• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

A noobs guide to Warframe

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Whats the story behind Warframe?
The Solar system has some bad guys called the Grineer who pretty much rule the roost. They are genetically produced clones and come in a few varieties such as the basic rifle weilding Lancer, the Butcher who will try to hack you to pieces, the rocket launching Bombard ,Flame throwing Scorch and sniping Ballista to mention just a few

Another bunch of technicaly superior bad guys called the Corpus are also trying to muscle in on the Grineers territory with the aid of robots (MOAs),auto firing turrets and flying drones (Ospreys) that can repair the corpus crewmen.

Finally we have the infested which are basically diseased Copus and Grineer humanoids that have caught a rather nasty plague and now infest the solar system in a zombie like manor.

You are the Tenno, ancient warriors that have recently been awoken from thier cryo chambers by some Canadian chick called Lotus. The Tenno are humanoid masters of ninja like weapons , have really powerful guns and have special skills that will topple an enemy with the blink of an eyelid, (if you've spent enough money fixing up your Warframe). They wear rather natty lycra suits that protect them from the bad guys and enable them to endure the harsh enviroments that they will be trying to reclaim. They are a bit tricky to get off when you need the loo, but you cant have everything.

First steps
First choose your Warframe. You get a choice of 3 freebies. I had Excalibur on PC which is a pretty good allrounder, this time I went tor Mag, who is a female character with Magnetic powers.
You are also given three weapons to start with, A mk 1 Bratton rifle, Skana blade and a Lex pistol. All are pretty hopeless to start with but stick with them and they can be improved to a point.
The warframe and the weapons all start unranked. As you go along merrily killing the enemy, reviving your team mates and finishing the missions you will recieve affinity points or XP for your Warframe and your weapons. Even if you dont actually use that weapon it will still get some affinity. There are 30 levels for the weapons and the Warframe to go through before they are maxed out. When a weapon / warframe reaches the next level a Mod slot is unlocked, these slots can be filled with mods of the total value of the cards . It gets a bit complicated, more on modding later.

At the top left of your screen is an affinity bar. When it is full after gaining enough XP it starts to flash and you will be able to rank up.
Ranking up isn't automatic you have to complete a challenge. The first of which is to kill a certain amount of Grineer with your primary weapon, The second Rank uses your Pistol and further ranks require you to perform harder tasks. If you fail your task you have to wait 24 hrs and have another go. In the meantime you still collect affinity towards the next rank. The purpose of ranking up is basically to unlock better weapons.

Ranking up with your starter weapon can be a bit tricky, Its probably best to change your MK1 Bratton for a better rifle before you try the test. If you do manage it with your MK 1 Bratton , you are well on your way to becoming a Mega Warlord.

Now, don't just go out and buy a weapon, you could waste your precious money.
There are two kinds of in game money. Credits and Platinum.

Platinum is real money, you start with 50 when you install the game and can get another 100 by visiting the Playstation store and downloading a PS Plus starter pack. This offer may be withdrawn at some point. You also get occasional SALES, The spring (2014) sale at the time of writing this gets you 20% off the regular price. So a usual £15.39 pack of 370 platinum will cost £11.99.
Do you want to go and buy platinum on a free game? Of course not, there is an alternative, called credits a longer but more rewarding way of getting the better Parframes and weapons that you crave. Which is pretty much why most of us addicts spend so much time playing the game in the first place.
Generally speaking, each new Warframe and Weapon can either be bought with Platinum or built with blueprints and resorces.
To build a basic weapon you can visit the market and buy a blueprint with credits. This then appears in your foundry. Newt to this are a list of resources that are needed to build it. You go around picking up the resources and when you have enough of each you can start the build. 24 hours later your new weapon will be ready to pick up.

Some of the Weapon blueprints will be locked to start with, that's where completing Mastery ranks come in. You should change that MK1 Bratton though and a couple of alterntives are the Latron and the (better) Bratton.

If that Platinum is burning a hole in your pocket, don't be tempted to spend it yet. There are a couple of things that can only usually be bought with platinum. Namely new Warframe and weapon slots and Forma. (more on Forma later)
I think a lot of us bought "revives" when we first start out. You only get 4 revives per day and its easy to die a lot when you are new. My advice would be to let others revive you and if they don't just save your money and forfeit the round.

Although this is Free to Play, you are limited to having 2 Warframes and 8 Weapon slots. New slots will cost 20 Platinum, which is why I would save your money.
You can sell unwanted Warframes and weapons to free up slots, but you don't really want to spend a couple of weeks building a great warframe then sell it for peanuts just to make space for a new one. The starter weapons can be disposed of but others tat you buy, you will want to keep, so as I say, save your Platinum for a rainy day.
When you first start out you will only be able to play on the Mercury Levels. You can accept invites to play on harder levels from friends and if you complete those higher levels it will give you access to new parts of the universe. However you will find it a lot harder to survive, the further out into the solar system that you venture.
Each system has an enemy level on it, Mercury is level 1 - 3 so its should be manageable. Dont try levels that are too difficult for you, I would never do that.:roll:

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good write up Ace, I gave up on this game its far too complicated for my tiny brain to handle. Diablo 3 is bad enough and thats just a matter of is this item better than the one I have equiped? no, so sell it. :D

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
At first it seems to be a bit complicated @mick but you really just need acouple of hours in with a bunch of people who (think) they know what they are doing. Get your comms on and pop into a game with us and you'll soon get to grips with what you are doing.
I'll be putting a few more things on this thread pretty soon , hopefully other addicts will put their tips on how to get started and what everything does on here as well.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good write-up, @Acegadgets. If you could add a few images into that post it would make a great featured thread - the new version will show these as well as all text formatting. :)

@mick the basic premise is simple - visit planets, shoot stuff, collect resources and cash, level up your character and weapons. Anyone should be able to cope with that. As you do this and play with other Seniors you'll then start to learn about modding weapons, start building other weapons and stuff. Just take it a step at a time and you'll be fine.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good write up Ace, I gave up on this game its far too complicated for my tiny brain to handle. Diablo 3 is bad enough and thats just a matter of is this item better than the one I have equiped? no, so sell it. :D
If I can play and semi understand what I'm sort of doing.....ANYONE can.
@Acegadgets, @HaloJ & @Martok have all been great and explained the simple stuff in such a way that I can now survive a round. Even if my stats all read Zero sometimes.

Give it another go :hi:

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Think its more likely me just being too lazy to faff about, I couldnt be arsed with all the attachments on BF so this has no chance :D

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
ohh that was weird, had a triple post then.

Last edited: