The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

XBOne 21st May reveal for next Xbox, $500/$300 price tag?

Discussion in 'XBox Hardware & Other Games' started by Martok, 8 Apr 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    The latest rumours circulating about the next Xbox suggest that Microsoft will reveal its next-gen console at an event on 21st May and that it will launch in early November.

The new console will just be called "Xbox" and will retail for around $500 with a lower priced $300 model available with some sort of subscription.

The rumours continue to suggest that the new Xbox will indeed have an "always online" component, though it is still not clear exactly what this is and how it will work.

It also seems that originally there was to be an Xbox version, code-named "Yumo", that was to be for entertainment apps rather than games, but this has been cancelled.

A new budget-priced Xbox 360 model, code-named "Stingray" is also due for release later this year, costing $99. This may mean that the next-gen Xbox won't play Xbox 360 games.

The rumours seem to have originated from Mike Thurrot, a seasoned Microsoft analyst, who spoke on the What the Tech broadcast. You can listen to this in the video below (skip to 54m 44s for the relevant bit on Xbox).

Sources: Eurogamer, VGA247 and The Verge

ChrissPeacock likes this.
  2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    That's a price tag that means business! If that's true we could see some very competitive pricing of these new consoles from the off, great news for us!

People aren't gonna drop this "always online" component thing by the looks of it, even though it's present in every other device these days, including our PS3/360's.

My guess that they'd call the new system 'XBOX' looks to be bang on, I think they are trying to make 'XBOX' the sort of brand that 'Playstation' became very quickly.

Interesting that they have a lower priced model, I really don't think Sony can hope to match that, although if I can get both new systems for £200 each i'll be a very happy man indeed.

I'll actually seriously consider getting a PS4 as well as the new XBOX if those price points are accurate!

3. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Yeah I might be swayed to get both of these but it all depends on build quality actual performance and if it does everything we need. The xbox 360 although it is pay to play online has a much greater chat system and easier to join friends etc compared to the ps3. I hope Sony has fixed this and with the dev input for the ps4 it might be an all round winner. Only problem I have had is several 3shitys all rrod or other problems, on the other hand my PS3 has been flawless since I got it other then the couple of HDD errors, wish it had the OS on a flash on the Mobo rather then everything on the bloody HDD. Let's hope the reveal is better then the Sony ohhh look a controller :-\

If the spec is true from the rumours the ps4 is a better machine as long as it performs as it should. GDR5 vs DDR3 with Esram should be a good competition ;)

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I was going to type something myself, but I thought this report was so spot on I wouldnt be able to put it better......

5. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I cant see either the xBox or PS4 being cheaper than £299 at release. I would expect them to be £350 - £400 .
    If they are within my price range of under £250 then I will probably get a PS4 as i'm getting a bit bored with single player games and I cant get into the controls for FPS games on the PC.

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Can't you get a control pad?

Regarding this news...when I watched the linked video it wasn't saying there would be a lower priced machine for $300 with subscription, it was saying that the console was $500 with a $300 subscription....which has got to be bull, but if that happens to be true then the new XBOX has been removed from the table for me.

7. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I've received an email from zavvi saying I can pre order the Xbox One with them for £399.99
    No thanks was my answer to that.

Slaine likes this.
  8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    That was nice of them.:D

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    That's not a bad price considering the new TV Box One has a device that senses movement and sound that comes with it.

I was expecting a £400 - £550 price tag for both next gens so I'm happy :P

(only getting one this time)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice