1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Acegadgets The Autobiography

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Acegadgets, 29 Jun 2012.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    About Me.
    I will probably be the oldest person that you will ever play online with. Born in Greater Manchester in the late nineteen fifties, my mother emigrated to Geordieland when I was seven and I have lived there ever since. Life has been a bit of a roller coaster for me. I started my own business as a market trader when I was 18 and did pretty well. I got married, opened 3 shops and had 3 kids. The early nineties saw my business move from selling small electrical items into those new fangled computer game consoles. I had accounts with Sega, Nintendo, Atari and Codemasters selling games and consoles across Tyneside, not only in my own shops but to others in the area. Life was good but all good things come to an end as every major national retailer jumped into the computer games market and a recession loomed my business failed. I decided to have another go and got into selling all kinds of gadgets, problem with gadgets though is that people wanted to just come in and play with your stuff and didn’t buy that much so my gadget shop diversified and sold pretty much everything. I started selling online pretty much as soon as you could sell online, and about 10 years ago decided that it wasn’t worth having a high street store so moved my business off the high street and simply sold on the internet. We had a few good years, but once again everyone started selling online and it’s pretty hard to find something that bigger retailers don’t sell cheaper than you. So we scaled the business down and my wife now runs acegadgets.co.uk.
    I went out and got a proper job, my first in 32 years. I fancied a change and decided to become a bus driver. I did that for a couple of years, but all the winging old biddies, drunks, obnoxious kids along with timetables that couldn’t be kept to eventually got to me. Last November I lost my job as a bus driver. The following week I started working as a self employed driver at City Link. Didn’t like that much so found a new job a couple of months back as a driver for a fruit and veg wholesaler. Wages are rubbish, hours are awful, I’m up at 3 am, bed at 9 pm but I actually like it.
    Problem is it plays havoc with my gaming time. I used to happily play till midnight, now its 6 pm till 9 Pm.
    So I’m looking for some other oldies out there that also play in the early evenings.
    Game wise what am I into?
    I’m more of a battlefield player than COD. I like the larger maps, more time to have fun before I get shot. COD is pretty much die, respawn die again, and repeat a dozen times with a suicide in the middle followed by a fluke kill 1/14 kill to death ratios are not my idea of fun. I think that there’s too much emphasis on K/D ratios in games. Kids seem to think that, this is why you play games. I also like flight sim games, have been known to play Tiger Woods golf, will probably get an Olympic game and I am quite into Starhawk (this week)
    Racing games are probably my favorite games though. I’ve enjoyed Grand Turisimo, Need for Speeds and F1 games but find that the more serious racers enjoy long races in the fastest cars. Not really for me, mate, shame there isn’t a game out there racing a 7.5 tonne van around a track a few times with the last man standing winning the race. Actually there almost is and it’s called Dirt Showdown. A great fun racing game that more of you should buy.
    Games have come a long way in relatively short time. My first computer was a Spectrum back in 1982. Chuckie egg and Manic miner spring to mind, they were great then, but I couldn’t play them now. Not into retro gaming either, I do have a counter shop NES display model sitting next to my PS3 but its more for show. I want new and shiny and buy way too many games only to sell them after a few weeks. Pretty much looking forward to the next far cry, Bioshock infinite, the armored update to Battlefield 3 and Dirt 4.
    So if you want to befriend me, consider this first. Do you really want to play with someone old enough to be your dad? Do you really want to be on the same team as someone who will hit the barn door instead of the man in front of it? Do you really want to wait at the end of a race for a couple of minutes so I can try to cross the finishing line and most importantly do you have a Geordie/English auto translator built into your gaming headset?

2. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    Hey mate, long time no see.

3. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Ah, The Newson has arrived :rofl: NICE Sig :lol: :rofl:

4. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden

I'm only an Ally though, it's best to be green ;)

5. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Welcome to Senior Gamers, Ace.

Nice intro, shame you couldn't make it to 1000 words. ;)

You're already fully membered-up (fnarr!) so no magical changes in what you can see - you can see it all already. :D

It's great to have another Starhawker on board. It's a rather good game but seems to have been overlooked in this world where Battlefield and CoD dominate. Hopefully we can find some more Starhawk players wandering in the wilderness and bring them into our fold. :)

BTW you aren't old enough to be my dad as I'm 45. I have recently played with a gamer who was in his 60s so you're definitely not the oldest. However we'll make sure you've got plenty of safety handrails around here to hold on to. ;)

See you online soon, [SNR] Acegadgets. :thumbup:

6. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    HI Ace.

It's great to see that you've finally found a new home :thumbup:

Hope your stay is a good one and that the nurses treat you with care ;)

7. Wilks

Wilks Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Wilks
    That was some intro Ace. :clap:

Nice to see you back posting on a gaming forum mate.

See you online soon.

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi Ace, good to hear from you again

9. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    It was actually 1000 words but most of them would have been deleted by your good self, so I trimmed it down a bit. Thankyou for making me a full member so soon. I would have thought that I would be the last person that you would want in your new community. I dont half rant on...
    Nice to see so many old friends popping in here already. Hope to get my battlefield uniform on and het stuck in again as that seems to be the game that is most popular still with my friend online friends.
    Perhaps I can presude some of them to think beyond the battlefield and get into a Starhawk or find a cheap copy of showdown.

10. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
  11. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    £24 eighty someting is an absolute snip, you should all go out and buy it now Its brilliant!
    Apparently the Welsh online gamers voted it the game of the year, more info if you are unfamiliar is at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt:_Showdown
    I'll do a review type thingy over the next few days

12. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    ????? Who the hell are you.? You sound a bit foreign are you a Russian or something?

13. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    You'd have had to be 10 to be my dad. :D

Very impressive history there Ace and great to know where your heart lies as we start on this new journey for us all. I for one am rather pleased that you felt fit to join us. It's a shame we've been unable to co-ordinate our gaming schedules recently what with you beeing busy with work and as you can see we've been ensuring the devil never got our idle hands.

Abs

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Ace, it's good to see you and I hope you are able to fit in here and the politics are well and truly avoided.

I feel it was quite a shame that we basically stopped gaming together and that was largely my fault and largely due to the position I had been put into by my predecessors in OAP and i'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for that.

I probably swore about you a lot at one point and I hope you can put it behind you as I would like to start a fresh and forget about that whole episode and you know what? Just play some god damn games together.

15. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    I love this place already. I feel like singing. "Where everybody knows your name, lalalala. And everybody is glad you came, lalalala."

16. ZXstampie

ZXstampie Semi-Regular Gamer

PSN:
    ZXstampie
    Hey Aceman, as has already been said I am too glad that you have found a new place to be who you want to be....

....even if it does involve wigs!!! ;)

17. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Let bygones be bygones matey. I have great respect for the the way the episode was handled by you and hope that we can put that behind us and have some fun gaming together . I'll just have to make sure that i'm always on your side though as you used to totally anihalate me when you were on the opposing team.

18. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Yes I'm still into wigs, and also have a growing collection of flags . The reason for this will become apparent over the next few months.

19. ZXstampie

ZXstampie Semi-Regular Gamer

PSN:
    ZXstampie
    Respect to you both :bow:

I thought we could have had a massive debate about this :shifty:

20. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    We won't be having any mass debating over here! Ooer, nurse! :lol: