Active members

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Active members are what makes a community and for some time I've wanted to give a bit extra to those who regularly participate in the forums. I've now been able to do this today. :)

I've implemented a system which works automatically and will give extras to our active members. There are two types of active members - our 'standard' members and our Seniors (full members).

Active 'standard' members, when compared to other 'standard' members, get some extras including:
  • A longer time to edit posts and conversations
  • Edit their own profile posts
  • Add media to the Gallery

Active Seniors, when compared to other Seniors, get some extras including:
  • Ability to add a custom title (see here for details: Custom titles)
  • Make several posts without having to wait a short time between these
  • A longer time to edit posts and conversations
  • Larger upload size for avatars
  • More conversation recipients
  • A longer editing time for media added to the Gallery
  • Increased storage space in the Gallery
  • Create, add and edit User Albums
  • Feature their own threads

Note: All Seniors have the same permissions and more besides than our active 'standard' members do, irrelevant of how active or not they are. There will always be a benefit to being a full member. :)

Note: The extras listed aren't everything and they may be tweaked and changed over time, especially when new features are added to the forums

So, what is an active member? Well, that would be telling! ;) All I will say is that it is based on making a certain number of posts over a period of time. This is different for 'standard' members and for Seniors too. I'll also say that it's nothing too high and virtually everyone who is a regular contributor on these forums will be classed as active and will receive the extras for this. :)

Those who meet the criteria will automatically be given the extras appropriate to being an active 'standard' member or active Senior. If they don't meet the criteria, they won't get the extras but when you do meet them then you will.

Note that as this was implemented this morning, it will only kick in once you have visited the forums after this and it may take up to an hour to do so.

Last edited:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was wondering how you'd suddenly become a klingon on a bike. I think we should come up with suggestions on what each others custom titles should be for a laugh.
@Acegadgets "I really want a PS4"
@ColSonders "Stabby Barsteward"
@Jkrohn1 "Backlog Queen"
@DrewePeacock "That's what she said"
@mick "Grumpy Grandad"
@Bogus4Real "the one that lets you die"
@Spruijt "the green one with twins"

For those that I can't think of anything for. Count your blessings.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was wondering how you'd suddenly become a klingon on a bike. I think we should come up with suggestions on what each others custom titles should be for a laugh.

@mick "Grumpy Grandad"

For those that I can't think of anything for. Count your blessings.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm not sure I want a custom title thanks ;)
You mean your not sure if its SAFE for you to have one.......
We could always offer possible titles for you. We're nice like that :1thumbup:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah kind of silly bringing these old posts back from the brink but reading them all anyway so a simple click from most people will mean they are gone. Down to 4 pages now just went through and cleared the old Events :D

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Following some discussions with Seniors, I've made some adjustments to the active members promotion system.

There are now 4 levels of activity:
Level 0 - The standard level of features that everyone who registers has
Level 1 - a few extras
Level 2 - some more extras
Level 3 - even more extras

Standard members can be Level 0 or Level 1 based on activity
Seniors can be Level 0 - Level 3 based on activity

Seniors, being our full members, will also sport the Senior Citizens banner below their avatar in posts, have their name in red on the forums and have access to the Community Section.

This is what you get as extras through being active on the forums i.e. are Level 1, Level 2 or Level 3.

active_permissions.png

As I said before, I'm not telling exactly what you need to do to achieve these levels. ;) All I will say is that each level is based on making a certain number of posts over a period of time and all of them are very achievable. :)

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks cool!

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Bronze, Silver and Gold Emblems (Banner Below User Name <----)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've now implemented a way to show what level you are. You can see this below your avatar.

I've taken @Jkrohn1's idea of trophy colours and used that instead of the levels I was using before. So this is what we now have compared to the old levels mentioned in my previous post.

Bronze (Level 0)
Silver (Level 1)
Gold (Level 2)
Platinum (Level 3)

I'll get around to putting up a proper page at the top of the forums at some point so that everyone can easily see what they get with each level of activity.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
You used one of my ideas :\ you feeling ok :D

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've now created a "benefits" page which details the extras that various levels of active members get. You can see this at any time by hovering over the About Us tab at the top of the forums and then clicking on Benefits. It is also here:

http://www.seniorgamers.net/pages/benefits/

I've updated what the benefits are - it's pretty much the same as it was before though I've clarified some of the things that everyone gets (i.e. what Bronze level has).

One additional change I have made is regarding adverts on the forums. Previously these were only visible to guests. They are now visible to Bronze level members too. For most of you this won't make any difference to you, you'll still not see any adverts. Only those who post very little or nothing and visit the forums will see the adverts.