PS3 A really useful guide to GTA Online

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
For those who haven't got around to playing GTA online yet or are wanting a few hints and tips, here's a few to get you on your way.

Getting Online
Los Santos is a fairly dangerous place, when you go online for the first time, look out , the locals will pretty much kill anything that moves.
So to start with try joining a room with friends or crew members. If they are in rooms that are full you will automatically be put in a random room full of random players most of whom are unfriendly. First thing to do is to set yourself to passive mode, hold Select bottom and enable passive mode, it will give you some protection. Passive mode means that other players cant shoot you, you cant shoot them either, and you are not invinsible. You can still be shot if you are in a car and can be run over.While on that menu turn vehicle access to "friends" so that randoms cant steal your ride.
Now try selecting start button >"friends" from your menu and see if you can join friends (if there are any online) or crew members from here. Often you will have better luck getting into a room if you select the friend online to join, you can also spectate them if they are on a job and join in the next event. If they are still not available start trying to get some money together by stealing cars and doing jobs.
Making Money
Firstly you need some decent wheels to get about in. You can only keep some of the lower priced cars. The best idea is probably to use the Anis Elergy R8 which you get automatically by signing up for the Rockstar social club online. Its probably the best Sports car, should get you around Los Santos pretty quickly and you should be able to win a few races, or atleast not come last if you can do up one of these to use in customised sports car races. (more on customised cars later)
Each day in GTA world which equates to around 50 mins in real time, you are allowed to sell one stolen car . So have a look around and try to find a Galivanter Baller (range rover ). They sell for £9k while others will not fetch as much. Each hour take a break from whatever you are doing and grab another" baller", for another 9k.
Rockstar have tweaked the amounts you can earn from jobs quite a bit. Now you pretty much get more money for the amount of time it takes to complete a job. So go ahead and try accepting some of the invites, especially if they come from your friends.The invites you get from the ingame characters will require more than one to play and dont always pay that well. Try selecting start> online>jobs >join jobs >random, and see where you are taken.
You will get a lot of invites to events as the game progresses. You are probably best to stick to Rockstar created events, as user made maps are usually always won by the creator or their friends.
Before you know it you'll have enough cash for your own apartment.
Your apartment.
Basically there are 3 types of apartments. Your basic one with a two car garage, one with a 6 car garage, or your posh pad with a 10 car garage. Prices vary depending on the location. An apartment should be your first major purchase as its good to have a safe house to spawn in.
Once you have your apartment press start > online> settings> spawn location and select "property" so that you always spawn in your apartment. You often find that after you leave a job, the people that you have been playing with will spawn near you and kill you just for the hell of it. You also lose a small amount of money if you are robbed, so regullary select the bank option from your mobile and bank your money.
The three apartment types are cosmetically the same inside. The best locations are close to the city centre. You are best to wait until you have $150k and select one of the 6 car garages near the marina. You would soon outgrow a two car garage, and when you move up, you dont get your cash back. Bay City Avenue is a nice place to live to start with. You cane then fill up your garage and when its full move up to a 10 car garage. $233k will get you apt 57 Alta street, very handy in the city centre. Its next to the mors mutual insuance depot, where your cars respawn after your neighbours have destroyed them. Paying $400k, gets you the same apartment but in a different location.
CARS
Its rare to be able to keep a decent stolen car. Most of the cars that you want will have to be bought.
When you do decide replace them, you do not get your maney back . So its best to buy one of the best cars in each category and fully modify them . There is little point in having more than one car in each catergory.
Most cars that you buy will be bought to customise and use in races, so you want a fast car than handles well. As soon as you have spare money upgrade your car.
Motorbikes
This should be your first purchase as there are a lot of bike races to compete in abnd bikes are pretty cheap. You may see the odd one on the streets but for around $10k , just go and buy one.
You may think that the Sanchez offroad bike is the best all rounder. i would beg to differ. The Akuma at $9k is the fastest vehicle in the game and its very good offroad as well, so go grab one and start doing it up, you'll be winning bike races before you know it.
Offroad cars
There are a few free buggys available, but they are not in the same league as the monster wheeled Beetle or of FF injection as its known in the game. Most of the pick up trucks look interesting but are too slow to be competative.
Sports cars
You have your free Elergy, why waste your money on anything else?
Compacts
Although I dont currently own on, the mini or Wheeny Issi as its known is the most popular car in this category. Why dont I own one? Because there arent that many compact car races created. You should see these a lot in the game, if you have the garage space it might be worth stealing one and spending a few dollars on it.
Muscle cars.
Two to choose from, the Dominator or Gauntlet, once again you will see these on the streets, they arent brilliant in their initial state, but after a few dollars spent on them, theny can be a lot of fun. Others in this group of cars will never amount to much no matter how much you spend on them.
Coupe's
If you feel the need to buy a coupe, and I do. The splash out on an Exemplar. In the right hands its unbeatable, it's $205k but not only is it the fastest in the group its one of the prettiest cars in the game.
Sedans.
Not used very much in races, I have a Super Diamond (Bently) but i'm rich and posh, and you don't need one.
SUV's
remember those Ballers that you keep stealing? Keep one and do it up , its the best SUV that there is.
Sports Classics.
If you have money to burn, then get a sports classic, You will rarely race them but will pose well in one. The James Bond car JB700 unfortunetly dosent fire rockets and is $350k. If you do want a fast one that isn't too bad to control and will win any sports classic races that you may come accross then go for either the Monroe @$490k or if you have won the lottery get yourself a "Z type" for a mere $950k.
Super Cars,( bought from legendary motor sports)
The most popular races use these cars, problem is they are expensive, so stick to using the free cars until you have the money needed to buy what everyone buys, The Entity XF ($795k). It handles the best and is almost the fastest car in the game. That's why I don't use one, I like to be different and like a challenge, so I use a Cheetah ($650k) The only other notable contender is the Adder ($1 million) which apparently is a bit faster but is hard to handle.

I will be editing this with tips on weapons, strategy's etc at a later date. If you want any advise, or have anything to add, post away.!

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Acegadgets. I thought I would clarify there are two versions of Ballers. I use the headlight configuration to tell them apart, the one with a single row on each side is the "sport" version. Furthermore for anyone looking for a good database of all the vehicles in GTA V (with pics and performance data you can compare) take a look at the Rockstar Games Social Club website, GTA V online, Vehicles section.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If there's anything that you aren't to sure about. rudd,
let me know and i will update thus thread.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If there's anything that you aren't to sure about. rudd,
let me know and i will update thus thread.
I am a little sketchy on the best way to go into a public online session when there are no friends or crew members playing online?
I don't want to jump into a public session and find myself in the middle of a hardcore death-match.:shock:

I think it would be best if I go into a solo session and from the pause menu choose a job and NOT be the host will put me in with other players.
Are race jobs the safest way to get started? Looking for the opportunity to meet some other folks who may want to pair up to do some missions and other activity's. I am to a point now where the missions are getting too difficult to complete solo or not worth multiple try's as the payout for time invested is poor.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You can start a "Closed Crew" or "Closed Friend" session from single player Pause menu, then invite/jump in with other players accordingly. I may be very hungover/still drunk but online on GTA in about 48 hours time - holler at me! ;)

Ps GTA Online not online for 24 hours maintenance from later today.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think you have the right idea rudd. Join random races an try parachute jumping. Team deathmatches aren't generally too serious in gta though.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You can start a "Closed Crew" or "Closed Friend" session from single player Pause menu, then invite/jump in with other players accordingly. I may be very hungover/still drunk but online on GTA in about 48 hours time - holler at me! ;)

Ps GTA Online not online for 24 hours maintenance from later today.
FYI...GTA V online server maintenance complete and is now available.
I will keep a look out, I think when online at the same time I have the ability to call you from my in game mobile phone?

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
calling each in game is a good feature, but in missions it doesn't work

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I brought a helicopter, airplane and a boat with the millions that I got gifted. I can honestly say that I think I have use my helicopter once, and not bothered with the airplane or boat at all. You can actually get a free helicopter or airplane from any airfield/airport, all depending what level you are, depends what spawns.
So in my opinion it's not worth buying an airplane or boat.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
When you get to a certain level you can call in a Pegasus chopper to give you a lift, Just kill the pilot and swipe the chopper.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Agree , not worth buying. I also have them all, but you have to go to the airfields to pick them up. If you need a helicopter, phone Pegasus for a pick up. When the helicopter arrives, shoot the pilot and you then have your heli delivered to your location.
i have a tank, which is fun in free mode.if you have spare money, its a good thing to waste your money on.
On a side note, i have just about finished black flag, so will be getting back to GTA a bit more in the near future.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks to all for their feedback.
Because of the reasons everyone pointed out I did not see a major benefit, but thought I would ask. My opinion would probably change if you could buy house with the facilities for keeping "big toys" & a garage for vehicles.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would appreciate any feedback I could get on which off road vehicle (to purchase for the intent of fully modifying it) for racing off-road (non motorcycle). I have my own opinions about this class in stock form but I am not sure how much the modifications will change/ improve the characteristics of handling vs speed and if the gain is the same for all vehicles? (i.e. a level 1 engine upgrade will have > increase on a faster car)

I feel the Bifta is the fastest but the short wheel base makes this a handful and easy to spin-out.
I think the Dune Buggy is the easiest to drive and can pretty much handle anything you throw at it but it is slow.
That leaves the Injection, not as fast as Bifta but handles better. It is faster than the dune buggy and is only a tad less competent than the dune buggy in its handling.

I guess my questions boil down to how they perform once fully modified.
Bifta- Does its handling improve, get worse or stay the same in relation to speed.
Dune Buggy- How much slower is it than the others once all speed upgrades are complete?
Injection- Does its short wheel base become a bigger issue once upgraded or has the improved suspension maintained the original characteristics?

If you have not given it much thought just let me know what you use and or what you have experienced as being the best off road race vehicle (fully modified).

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would appreciate any feedback I could get on which off road vehicle (to purchase for the intent of fully modifying it) for racing off-road (non motorcycle). I have my own opinions about this class in stock form but I am not sure how much the modifications will change/ improve the characteristics of handling vs speed and if the gain is the same for all vehicles? (i.e. a level 1 engine upgrade will have > increase on a faster car)

I feel the Bifta is the fastest but the short wheel base makes this a handful and easy to spin-out.
I think the Dune Buggy is the easiest to drive and can pretty much handle anything you throw at it but it is slow.
That leaves the Injection, not as fast as Bifta but handles better. It is faster than the dune buggy and is only a tad less competent than the dune buggy in its handling.

I guess my questions boil down to how they perform once fully modified.
Bifta- Does its handling improve, get worse or stay the same in relation to speed.
Dune Buggy- How much slower is it than the others once all speed upgrades are complete?
Injection- Does its short wheel base become a bigger issue once upgraded or has the improved suspension maintained the original characteristics?

If you have not given it much thought just let me know what you use and or what you have experienced as being the best off road race vehicle (fully modified).
BF Injection would be my choice I always have a blast while driving it or gettting chading and taking people all over the place.

I went on for half an hour yesterday and done a couple of jobs. I noticed the pay as increased again I got just over £16.000 for oing rooftop Rumble when i phoned martin and around £6,000 when i phoned martin and got out of court Settlement.

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have both the Bifta and BF Injection. When I got the Bifta I used it all the time in off-road races, but now I use the Injection. It's doesn't have the top end like the Bifta, but it does handle a lot better both on and off road.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
BF Injection would be my choice I always have a blast while driving it or gettting chading and taking people all over the place.

I went on for half an hour yesterday and done a couple of jobs. I noticed the pay as increased again I got just over £16.000 for oing rooftop Rumble when i phoned martin and around £6,000 when i phoned martin and got out of court Settlement.
Thanks for your feedback on the cars and jobs. I find jobs are hit or miss in terms of getting compensated with money and RP for the time it takes to complete them. About the time I decide races, death-matches, survival, etc. are the most efficient, I do a job that is worth $10k or 800 RP. In terms of RP parachuting can give a pretty good payout, sometimes as much as 1200 RP and that was solo.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have both the Bifta and BF Injection. When I got the Bifta I used it all the time in off-road races, but now I use the Injection. It's doesn't have the top end like the Bifta, but it does handle a lot better both on and off road.
I think I will go ahead and buy the Injection, thanks for the information.