and you can play most of them on the new Aftermath maps, including Gun Master. Sadly you can't play Scavenger on any other maps

All-in-all apart from me playing appallingly last night I really enjoyed the new maps and mode and look forward to playing it again. :thumbup:

6. DrewePeacock

DrewePeacock May contain sarcasm
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    DrewePeacock
    We played a few rounds on the new DLC last night, and I think they work really well. We had Conquest, Scavenger, Rush & Conquest Assault spread over all of the new maps. I really enjoyed it, even though my team were getting hammered most of the night. :)

I'll be on again later though, so catch you later if you fancy it.

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Sorry, not allowed

;)

8. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Get your sorry ass onto BF3 when we're on (which is Thursdays and we'll likely be on tonight too) and you'll then see how much fun the game is with us wonderful people playing alongside you. :D

9. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    For those who haven't played it yet, here's a taster:

10. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I forgot to download it last night. I'll stick it on to download this evening whilst I'm in the gym and then hopefully by the time I get home I'll be good to go. If I see anyone online playing BF3 I'll jump on in. I haven't played BF3 for ages.

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Cant make tonight, but I'll be there on Thursday night.

Just played some more, and on Conquest. Not too shabby actually, and Ive found the secret reptile (trophy) too, :woot:

12. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Thursday night and I'll be on BF3

13. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well that was interesting, and by that I mean laggy.

I don't understand what it is about our server that attracts laggy rank 100 generals.

Anyway the lag aside the maps looked really intricate from the brief glimpse I got and the scavenger game mode looks to be nice and fast paced, but with a little bit of strategy added. Think i'd rather stick to Conquest and Rush if i'm honest but so far so good.

If only there was a way to stop laggy people connecting to our server that'd be awesome.

14. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    i,ve deleted snr server from my favorites, so thats a start in de- lagging it.

15. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    :rofl:

May be you should unplug your router too. You really are slowing the whole internet down. :lol: ;)

16. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    had 3 openreach engineers round in last 3 weeks. no lag since last one so theres a chance it may be cured. supose i,ll find out tonight on bf 3. anyone on early?

17. DrewePeacock

DrewePeacock May contain sarcasm
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    DrewePeacock
    I might be on early. Depends on when wifey is working.

18. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I've published my thoughts on Aftermath on the front page blog but to take some information from it for ease here's a bit of info on the kiss-bow.

The kiss-bow doesn't work as I'd presumed with regards it's ammo type and selection. It doesn't work like the GL requiring ammo selection before spawn as it's ammo type can be changed on the fly by using the firerate selector. Ammo type can only be changed once you've unlocked another type obviously.

Damage for the explosive round is somewhat subdued and on par with that of a GL. Current estimates are as follows :-
    • helicopter 90%
      transport chopper 60%
      boat 60%
      jeep 40%
      tank 30% (rear)/10% (front)
      LAV 25%

19. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Strangely this game mode reminds me of Unreal Tournament Death match ha ha god I loved that game HEADSHOT, MULTIKILL, MONSTER KILL and UNSTOPPABLE. :)

20. kencanvey

kencanvey Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    kencanvey
    I like big maps and I cannot lie ..... the aftermath maps are good and well created but I also liked the Armored Kill maps with tank superiority being a nice change. Close quarters is ok if I feel in a mood for COD type play.

One thing I have noticed having not played bf3 for a while is that the feel of play seems to have changed from using team work and strategy to just spawning and killing/dieing shame really but then it may be just the new types of game modes which are a bit faster.

Still not really bad in anyway and worth the money of going premium :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice