The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Multi 3D gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware & Other Games' started by Slaine, 22 Jan 2013.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    No, Im not talking about the 3DS (which one of my daughters does own), but on the PS3 and 360. Couldnt see any threads relating to this, so I thought I'd post up my views here.

Weve moved the furniture from room to room, and my wife isnt happy becuase my 50" plasma is taking up too much space and wont go in the ideal position in the room. I agreed to downsize only on the the basis that we got a 3D tv :evil: . So I am now the proud owner of a 42" LG 3D tv.

Ive played my daughters 3DS, which I must admit is pretty good and makes you excited about even the most basic gameplay and graphics. You have to look at the screen square on, or the effect doesnt work. Theres stack loads of game videos to download that are in 3D too, which look fantastic. So the concept of 3D gaming won me over. Ive stuck a number of discs in both the PS3 and 360, all with varying results. Gears Of War 3 was by far the most disappointing 3D effect, yet James Cameron Avatar on the PS3 was just bloody fantastic and easily the best. I tried out Call Of Duty Black Ops on the PS3 and 360 (yes I am that sad to have two copies of this), and I can report that the 3D effect was absolutely brilliant too and there wasnt a bit of difference between the two systems. Its a very weird effect playing a FPS in 3D, but you get used to it quite quickly. Killzone 3 looks the dogs, as does Super Stardust HD which just explodes from your screen with all the use of the vibrant colours it uses. Pain was very meh, and not just because its a one trick pony. Only a couple of select game modes work in 3D. Im currently playing Doom BFG edition on the 360, and the 3D mode on this is pretty damn fine. In fact, unlike some of the games Ive mentioned, the 3D effect is present all the way throughout, including its menus. Assassins Creed 3 looks beautiful, and bizarrely playing Resistance 3 in 3D, especially the online, seems to improve it in the looks department too. Crysis 2 was another disappointment, with only the HUD appearing to have any 3D effect at all.

I tried out my only 2 3D films, that being Dredd and Wrath of The Titans. Dredd comes out on top here, but both effects given are just as good as what you wouldve seen in the cinema. My tv converts 2D video to 3D effect, so I tried Sky. The results are not terribly good, but when you boost up the effect and stick to the HD channels, it does work. Not as good as proper 3D, but its not too bad.

Those of you that know me know I love my gaming. All gaming. Ive tried all the latest fads that came out, most of which fizzle away due to a lack of support. I'd be very surprised if 3D gaming dies, not just because it helps Sony sell their tvs, because it really is bloody good and makes the game even more immersive. I havent listed half the games with 3D support that Ive tried today, and bizzarely enough I havent even tried Uncharted 3 or Wipeout HD yet!!! :o :shock: Another one Ive yet to try, and Im curious to see how this one will even work, is Eyepet. Ran out of time, as the wife ran out of patience with me!! :roll: :lol:

In case your wondering, the 3D tv Ive got uses passive glasses. I wasnt happy with the idea of £120 glasses sitting around the house waiting for the kids to break them, or to find out theyve run out of juice because those buggers have used them constantly. I had concerns over the flickering screen business with active shutter glasses, and to be honest I didnt see a noticeable drop in quality between the two at all.

Anyway, to recap, get a cheap copy of James Cameron Avatar the game as it is by far the best 3D effect Ive seen so far. I'll finish by saying 3D gaming gets a big :thumbup: from me. So next time theres a match on, the goggles will be going on too as well as the headset. :D

2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Glad to hear you're enjoying 3D.

Personally I'm not a fan, I think it's a fad and I won't be buying a 3D TV. I already choose to see movies at the cinema in 2D as I've found very few (Avatar is an exception) where 3D adds to the experience. In most cases the only thing it's added is to the cost of the ticket.

If TVs in the future can provide 3D without wearing glasses and programmes use the technology without it feeling like an add-on (ie sticking things out of the screen for the sake of it) then I might consider it.

The way things are going, the public haven't taken to 3D as companies have hoped and there aren't as many 3D films and games being produced as they were. Unless there's a change I can see 3D declining further and possibly dying altogether, with companies moving on to even higher definition and higher film frame rates instead.

3. ian8560

ian8560 Newbie Gamer

PSN:
    ian8560
    I agree with Martok. I have seen many things in 3D and generally after a while I stop noticing the effects. However I do believe 3D will continue and grow but I won't be buying a 3D tv anytime soon. Its kind of like surround sound, its great but could watch a film using 2 channel audio and still enjoy the movie with no difference.

4. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I agree with what Martok- said.

The 3D makes me feel a bit ill if anything.

Anyway nice to hear your thoughts on it.

5. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    I agree with Martok etc.

I can't see it lasting tbh. If I want to see the world in 3D, I go outside.

6. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I have to tell you I haven't seen anything in 3D other then a display model 3ds and them green and Red pictures from years back :D

I think it's like the Wii, Wii-U, PS Move Nd Kinect something to be different but like most thing people won't want it soon.

7. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I played Wipeout in 3D at a friends house. Made me want to vomit. He also put GT5 on in 3D. That wasn't quite as bad but I wasn't keen. I think 3D is something akin to Marmite, you either love it or you hate it. I love marmite, but I hate 3D! :lol:

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Peasants!!! ;) :lol:

Martok, I hope your wrong about 3D's impending doom, because it'd be a damn shame. It really does bring an added dimension to gaming (excuse the pun). Unnecessary, yes. But it really does draw you in whilst playing.

All I'd say is, next time you upgrade your telly have a think on 3D. The prices have come right down. In fact theyre damn right comparable to 2D tvs in price now. Bottom line is you can always use it as a standard 2D tv should you so wish, so why not take the plunge. As Ive hopefully illustrated above; not all 3D experiences are of the same quality, which took me back some what. Killzone and BLOPs really have to be seen to be believed.

9. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    When I buy a TV I would get one that had 3D but that would only be because it happens to have it. The primary things I'm after in a TV are full HD or higher, fast refresh rate and internet connectivity. As I said, I'd be more interested in 3D TV that doesn't require glasses and 3D TV programmes that don't require a subscription (I won't pay for Sky or Virgin).

10. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    I too am with Martok. Won't wear glasses to watch tv and would rather chew my own testicles than line Murdoch's pockets.

11. ChrissPeacock

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
  12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    [​IMG]

Sure hes a little crazy, but hes the best pilot the A Team have ever had.

LouPeacock likes this.
  13. ChrissPeacock

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice