• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

13 reasons why I wont be buying a PS 4

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
13 reasons why I wont be buying a PS 4, Or an xBox one , at least for the foreseeable future.
  1. The price, £350 is a lot of money when your disposable income is limited. If I did have a good job again, then I suppose I would have both a PS3 and PS4 and probably an xBox one. However the price of the console is NOT the only reason why I wont be getting a next gen console soon.
  2. Steering wheel incompatible. I do like racing games and love using my racing whell and gamer seat. I am rather annoyed at the fact that my Logitec driving force wheel dosen't work on the PS4. Looks like if I want to racing games i'll be playing them on the PC or PS3. I recently played Forza on the xBox one, its very nice, BUT i have to use a controller which compeatly spoils the expierance. Is this the reason why DriveClub and The crew didn't come out at launch? which leads me to:-
  3. Gran Turisimo, is the best racing game that works with the wheel. It isn't available for the PS4 . I will be getting GT6 when i get bored with the games that I am currently playing. I am also looking forward to a couple of PC race games being developed which will no doubt support my wheel.
  4. GTA V, again not available on the PS4 . I am very suprised that I am still playing this game 4 months after release, I usually get bored with games after a few weeks, but this game is evolving all of the time and there seems to be months of fun in this title.
  5. Currently there are no real exclusives for next gen consoles that float my boat. I was never a Killzone lover , which seems to be the only PS4 exclusive that takes advantage of the better graphics on the next gen consoles. Some of the games are reckoned to be "better" on PS4 . For example Battlefield 4 has 64 players. Well I used to like Battlefield but I think I would struggle a a room with more players on the other side to kill me.
  6. Most games that are being released are being released for all 4 consoles. I dont think its worth paying £50 for a game on a next gen console that can be bought for around £39 on an older console or £30 for a PC version. The PC version has graphics and features on par with the next gen one.
  7. The prices of next gen games are not not coming down much. for example, Black flag,, I paid £18 in the sale for it. Its now reduced to £22 on PS3, £25 xbox 360, £25 PC download, £44 PS4, £48 xBox one. Its not worth paying twice the price for the same game just for better graphics. I played it on my sons xBox one and i could barely notice the difference.
  8. There are so few PS4 games around that you cant buy used ones at a decent price.
  9. As a PS3 user I am not forced to pay for the "privilage" of playing a game online which you have to with other consoles. I can choose Plus membership with my PS3 ansd would never expect to have to pay a supliment to play a PC game online.
  10. Other Peripherals:- You currently cant use any old USB accessory on your PS4. Your headset has to be one on a list of compatible device. If your controller breaks or you want a second one, then its £50 , rather than £30 for a dual shock or £15 - £25 for other makes that work on the PS3. My Wingman controller not only works on the PC it also works on the PS3. Obsolete with next gen consoles
  11. Free to plays, available on the PS4, Not available on the PS3, but I have my PC which not only has a massive amount of free to plays, it also has a huge variety of strategy and simulation games.
  12. My current games wont work on a new console and I still play the odd game on some of my old console.
  13. Media player not veruy good: - from a teccy source.
    If you’re using the device to play 24p movies on Blu-ray (which admittedly will be most people’s usage as far as that format is concerned), it’s all good news. Outside of that use, it’s a worse disc player than the PS3 was at launch, and we hope to see its performance with interlaced video content improved. Also, unlike the PlayStation 3, the PS4 doesn’t support 3D Blu-ray playback at this time of writing.
    Both next-gen consoles have failed in some areas, with neither the Xbox One or the PlayStation 4 being able to play PAL DVDs optimally: the PS4 produces jaggies owed to the lack of film mode detection for PAL content, and the Xbox One produces stutter owed to using an incorrect refresh rate.
I know that someday I will buy a PS 4 , but until a really good EXCLUSIVE to PS4 game comes along, the price of the console and games comes down or my current console breaks , i'll be sticking to my PS3 and PC.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sounds like your trying to convince yourself. Just get one. You know you want too.;)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All very good reasons not to get a PS4 currently. Don't really blame you. I'm glad I've got one, but could quite easily do without. I have mainly just played Netflix on my PS4 recently!
Wait a bit until they update the PS4 software and more games come out.

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I can't think of 1 reason not to own one. :gamer:

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your points there Mr Gadgets, but I myself will still purchase one. Mainly because there are a few games that I am looking forward too playing. Won't be until later on this year though, quite possibly Xmas time. I am having fun with the current PS3 games atm.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was going for 10 good reason but thought of a few more.
I reckon i'll get one when Grand theft V1 or Naughty Bear 3 come out.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm still smarting over year 1 for the PS3.
It was abysmal.
I WILL get a PS4, just not soon.
Much to the dismay & surprise of my mates!
(Friend visiting yesterday had to double-check that I didn't have one!)

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was not aware of some of the technical issues you brought up like peripheral compatibility and had already made up my mind that a PS4 purchase is a long way away for me.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Peripheral compatibility is always an issue with new consoles, cant think of a console that didn`t requires you buy new kit of some sort. Most of the issues Ace raises are valid point for not buying a machine now, but are not good reasons to never buy one. Games will come down in price, peripherals will become more available and new games will soon be hitting the shelves by the truckload. It is alway this way at the start of a new console cycle with a huge release of new hardware and launch games and then nothing for months, something I am quite relieved about, I can crack on with killzone and BF4 without feeling that I am missing all the other great games. As regards the PC, well the PC will always be the cheaper option, provided you can live with a certain level of fiddling about which PC gamers are always telling me doesnt exist, but then seem to do anyway to keep games working on their machines.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Aye.
Tis the first time I'm not being a day 1 adopter & it's quite an unsettling feeling.
I normally have ALL the gadgets.
But now I have a ridiculous amount of debt. :(